First installment, 11 May trip report

tkd lisa

An old school dis boarder
Cast: Me, TKD Lisa, age 37, trip planner
DH, Tim, age 44, along for the ride
DD, Kaylie, age 10
DS, Casey, age 8 ½

Pre-Trip and embarkation

First off, let me say this is my first trip report, so if I ramble a bit, just skip ahead to the good parts. I felt like I should write a report, because I can’t tell you how many reports I enjoyed while planning this trip.

The trip down:

We took the day off work and took the kids to school for the majority of the day. I had an appointment for a pre-trip spa treatment, so I dropped the kids at school and headed up to the spa. I had my eyelashes tinted so I didn’t need to wear mascara on the trip. It was only $15, so it was probably worth it. I don’t think I’d do it on a regular basis though. DH finished the laundry from the week, and got the house ready for us to be gone for 10 days. We picked up the kids at 2:30 then headed to Washington’s National airport for a 7:00 flight. We had dinner at Hop’s, which is a chain similar to Applebee’s. Our flight left on time, and we landed in Orlando about 9:15, a few minutes early. We rented a one-day car from Hertz, which was pretty convenient and stayed at the Amerisuites NE. We checked in, went swimming for about ½ hour and turned in for the night.

Embarkation Day:

I couldn’t sleep, (surprise surprise), so I went downstairs about 5:30 and got some coffee and wrote a few notes in my passporter. The passporter was a convenient place to keep track of things, but it’s really not geared for the cruise. I understand they are doing a cruise version for next year and maybe it would have been better suited. I did use it for the Magic Kingdom day at the end of the trip.

The family got up around 7:00 and we had the breakfast at the hotel. It was a typical hotel buffet, but the price was right. I booked directly with the hotel using a AAA rate and got a price of $69. They did have an airport shuttle if we hadn’t had a car. Next stop, Downtown Disney. DD wanted a pair of Pluto Earrings for her newly pierced ears, and DS wanted the new Lego Bionicles. So we plugged Downtown Disney into our on-board “Neverlost” computer and it took us right there. That was pretty cool!! We got to DD about 9:15 and waited for the stores to open at 9:30. We were wearing our way cool lime green tie-dyed DIS Inaugural Western T-shirts, and got several comments on them. It also helped us find the kids when they wandered off! To make a long story short, they didn’t have Pluto earrings, so we got Mickey ones instead. DD also picked up a stuffed Pluto. DS got his Bionicle and bought the Magical Moments handheld game, which held his attention for the entire trip over to the port.

We drove to the Port and dropped our luggage around 10:45, then headed to RonJons to get the SafeSea lotion. WHAT A ZOO!!! No-one in that store knows where anything is! Anyway, from there we returned the car to Hertz in Cocoa Beach and headed back to the ship. Due to the wonderful shuttle schedule, we didn’t get back to the port til about 2:00 and weren’t on board til about 3:00. We found our stateroom (7005, way forward), and started putting a few things away. Tim took the kids to the pool while I went to take charging off their cards and get the hairbraiding appointment for DD. We agreed for me to bring the lifejackets and meet them at the safety drill. Hairbraiding couldn’t be reserved until the next day, so I went back to unpack and wait for the lifeboat drill.

Now for the major bummer of the first day, which did NOT start our trip off well. About 2 minutes before the drill alarm, DH and DS came into the room and said is Kaylie here? Needless to say, she wasn’t! The alarm went off, and we left the room. I tried desperately to get someone to help find her, but basically, all services are suspended during the lifeboat drill. I ran up to the pool to see if she was still there while DH and DS went to our station on Deck 4. Finally, the staff made me go to the lifeboat station too. StephMarty were right next to us and can certainly attest to my being pretty darned frantic! When the lifeboat leader asked why I had an extra life jacket, I said because my daughter is LOST and I can’t find anyone who cares!!

The drill was over, I went back to the room. There was a message light on, but I couldn’t get into the mailbox. I called guest services who told me to send someone down to the lifeboat station, and keep one of us in the stateroom. Eventually, there was a knock on the door, and two counselors from the kids club had her. We went down for DH and everyone finally calmed down. She had heard someone say “Go down to the stateroom with your Mom” and thought it was her dad. She got confused and went to 7050. No one was there, but the steward opened the door since she was pounding so frantically (it was during the drill). When no one was there, the steward took her to the kid’s club. Since we hadn’t been able to check her in yet, it took a while to figure out where she belonged. So the moral of the story is to check the kids into the club FIRST THING! Then they tag them so you know who they belong to.

I think that’s enough for the first chapter. I’ll post the first evening, together with Key West Day next. I hope you enjoy it!

TKD LISA

OMG Lisa I don't blame u for being frantic. But couldn't someone ask her her name, first and last name and then look it up to see what room she was in. I have a story to write also, but its long and I have alot going on today, but Iwill post it.

Joanne, that's eventually what they did. But during the lifeboat drill, they don't do ANYTHING but the drill. Kind of nuts isn't it. They just kept saying that she couldn't go anywhere so she's safe. I know that it's relatively safe, but there are nuts anywhere! Anyway, it worked out fine!

Funny part of it was that she had grabbed DH's lime green t-shirt when she left the pool. She apparently dropped it in the other room, and was freezing. The counselors gave her one of the t-shirts the kids got in the show, and she was really proud of it. We left a note for room 7050 thanking them for helping our daughter (at that time, we thought they were in the room and called guest services, later we found out that it was empty), and they hung the shirt on our door!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter