First stay at AKL next week -- any tips?

rangerxenos

DIS Veteran
I'm excited to be staying at AKL for the first time next week. Have been there several times for dinner, and to visit, I just love the look and feel.

Any suggestions for things going on a the resort itself? We're two adults, and will probably be spending some time at the resort for at least a couple of days.

Thanks!

Eat at Sanaa for lunch or early dinner and spend time beforehand out on the deck in the back of the Kidani lobby. Very good place to view the savanna. At lunch particularly I have enjoyed meeting and talking Cast members from different countries in Africa who are interesting even inspiring to talk to.

There are some unique gifts at the gift shops at the AK resort gift shops. I have buying bags of Joffrey coffee for the last couple of years. Highly recommended.

Food wise - definitely try Boma for dinner. Depending on how your dinner habits are I would recommend a reservation (I'm not too familiar with crowds during April)

I found this list for activities.

Be sure to ask for a list when you check-in to the hotel. A sampling of the recent programs offered at the resort (all programs subject to change without notice):

--flamingo feedings at the Flamingo Pond
--animal tracking at Arusha Rock
--Music of the Savanna in the Sunset Lounge
--wildlife games in the Sunset Lounge
--African games and crafts on the Uzima Pool Deck
--cultural safari in the Sunset Lounge
--animal viewing with Night Vision - We caught the tail end of this on our last trip and it was actually really interesting.
--Cookie decorating at Boma
Outside, at the Arusha Rock, there is nightly African storytelling next to Ogun's Firepit. (Storytelling is held indoors in the event of inclement weather.) If you have the opportunity, take the time to speak with the storytellers.
-- movies under the stars - On our trip in 2013 it rained and they moved this inside into a corner of the main lobby of the Jambo house. It was fun but it was definitely used as a hotspot for parking children while the parents play.

There is a comfortable sitting area to the left of the lobby with a savannah view. Usually deserted at dusk and at night, a nice quiet place to relax for the both of you to catch up on the day or for a short quiet break.

In addition to whatever is displayed in the main lobby, the elevator lobbies on each floor have a small display of African "artifacts". Doesn't take much time to explore them and can be interesting if you have some extra resort time.

The night vision viewing at Arusha Rock was really different, of course depends on what animals are there. Always an interesting conversation with the CM there.

The storytelling is not too long, we often enjoyed this, and rocking chairs around the fire pit are so relaxing.

Both breakfast and dinner at Boma is outstanding!

Meals at Boma are really good, but also don't hesitate to grab some of the unique stuff downstairs at the Mara for quick serve. Their breakfast options are quite good! You can get more than just the standard waffles/eggs/whatever.

There's a great public balcony with rocking chairs above the fire pit area. I can't remember exactly how to access it, other than it's behind the lobby to the right, past the big glass windows. While it's not the best for seeing the animals, it's a great place to just watch the entire overlook and it is an absolutely amazing experience in a nighttime thunderstorm.

Walk up and down the room hallways/trails. There's plenty of public viewing areas as well as more art and costume displays at most junctions & elevators, its not just centered around the lobby & pool. We had a viewing area & chairs almost always to ourselves all the way near the end of the zebra trail.

Cocktail/spirits enthusiast here.

Go to the Victoria Falls lounge which is a neat little bar area that is between the main lobby and the Boma restaurant. The feel/ambiance is great, it looks up in the lobby, and overlooks the Boma floor space, which is great for folks like me who appreciate the resorts just as much as the parks.

But here's one more for you: the Victoria Falls lounge serves a product called Van Der Hum, which is a spiced tangerine liqueur from South Africa. It's almost impossible to get in America anymore, but for some reason, AKL and the Dawa Bar at the Animal Kingdom are the only places in the country I know that sell it. Whenever we're at WDW, we always get at LEAST 1 Van Der Hum a day!

Enjoy!

As someone suggested, The Mara has great QS food. I loved having lunch there last time we stayed at Kidani (note: the Mara is at the main Lodge aka Jambo House). Also, if you don't have a Savanna view room, anywhere you can view the animals is great. They are what make staying there for me.
If nothing else take time to walk the grounds, it is a beautiful calming resort. ENJOY!

Love the dining at AKL. Saana for lunch!! When it's light enough to see the savanna! And great food. It's a short walk over to Kidani and fun to explore there too.
Make time for the evening Cultural Safari in Sunset room, just off lobby. Presentations are so interesting and well done. The Cultural Representatives really put a lot of work into their presentations. But I don't think many know what it is, so don't bother to check it out.

Night viewing on the savanna is fun, you get to try the night vision scopes!

Eat at Sanaa, Mara, Boma and Jiko!!! Wonderful food!

Spend some time relaxing and enjoying the resort! It is amazing!

Thanks so much for the tips! I went to Boma for dinner last year when I was there, it was fantastic and I plan on doing that again. Have also heard breakfast is excellent, so I plan on trying that at least once as well.

For a fantastic dinner I highly recommend Jiko's. I had one of the best meals ever at WDW this past January. The food is "different" and for some maybe even outside their comfort zone but if you're like me and love trying new things, this will be a great culinary experience.
The African wine collection is fantastic. If you decide to dine at Jiko's, don't forget to try Pumba! It was quite delicious!

In addition to Jiko and Sanaa, take some time to enjoy the Victoria Falls lounge for some delicious drinks and appetizers

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter