First solo trip after 16 years as a DVC member

TreesyB

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone! I'm planning my first solo trip in September after a hellacious summer of work. I'm staying at Saratoga Springs in 1 bedroom with kitchen. Definitely going to indulge in spa... what's the best spa? I've done Saratoga Spa before, another indulgence? I'm planning on getting the Undercover Tourist 4 +2 park hopper. Do you think I should get a car? I might end up outlet shopping too much. My mind is racing, I haven't been to Disney since probably 2013. I've been more an Aulani goer. But i have to use my points.

What's a single gal in her 50's to do without her kiddo who is now in his 20's and too busy for Disney with mom? Oh the possibilities! 🤯

I’ve traveled solo a bunch of times. I usually don’t get a car, but that’s mainly because I don’t want the extra expense given how little I use it once I’m on property. I do love the character warehouse so there is definitely a perk to having a car should you opt for one. I like to make a few table service reservations here and there and have had some great meals on my own. I haven’t done any of the spas but I regularly here wonderful things about the spa at Saratoga and also the spa at the Swan/Dolphin. You’ll have such good fun.

Mandara Spa is my favorite!! Last trip I tried the GF Spa and it was wonderful but Manadara is still my favorite, Then I wander the Boardwalk for a little bit, have a lunch or breakfast afterwards. I've gone solo quite a few times now and always get a car. I like coming and going and not waiting for buses. Only take the bus to Epcot during the festivals if I'm having some cocktails ;) Have so much fun! I'm a 50 year old Mom too and enjoy my solo trips. Do what you want when you want, go on rides, take your time in shops, take pictures, eat at restaurants, sleep in, I even day tripped to the beach with a car. Enjoy!

It's almost definitely cheaper to Uber or use Disney transportation everywhere rather than renting a car as one person. Kroger and Instacart seem to be the two best grocery delivery services, rather than spending time going on your own.

Other advice: try Genie+ for a day. As one person the cost isn't as big of a deal, and it saves me 3 to 4 hours a day.

Last edited:

Hey, another solo in a 1 Bedroom! I had a different reaction, though. Because of my disability, I use a walker at home, and just had a cane at WDW (well, besides the ECV I rented). So the 1 Bedroom involved more walking (or rather, attempted walking) than I'm used to. Anyways, I do love staying at BCV. If you like BWV, the Boardwalk View villas have the best views (closely followed by the lake view at VGF-that's where I had a 1 BR) I really enjoyed just sitting in my villa, watching the boats all day and the Electric Water Pagent at night. Enjoy!

Update on my plans and thanks for everyone who responded.
First... my work brain is slowly winding down... NO WORK EMAILS ALL WEEKEND YAY!
when I was lucky to have early check in. I went into the check in area and asked a cast member even though I had checked in online and they found me a great room right away. Then I drove to Disney Springs (yup I got the car) and had lunch - I think traveling by bus is still better. And while at lunch I booked the Grand Floridian spa to get my nails done. I couldn't get both manicure and pedicure, so I just opted for a pedicure which I really needed after all that travel. I drove to Grand Floridian (when you have an appointment they just let you park). And as I was getting my pedicure, I mentioned that I had wanted a manicure but wasn't able to get both appointments. The lovely cast member Archita went to the front desk after my pedicure and secured me a manicure appointment! Oh my goodness were they both divine and now I'm ready for my holiday!

Booked the Mandara spa today.

Booked all my park reservations while I was in the Disney headspace!

Did Food & Wine yesterday. And now I'm doing a little bit of work before I go shopping at Disney Springs and getting some lunch. So divine! I'm so thankful for this board and all your help! More to come! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter