First Not So Scary - need costume ideas for child in wheelchair

seidelhd

Mouseketeer
We are planning our annual October trip to the World and are going to take the kids to the Halloween Party for the first time. DD is 10, globally delayed, and in a wheelchair. I'm trying to think of a good family costume we can do, including her in her wheelchair. I generally lift her out of the chair to transfer on to rides. My other kids are DS 8 and DD 4.

The only thing I can come up with is X-Men and have her be Professor Xavier and the rest of us other characters. My wife is not a big fan of that idea though, and I would like something more feminine for her.

We love going to WDW because of how great all the cast members treat her and this would be something fun and new for us.

I welcome any costume ideas. Thanks!

We are planning our annual October trip to the World and are going to take the kids to the Halloween Party for the first time. DD is 10, globally delayed, and in a wheelchair. I'm trying to think of a good family costume we can do, including her in her wheelchair. I generally lift her out of the chair to transfer on to rides. My other kids are DS 8 and DD 4.

The only thing I can come up with is X-Men and have her be Professor Xavier and the rest of us other characters. My wife is not a big fan of that idea though, and I would like something more feminine for her.

We love going to WDW because of how great all the cast members treat her and this would be something fun and new for us.

I welcome any costume ideas. Thanks!

My daughter is 10 & we will be attending a MNSSHP. She will be using her chair the whole time we are there. She is dressing up as Minnie Mouse with a red, black & white tut, ears, & a Minnie t-shirt. We have found that as long as it can be tucked underneath of their bottoms while in the chair, it can be worn!! :0) We usually try to stick to shorter skirts, as they seem to work better. Good luck & have fun!!

The wheelchair does not need to be part of her costume. She can be anything she'd like to be for Halloween (princess, Minnie, Tink, ghost, witch, etc). If you want to do a theme, just figure out something that works for the five of you and go with it.

We were there last year and there were quite a few children in wheelchairs wearing every costume you could think of. I didn't notice any using the chair as part of the costume I think it would make it way more complicated

:) One of my favs was seeing a family of five--Mom was Cruella and everyone else was a dalmation--including Dad.

This was my DD last year. She was a fairy, complete with wings.
Vidia noticed DD had her colors and asked if she was a Fast Flyer like Vidia is and said she really liked DD’s Fast Flying contraption.
DD nodded yes and I added that she has a faster Flying Contraption at home. Vidia was impressed.

DisneyPhotoImage74.JPG

The costume is actually an apron - skirt in the front and nothing uncomfortable or bulky to sit on.

We usually try to incorporate DS12's chair into his costume. Here are some of the ones we have done in the past (no attending MNSSHP)

-Batman - decorated chair as batmobile
-Jack Sparrow - decorated chair as a pirate ship
-Ambulance driver
-Golfer in golf cart
-Skier on a ski lift - attached parts of skiis to footplates
-Cowboy - decorated chair as horse

We usually incorporated PVC and fabric to make the shells around the chair. It's actually pretty inexpensive and easy to do. (remember Tinker Toys?)

We are going to our first MNSSHP this year. Packing a costume presents a whole new challenge. We are considering being a Hershey's kiss (covering chair with a silver poncho) or a roller skate (covering chair with a poncho that has big "laces" on the front)

Have fun with it!

WLL

Thanks for the replies and ideas. We decided to go with Peter Pan (8yo DS), Captain Hook (me), Wendy (DD in wheelchair), Tink (4yo DD), and the alligator (my wonderful wife).

We are doing the MNSSHP on 10/16. 2 weeks from tonight!

Instead of your wife as the alligator, she could dress in Victorian style clothes and goes as Wendy's Mom.

We usually try to incorporate DS12's chair into his costume. Here are some of the ones we have done in the past (no attending MNSSHP)

-Batman - decorated chair as batmobile
-Jack Sparrow - decorated chair as a pirate ship
-Ambulance driver
-Golfer in golf cart
-Skier on a ski lift - attached parts of skiis to footplates
-Cowboy - decorated chair as horse

We usually incorporated PVC and fabric to make the shells around the chair. It's actually pretty inexpensive and easy to do. (remember Tinker Toys?)

We are going to our first MNSSHP this year. Packing a costume presents a whole new challenge. We are considering being a Hershey's kiss (covering chair with a silver poncho) or a roller skate (covering chair with a poncho that has big "laces" on the front)

Have fun with it!

WLL

How creative. I would lover to see photos.

One time for a parade, we dressed DD up as the Queen of Hearts. The WC was decked out as a throne. I dressed up as a lady in waiting to push the chair, and everyone else dressed up as a deck of cards using bristol board.

Years ago my neighbors dressed their daughter up as Rapunzel and her chair was the tower. I think they used cardboard around the chair.

For rides that incorporate the wheelchair -

If you plan to lift her out of the wheelchair for rides, you need to make sure whatever you do to her chair doesn't get in the way.

Also, if she will be going on the bus and has a wheelchair that can be tied down on the bus, you need to make sure that the wheelchair part of the costume doesn't interfere with ability to attach it.

My DD has also been a witch with a broom attached to the side of her wheelchair. She was using her power wheelchair so we just had to make sure the broom was high enough to clear the wheels. That would not have worked with her manual wheelchair.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter