First solo trip

stitch1986

Stitch Lvr
Ok so this is my first solo trip and I am scared :/ now I know I have posted before about going solo and then last minute someone always goes with me, but this time it is for real.
I think I am more afraid of not talking to someone while eating and the fact that people will think I am a loner or something :/ plus I dont know what to do really when I am there I know I will be doing the parks, and I am going to a wedding as well during that time but the other times not sure what to do.
I am going Nov 9-16,2011.

You will be fine! I'm jealous as I loved my solo trips! I even did a buffet alone and my server was great when she knew I was alone - I got seated in a corner so I could people watch while I ate, and I wrote in my journal as well. And no one will judge you - anyone I talked to in line for some attractions (and I'm generally shy and don't strike up conversations all the time), were always impressed I could do the parks alone (some women with children seemed a little green with envy at my free time to do what I wanted when I wanted).
Just take it all in, talk to people when you feel like it, keep to yourself when you feel like it. It's so nice to wander and take in things you don't normally notice because you're rushing to the next thing with someone in tow. And you'll be there for the Christmas decorations, so enjoy that too - I liked to visit all the resorts and check out all the gift shops.
Have fun, enjoy not sharing a bathroom at your hotel, and leaving your room when you're ready without waiting for everyone else to be on time!
(Did I mention I'm jealous?):goodvibes

:) lol thxs I might bring a book to write down what I have done and what not, i know i am going to ohana for breakfast and I am gonna walk from the GF on the beach to Poly :) i know i am wanting to do disneyquest so might do that or something cause usually they have u play in groups from what I recall :) what are things to do for solo? any recomm? where to go or eat

You will be fine! I'm jealous as I loved my solo trips! I even did a buffet alone and my server was great when she knew I was alone - I got seated in a corner so I could people watch while I ate, and I wrote in my journal as well. And no one will judge you - anyone I talked to in line for some attractions (and I'm generally shy and don't strike up conversations all the time), were always impressed I could do the parks alone (some women with children seemed a little green with envy at my free time to do what I wanted when I wanted).
Just take it all in, talk to people when you feel like it, keep to yourself when you feel like it. It's so nice to wander and take in things you don't normally notice because you're rushing to the next thing with someone in tow. And you'll be there for the Christmas decorations, so enjoy that too - I liked to visit all the resorts and check out all the gift shops.
Have fun, enjoy not sharing a bathroom at your hotel, and leaving your room when you're ready without waiting for everyone else to be on time!
(Did I mention I'm jealous?):goodvibes

I totally agree with this! I know there were people that I would talk to (standing in line for a ride or a character picture) would find out that I was doing the parks solo that thought it was the coolest thing that I could do that. you have to be very assured of yourself and somewhat independent to do it; trust me, most people are so self-absorbed (not in a bad way) that they don't even realize you're alone. I've said this to other first time solo travelers, take a book, play on your phone, take pictures and just enjoy the magic that is Disney. I took my Nintendo DS with me for every meal and all my servers would "help" me play.
as for activities to do, anything you would do with someone else you can do solo, sometimes faster! take advantage of single rider lines, fast passes and that last seat they need to fill in order to start the ride.

Whenever I do WDW alone I never feel uncomfortable about being there alone. This is your first time doing a solo trip, so at first it might feel a little weird, but just relax and I know you will have a great time.

Enjoy your trip!!! I have gone solo a handful of times, and have had a great time!!! You'll find people in lines, CM's are usually easy to say hi to and talk with. When dining, I've written post-cards, "looked busy" on my iPhone, talked with the server. I've never had anyone say anything to me unusual!!! Again, CM's can be easy to talk with. Take it all in!!!!

I go solo all the time, at least once a year and love it. One thing I do enjoy is taking the backstage tours. They're informative and fun.

Ok so this is my first solo trip and I am scared :/ now I know I have posted before about going solo and then last minute someone always goes with me, but this time it is for real.
I think I am more afraid of not talking to someone while eating and the fact that people will think I am a loner or something :/ plus I dont know what to do really when I am there I know I will be doing the parks, and I am going to a wedding as well during that time but the other times not sure what to do.

Great dates to be in the parks. Not usually too busy. For me, solo is absolutely wonderful. I can talk to everyone, or no one, eat where I want, do what I want, stay in the hotel I want, and ride the rides you want. . .

:) lol thxs I might bring a book to write down what I have done and what not, i know i am going to ohana for breakfast and I am gonna walk from the GF on the beach to Poly :) i know i am wanting to do disneyquest so might do that or something cause usually they have u play in groups from what I recall :) what are things to do for solo? any recomm? where to go or eat

Okay, for eating I usually recommend sitting at the bar in restaurants that have it. California Grill, Tune Inn Lounge at 50's Prime Time and The Bar at Jiko are some of my favorites. They serve the full menu at the bar. There are others. . .I just happen to like these the best. Rides are no issue. . .ride anything. Talk to everyone in line (did I mention that I don't have a shy bone in my body?), and enjoy yourself. . .

I totally agree with this! I know there were people that I would talk to (standing in line for a ride or a character picture) would find out that I was doing the parks solo that thought it was the coolest thing that I could do that. you have to be very assured of yourself and somewhat independent to do it; trust me, most people are so self-absorbed (not in a bad way) that they don't even realize you're alone. I've said this to other first time solo travelers, take a book, play on your phone, take pictures and just enjoy the magic that is Disney. I took my Nintendo DS with me for every meal and all my servers would "help" me play.
as for activities to do, anything you would do with someone else you can do solo, sometimes faster! take advantage of single rider lines, fast passes and that last seat they need to fill in order to start the ride.

Everything she has said, I totally agree. . .

Enjoy your trip!!! I have gone solo a handful of times, and have had a great time!!! You'll find people in lines, CM's are usually easy to say hi to and talk with. When dining, I've written post-cards, "looked busy" on my iPhone, talked with the server. I've never had anyone say anything to me unusual!!! Again, CM's can be easy to talk with. Take it all in!!!!

Exactly. . .love it.

well now that you guys are saying you guys go solo a lot I dont feel that uncomfortable. I have been planning on where I want to eat and that I need 2 more places for TS and as I am thinking I am like I probably will change where I go other then just to eat at the places and thats it :) I will be having my nook and iphone so should be interesting :)
I cant wait :) I am getting a little bit excited but I think once it gets closer I will be but thanks to all of you for the info and will be taking it all in and i love taking pics all the time as well :) i am thinking of doing a the photopass cd as well :)

You will have a great time! When I went solo I had a great time. I had many super conversations with people and got to spend more time at certain attractions that other people in my past parties might rush me through. WDW is a great place to go solo if you are shy.

Dont worry:hippie: Going solo is a lot of fun! And trust me, WDW is the one place where you can strike up a conversation with mostly anybody and they'll be glad to engage in some friendly conversation:thumbsup2 since most people are there on vacation they seem to always be happy to meet new people. I've met tons of people going solo! In fact, sometimes i'd rather go solo just bc theres no distractions. you'll get to do all the things you want to do on your own pace and time. You'll have a ton of fun!!:yay:

well now that you guys are saying you guys go solo a lot I dont feel that uncomfortable. I have been planning on where I want to eat and that I need 2 more places for TS and as I am thinking I am like I probably will change where I go other then just to eat at the places and thats it :) I will be having my nook and iphone so should be interesting :)
I cant wait :) I am getting a little bit excited but I think once it gets closer I will be but thanks to all of you for the info and will be taking it all in and i love taking pics all the time as well :) i am thinking of doing a the photopass cd as well :)

you really will have a good time, I think I have more fun eating and taking pictures (I have over 1500 pictures that I've taken since 2009) than I do riding. plus it's so much fun to people watch and shop at your own pace. there's so much to do and see you really will forget that you're alone

:) thxs everyone :) i am thinking of doing jelly rolls however curious as to how much taxi fare will be to get to GF from there :/

I've been solo in WDW about 3/4 times. I LOVE IT! I suggest that you rent a car, so you'll really have a lot of freedom! Remember that Disney World is a tourist area, so there will be signs EVERYWHERE! It's hard to get lost, and if you do, you'll figure out how to get back on track. I was able to get a car on priceline for $10 a day. So go for it! You'll have a great time.

When you get a chance, check out one of my solo trip reports in my siggie below. :thumbsup2

I LOVE going solo!
When I'm eating at TS I am always people watching and other families are enjoying their vacations and don't pay any attention to others in the restaurant. When I've waited for fantasmic I've had my kindle and surprisingly waiting for an hour and reading a good book is always relaxing.
Have a great trip and relish in the fact that you can do what you want when you want it is very relaxing!

I just did my first solo trip in May. It was so wonderful! :goodvibes:

I was able to see and do many many things that I just couldn't get to on previous trips like tasting all of the sodas in the Cool Club, sitting through all 5 sets of Off Kilter in Canada, riding Expedition Everest multiple times, and I created my own passport for the World Showcase that I had stamped and signed by CM at each country. It made for interesting conversations with the cast members.

You will have so much fun!

I totally agree, and try to remind myself the same. I am going on my first solo trip for seven days 8/31-9/6. I'm a little scared, too. I am going to celebrate my mom's life. She passed away February 20th.

I am going solo because most of my friends don't have the time or the enthusiasm to go to Disney World.

I hope you have a wonderful time!!!!!!:wizard::wizard::goodvibes:goodvibes

:) thxs everyone :) i am thinking of doing jelly rolls however curious as to how much taxi fare will be to get to GF from there :/

Not sure how much a taxi fare would be.. i wouldnt think it would be too much. but you should def. go to Jelly Rolls! Its a blast:banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter