First Return in Nearly Five Years - Tips?

mika911

DIS Veteran
Our family was on a bit of a Disney run 2005-2012. More than a dozen Disneyland trips, plus WDW and Disneyland Paris.

However, we have not been to Disneyland since early 2012.

We are planning to return for some short visits this summer. I know there was massive ticketing changes so I had a couple questions.

First, we planned to buy 3 Day Park Hoppers and upgrade them to So Cal Select on the last day. Is this still allowed? Also, are you allowed to use the So Cal Select on that 3rd day we upgrade it (visits won't be consecutive either but within the 13 days obviously).

Second, same day Fast Pass could still be used expired in early 2012, but I know that is no longer the case. Are there any great new tips to use the strict version? DL has never implemented a booking of rides before visiting either?

Finally, the security always seems stricter in what you can bring in. Has there been anything dramatic in this regard? Is a sealed water bottle still ok? Still mainly a bag check for foods or whatnot?

Thanks

...we have not been to Disneyland since early 2012...
DCA was still under construction during your last visit. You will love Cars Land and Buena Vista Street.

...we planned to buy 3 Day Park Hoppers and upgrade them to So Cal Select on the last day. Is this still allowed? Also, are you allowed to use the So Cal Select on that 3rd day we upgrade it (visits won't be consecutive either but within the 13 days obviously).
Upgrades are still allowed, and APs are always valid on the day of purchase.

... same day Fast Pass could still be used expired in early 2012, but I know that is no longer the case. Are there any great new tips to use the strict version? DL has never implemented a booking of rides before visiting either?
There is no advance FP booking. There if FP for both WOC and Frozen, these "show" passes should be a priority in the morning (and have no effect on "ride" passes).

...the security always seems stricter in what you can bring in. Has there been anything dramatic in this regard? Is a sealed water bottle still ok? Still mainly a bag check for foods or whatnot?
There are now metal detectors. Policy for food and drinks have not changed.
Toy guns are no longer allowed, and no selfie-sticks.

Disneyland now has an official app, which includes the current return times for FPs. It means you don't have to walk to the FP distribution location anymore to see what time they're distributing (unfortunately, the app does not include the times for the show FPs (WoC, Frozen at the Hyperion)). I've found the app to be very useful. Have a great trip!

To get a sense of some of the new things that have been added recently, check out this thread:
http://www.disboards.com/threads/list-of-changes-since-summer-2014.3516777/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter