• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First floor rooms...issues with snakes, critters?

Never.

Though last spring, a very cute little gecko found it's way inside the Grand Floridian. It was very near a door, but not in the resort room, just in one of the outer buildings. At first I thought it was a lizard, but it moved too slow, had cute gecko eyes, and the pads on its feet. Before that I did not know of geckos in FL!

Othrwise outside of buildings we have seen some critters: bunnies, a few small gators, lizards, squireels, armadillos. We also saw deer, but not at the resort. There are also plenty of birds. Last trip we saw a family of baby ducks- very cute. Birds can sometimes steal food!

It also amazes me that I've NEVER seen a fly at WDW. All those animals, no flies. If we come home with one mosquito bite, that's slightly unsual.

The only insect that has been a slight problem of sorts is the love bugs. They don't do anything, but they come out for a short period en masse to mate. The only issue they pose is that there are quite a few. They are often paired, clumsy and slow. Even still, they did not get in our way at all, we just noticed them. If you were driving though, they may land on your car. That sort of thing.

In all our many visits, the only thing we've ever really had any minor issue with was the birds stealing food. If you are outdoors, don't leave any open food unattended - even for a moment.

We have stayed in mostly first floor rooms & have never had any critters in the room! I've seen quite a few wild things especially in FW. The birds are the worst, will take your food if unattended. One Dis'er posted pictures of a bobcat that was seen while riding one of the buses!

Heck I will stroll around Disney more freely than my own yard. I don't go out at night in my yard because of the wildlife, especially all the skunks!:scared1:

We are going to POP first week in August, we paid for a preferred pool view room and I'm tempted to request a first floor room because I think it'd be great to just walk out and be at the pool (noise is not an issue for us) but I am reading that sometimes snakes find their ways into those rooms :scared1::scared1: PLEASE tell me this is not common.

As you can see from the other responders, Disney takes great pains to make sure that critters don't get into the resorts. But please remember, this is Florida and we have one of the most diverse ecosystems in the country. I've seen everything from Turkeys to deer to fist-sized palmetto beetles on property. I live 5 minutes away and currently have an alligator in the pond in front of my neighborhood's clubhouse. Central Florida has dealt with everything from Black Bears to Pythons to Boars...But don't look at it with an "Eek!" factor, look at it as one of the pleasures of traveling to somewhere new, one of the many things that make coming to Florida an adventure. When I traveled to Texas and Mexico and encountered tarantulas, I was, well startled, but just thought of it as a great story. This is just one way of approaching it. Have fun!

Oh geez...

this comes up every now and then.

First - the anoles...those are the little lizards that scurry around everywhere. people call them "geckos" but they are in fact anoles. they are completely harmless but always present - its just a part of florida. occasionally you will see them on your balconies or windows...sometimes they'll get crushed here or there...nothing big

Snakes...well...i can tell you firsthand that they are - in fact - everywhere. but like the snakes in your backyard...they move away from people at the first hint of their presence and are out of your walk typically long before you could ever see them.
remember: WDW is a swamp and is largely untamed...so wildlife is a part of the equation (in fact...much of the property is a designated conservation area)...and you will see one on rare occasion. But those occasions are rare. Generally speaking - the best bets to encounter are those with heavy ground cover - at that is Caribbean (saw quite a few there myself), port orleans, coronado, typhoon...and most especially Blizzard beach - for some reason. the snakes are also harmless...we'll just assume that pest management gets the cottonmouths out as soon as they're found.

Aside from that - deer are present in large numbers...most especially in the service areas around magic kingdom and fort wilderness...bobcats (seen them darting across roads at fort wilderness)...raccoons...possums...bunnies
and of course...the gators. the alligators are small typically...usually found in waterways or on the golf courses...and relocated if they are not a safe distance from anyone.

The good news...is that WDW pest management is fantastic...not only with insect control - but also with finding and handling other potential issues well before they are seen by the public on most occasions.

sometimes...nature just shows up where you are...but considering that it is still very much a swamp...the place is amazing

sometimes...nature just shows up where you are...but considering that it is still very much a swamp...the place is amazing

Totally agree. And about 99.99999% of the time, the nature is a heck of a lot more frightened of humans.

And for the OP - I have yet to even see a snake at Disney World. In a room or outside and I've been there about 60 times. Stayed at just about every resort as well.

disnut8 said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wicket's Mom

One Dis'er posted pictures of a bobcat that was seen while riding one of the buses!

Where is that picture of a bobcat riding a Disney bus?

I think you are misunderstanding....
A guest 'saw' a bobcat while riding ON a Disney bus and apparently was able to take a photo. The bobcat wasn't on the bus.... ;)

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android

I think you are misunderstanding....
A guest 'saw' a bobcat while riding ON a Disney bus and apparently was able to take a photo. The bobcat wasn't on the bus.... ;)

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android

It's called sarcasm and the sentence structure. Stuff like that makes me laugh.

Have not seen a snake at Disney and really, really hope I never do. No snakes where I live (except those kept as pets) and for that reason I may never move.:lmao:

OMG!! I'm scared of lizards!! :scared1: :scared: Both of my stays at CBR, we had cockroach problems.. I moved to CSR.. very clean.. no bug problems in the room. :)

May I ask.. Did you ask to move or did they just get rid of them? I know they are everywhere.. but I think I would have just moved out of CBR all together! It's my thinking..

(My whole point is that we are happy that we moved to a different resort and that our stay was wonderful and our room was clean... Just in case someone want to turn this into a debate.. Lol.. and I don't want that.)

All the lizards we saw were outside (with the exception of the dead one inside). Not a whole lot you can do about that. There are a lot of bushes around the courtyard area and they were all over the bushes.

We've stayed at CBR 15 times and have never seen a roach. I live in N.O. so I'm accustomed to cockroaches - but I still hate them!

We've stayed at POP many times and have never seen anything more than bunnies, birds, bugs, & lizards.

We stayed at POFQ last year on first floor by water and had no critters in the room issues. I have never seen a snake at WDW either but did see a gator in the water approaching MK while we were riding on the monorail.

Our last visit at ASMovies (May 2011) we had a 1st floor room and came back from the parks on the 2nd day and found a black little lizard in the bathroom. We just went about our business - and called the front desk on our way out to the parks again. Upon our return, mousekeeping left a nice note that our little friend was gone with a cool towel animal. Never saw any other critters that trip, or any other trip........:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter