• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First Stay @ AKV

Beast2Prince

Mouseketeer
We just booked our first ever stay @ AKV-Kidani in a standard view studio. We typically stay @ OKW, but thought we'd try something different. Any information, tips, ideas for a first timer would be greatly appreciated. Will be traveling with DW, DS (9), and DD (5). We'll have our own car and will be doing a grocery stop as well, if that helps. TIA!!

We will be doing our first stay at AKL Kidani this summer too.

Here's some key things I've learned so far:

* Room request - for a standard, you might want to request near the pool or near the lobby. Some rooms are a far walk to the lobby, bus stop and pool for a 5 year old. (But car parking stretches under the building so that is not too bad a walk.)

* At least one bus route stops back at Jambo house to get over there instead of walking. Don't bother driving as the parking is farther out and probably not worth the effort.

* Eat at Boma at least once! Exotic flavors, something different, don't be afraid, you will find plenty you like to eat.

* For groceries and supplies, look at google maps and learn the back way out to US 192 from AKL on Sherberth Road. Head west and you will soon reach Super Target and Publix. A little farther, to US 27, and turn right to find Super Wal-Mart and Starbucks.

* Walk the paths in front of Jambo House to find animal viewing areas and guides in the evening. We saw giraffes so close!

We just booked our first stay at AKV on rented points for the first week in June. This is a dream come true trip for us. We never thougt it would be in the buget to stay Savannah view. All of these pointers are great! Anyone have any other helpful hints?

ETA: I know what else I wanted to know: Cna Kidani guests swim at the Jambo pool? We have stayed at POFQ in the past and been able to use all the facilities at POR so I was wondering if it was the same here?

We just booked our first ever stay @ AKV-Kidani in a standard view studio. We typically stay @ OKW, but thought we'd try something different. Any information, tips, ideas for a first timer would be greatly appreciated. Will be traveling with DW, DS (9), and DD (5). We'll have our own car and will be doing a grocery stop as well, if that helps. TIA!!

night vision & jiko

Yes, Kidani guests can swim at Jambo and vice-versa.

The slide at Kidani is longer, and they have a cool splash area. I think the Jambo pool is actually larger.

AKL is our home resort, and we love it so relaxing :goodvibes

ETA: I know what else I wanted to know: Cna Kidani guests swim at the Jambo pool? We have stayed at POFQ in the past and been able to use all the facilities at POR so I was wondering if it was the same here?

Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge (which includes the Villas) is a single resort with two buildings (Jambo House and Kidani Village). As a guest of the resort, you can use any of the standard resort amenities at either building.

Yes, Kidani guests can swim at Jambo and vice-versa.

The slide at Kidani is longer, and they have a cool splash area. I think the Jambo pool is actually larger.

AKL is our home resort, and we love it so relaxing :goodvibes

Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge (which includes the Villas) is a single resort with two buildings (Jambo House and Kidani Village). As a guest of the resort, you can use any of the standard resort amenities at either building.

Thanks! Great to know. We had a wonderful time visitng with a bartender at the Jambo pool bar when we were there to eat at Boma in November. DD REALLY wants a chance to swim in that pool this time around!

Just added on DVC points at AKV and booked our 1st stay as well (for Xmas with DH's entire family). I too can't wait...AKL has been my dream resort since our very 1st family trip to WDW in 2003.

Boma!!! (for dinner - and breakfast is very good, too ...)

There's tons of things to see and do at Kidani and Jambo House, so plan on spending some time just roaming the resorts. Get the "activity calendar" first thing and check out all the things you'll be missing while at a park ... :)

A word of warning: you probably won't want to stay at OKW after Kidani ...

Just added on DVC points at AKV and booked our 1st stay as well (for Xmas with DH's entire family). I too can't wait...AKL has been my dream resort since our very 1st family trip to WDW in 2003.

How wonderful! Enjoy that very special vacation!

Bobbi:goodvibes

We are staying here in September for the first time also! We are sooo excited. Has anyone ate at Sanaa? Is it good and ok for kids? Mine are 4 and 6. I thought they would like the view at dinner..

I love Sanna, we eat there every time we stayed at AKV. Both of my kids ate there on the last trip, they were 5 and 9. The kids like it because they can watch the animals.

Enjoy your trip :thumbsup2

Use the buses to get from Kidani to Jambi. Jambo has a bigger resort gift shop and a quick service. Jump on any bus that is going to a resort as these buses stop at Kidani first and then Jambo. To get back to Kidani take the down town Disney bus.

We are hoping to get a AKV stay the first week in december. Still debating which days. Any suggestions for which AKV to stay in. I will be traveling with DH and DS(11).

We are hoping to get a AKV stay the first week in december. Still debating which days. Any suggestions for which AKV to stay in. I will be traveling with DH and DS(11).

Christmas decorations and cooler than summer weather are very popular with DVC regulars, so it may be difficult finding a DVC room this "late"

I generally make my AKV room choice by room type. Jambo for a studio (or Grand Villa ;) ). Kidani for a 1 or 2 BR.

The Jambo 1BR have a weird bathroom with the shower in the Jacuzzi tub, so I'll try to avoid those, now.
But Jambo has more dining options, including breakfast...so that makes life easier with a studios small kitchenette.

Kidani studios are actually a little larger, and there are DVC units on floors 2-4 so you can get a little closer than Jambo's floor 5.
Kidani's big advantage is the 1 and 2BR have a huge master bath with seperate shower, plus an extra full bath off the living room.
Kidani has a better pool slide, if the weather cooperates.
If you stay in Kidani, they have nice Christmas decorations, but Jambo's huge tree in its larger lobby is amazing!

Stayed at AKV for my first time last week. I was alone with DS and I chose Jambo. Wanted the quick service option without having to take the bus. We got a pool view room, but spent a lot of time watching animals from the balconies open to all. The pool was really nice. DD (9) said the slide was "lame" (stayed at BC last trip...great slide). I felt very relaxed here.

Any information on the Safari dinner I read about only available to those staying in AKV. What are the prices, when do we need to book, and is it workth it?

Stayed at AKV for my first time last week. I was alone with DS and I chose Jambo. Wanted the quick service option without having to take the bus. We got a pool view room, but spent a lot of time watching animals from the balconies open to all. The pool was really nice. DD (9) said the slide was "lame" (stayed at BC last trip...great slide). I felt very relaxed here.

The Jambo slide is very mild.
It's great if you are 4 and are looking for your first "big" slide

Kidani has a much more entertaining slide, but the actual pool is smaller.

Any information on the Safari dinner I read about only available to those staying in AKV. What are the prices, when do we need to book, and is it workth it?

Last time I took it it was $190. That included the tour of the savannahs in a truck, and then a multi-course dinner at Jiko. The whole experience takes about 3 hours. I've been fortunate enough to do it twice, and thought it was really worth it. Another experience that's less costly, but also of interest to anyone who loves animals is "Lunch with an Animal Keeper" at Sanaa. There you have luch with one of the animal keepers at the Lodge. Very interesting, I thought!

Thanks everyone for the information. We have stayed at AKL-Jambo before, but this will be our first stay at Kidani. Good to hear about the slide, I'm sure our DS will love it. We'll have to try the night vision this time too. Thanks again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter