• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First Family Trip Planners Thread for WDW Newbies!

Believe me I thought about it!!! But our Halloween Home Haunt takes most of all October to set up so it would be too rushed. Maybe one year if I ever want to take a break from the display.

My dad's pretty good with the computer so I hope to send him photos and regular updates while we're there. We're not bringing a laptop though so I don't know if the Poly has a business centre or computer stations?

It's also good to show her some potentially scary rides like Tower of Terror or Expedition Everest so she can prepare herself or decide if she doesn't want to do them in advance.

Now that it's down to the wire we're all getting really excited!!!

Hmmm...I have not heard about business centers or computer stations at any of the resorts, but I could have missed something. You'd think it would be readily advertised though. I did hear they just installed wifi in all the resorts however and extended the cable tv lineup, to which I thought, who are these people who waste their time at Disney World watching tv??? LOL. I can get that at home! I

Yes, I do understand those scarey rides they are technically tall enough for but may not be ready for. My kids have not seen youtube videos of them, but Netflix has a Disney Parks video that was all about the major "thrill" rides, EE, ToT, Test Track, Space Mtn, etc. And it did show some footage of those. Helped my kids decide if they wanted to go on them or not.

DD8 is an adrenaline junkie. She is tiny & last year was the first year she was tall enough for almost all the roller coasters at Cedar Point. DS7 is almost as tall but missed it by a couple inches. He was not disappointed, but she did not want to hang at the "baby" rides with him and wanted to do real coasters over & over. Daddy is going to have to take her on Everest, Rock 'n' Roller, etc because I do NOT do coasters. DS doesn't mind the coasters but saw the Yeti on the video and is not sure he wants to experience that. We shall see when we get there what he decides at the last minute...:)

Hi!

My husband, my 6 year old twins, and I will be heading for our first visit from June 5-13, celebrating our first visit and their kindergarten graduation. We are staying at All-Star Movies and I requested a Toy Story room. We also got a pin code for free dining, which we upgraded! I am so excited! They have no clue, but we will probably tell them about a month ahead of time so they can help plan/get excited.

I have made all of our ADRs, unless I change my mind!
June 6- Breakfast at Crystal Palace
June 7- dinner at Teppan Edo
June 8- dinner at Hollywood & Vine for the Fantasmic package
June 9- breakfast at Tusker House
June 10- breakfast at Cinderella's Royal Table
June 11- breakfast at 1900 Park Faire
June 12- breakfast at Hollywood & vine

And just today I booked the boys at the Pirates League on our first day there- they are going to FLIP!!

What websites or other resources have you found helpful during your planning?

Let's share so we can all get more Disney fixes, er, I mean info. LOL.

For me, I liked www.**************.net though I haven't followed it religiously. It does have good info for first-timers.

I also like www.easywdw.com a lot. Guidetothemagic.com has a lot of info and pictures on all the attractions which is nice to look thru with the kiddos. Also, allears.net for menus. I checked out the Disney Food Blog somewhat and just ran across another food one on facebook today called disdining.com so I'm heading to check that out.

I also enjoyed Birnbaum's because of the color photos.

Hi!

My husband, my 6 year old twins, and I will be heading for our first visit from June 5-13, celebrating our first visit and their kindergarten graduation. We are staying at All-Star Movies and I requested a Toy Story room. We also got a pin code for free dining, which we upgraded! I am so excited! They have no clue, but we will probably tell them about a month ahead of time so they can help plan/get excited.

And just today I booked the boys at the Pirates League on our first day there- they are going to FLIP!!

Welcome jennifur!
Your boys are cuties. You will have to share some Toy Story room pics with us. I am very interested in the different themed rooms. How exciting about Pirates League! Looks like you've got some great fun planned for dining too.
Thanks for joining us!

Hi!

!

Hellooooo from the BHM! (IMP)

I had to click on this thread b/c it was so exciting planning my first family trip last year. I planned the heck out of that trip, for like 2 years. I ate, slept and breathed Disney for those 2 years, lol. I had gone so many times pre-kids and couldn't wait to bring them. My kids were 3.5 and 7.5 at the time. if anyone needs any advice/opinions from a former first-timer, feel free to ask. ;)

For me, I liked www.**************.net though I haven't followed it religiously. It does have good info for first-timers.

I also like www.easywdw.com a lot. Guidetothemagic.com has a lot of info and pictures on all the attractions which is nice to look thru with the kiddos. Also, allears.net for menus. I checked out the Disney Food Blog somewhat and just ran across another food one on facebook today called disdining.com so I'm heading to check that out.

I also enjoyed Birnbaum's because of the color photos.

Good idea. I also started off with **************.net and Tour Guide Mike which were great to get your feet wet. As I went along I realized that TGM hadn't been updated in quite a while but the forums were very helpful and I understand he's been working on the site and will be launching a new, updated version soon.

EasyWDW is a great site that I check almost every day. He did some guides recently to meeting the characters in each park based on popularity and line waits that was extremely helpful in figuring all that out.

Kenny the Pirate's site is also great for character info/schedules.

Stitch Kingdom has some good info on how the whole Photo Pass works.

Since we're staying at the Polynesian Resort I checked out Tikiman's pages regularily.

Of course the DIS and other forums were great sources of info. Especially the Trip Reports so you could get a good idea on what to expect.

The custom maps done by Robo (also on Stitch Kingdom) are invaluable! I printed out a whole set for the planning binder and will be taking them with me.

That's it for now. You can certainly overload on information!! :rolleyes1

First, thanks for the link! And religion is a good thing...

Second, the most common place (other than WDW official pages) people go to from my site is http://www.mousesavers.com/ so I'd add that to the list just based on popularity.

Another niche site helpful to military families is http://www.militarydisneytips.com/index.html

Hope this helps...Dave

EasyWDW is a great site that I check almost every day. He did some guides recently to meeting the characters in each park based on popularity and line waits that was extremely helpful in figuring all that out.

Stitch Kingdom has some good info on how the whole PhotoPass works.

I read those character guides on easywdw too which led me to want to catch some in the parks that we wouldn't get to see at our meals and aren't available at any meals nows such as White Rabbit, Fairy Godmother, Peter Pan, & Pinochio. Very handy info.

How could I forget Stitch Kingdom. I liked his Photopass info but even more the Definitive Guide to Kim Possible. My kids really want to do that and it explained it really well.

First, thanks for the link! And religion is a good thing...

Second, the most common place (other than WDW official pages) people go to from my site is http://www.mousesavers.com/ so I'd add that to the list just based on popularity.

Another niche site helpful to military families is http://www.militarydisneytips.com/index.html

Hope this helps...Dave

Yes, mousesavers is helpful. I subscribed to their email newsletter that comes out the 15th of every month and saved $ on our park tickets ordered through undercover tourist. They have a lot of other great info & deals too.

Didn't know you were from the Cleveland area! So am I. :) You have a very helpful site. I'm sure you put a ton of time into it. Thanks.

Didn't know you were from the Cleveland area! So am I. :) You have a very helpful site. I'm sure you put a ton of time into it. Thanks.

OK there's something karmic about us both being in NE Ohio and both focused in our own ways on first-timers.

You're not really Drew Carey or LeBron James writing under a pen name, are you?

I'm not...I'm just a dad in Rocky River! :)

Good luck with this thread and let me know if I can help with it...

Hellooooo from the BHM! (IMP)

I had to click on this thread b/c it was so exciting planning my first family trip last year. I planned the heck out of that trip, for like 2 years. I ate, slept and breathed Disney for those 2 years, lol. I had gone so many times pre-kids and couldn't wait to bring them. My kids were 3.5 and 7.5 at the time. if anyone needs any advice/opinions from a former first-timer, feel free to ask. ;)

Thanks so much for stopping in. You were 1 of us not long ago and remember all the excitement involved. I'm sure planning any Disney trip is very exciting but I have a feeling that even if we did go again, it would never be quite like this trip. I wouldn't long for it to be absolutely perfect like I do this one. I am not delusional. I know it won't be perfect. But in my planning & dreaming about it, it is. LOL...

That's what made me want to share the magic with others first time planners like myself. It is so exciting!!!

This will be my family's first trip to Disney World. It will be me, my dbf, ds7, my mom, my db, and his gf. :) Two rooms at CSR. We will be doing the theme parks and the water parks..yay! 7 nights and 8 days. We also have Pirate's League planned for ds7 on our first day there. We're reallly excited about Star Wars Weekend too! We are going to be driving down in a minivan and will actually arrive a night early and stay offsite before heading to Magic Kingdom the next morning. :D ADRs are made and trips just about paid off. We're going from 5/22-5/29.

Chef Mickey's dinner
Crystal Palace dinner
T-Rex dinner
Teppan Edo dinner
Tusker House lunch
Mama Melrose Fantasmic! Lunch
Akershus breakfast
We're trying to get 'Ohana and if we do we will drop Tusker House.

We are soooo excited. We've made a countdown chain and each day we take a link off. We're at 53 days. :D Any tips or suggestions are welcome.

OK there's something karmic about us both being in NE Ohio and both focused in our own ways on first-timers.

You're not really Drew Carey or LeBron James writing under a pen name, are you?

I'm not...I'm just a dad in Rocky River! :)

Good luck with this thread and let me know if I can help with it...

Lebron...how dare you insult me like that? The traitor! Spoken like a true Clevelander, eh?

I'm out in Rocky River once in a while...we may have rubbed elbows. Who knows? How funny!

What I'm curious to know is this...from both first time planners and veterans....so I have decided the where the when...the places we want to eat...how long we will stay...all the basics.....so NOW....how much planning does everyone do? I mean...down to the minute or much more casual than that?
We prefer to really have a nice relaxing fun vacation. We don't care to go 90 miles per hour.
We know we cannot see it ALL in 8 days...and that's ok.....but how much should we plan???
Once you have the basics done....how much more do you really plan???

I'm going through the attractions in each park and striking off the ones that my son will be too small to ride. I'm not planning down to the minute or anything, but I am looking to see what will be the easiest path to take to put us near our ADRs and parades when we need to be there.

Hello back at ya! :)

I'm so glad you ended up being able to do your impromptu trip! I can't wait to hear about it!

What I'm curious to know is this...from both first time planners and veterans....so I have decided the where the when...the places we want to eat...how long we will stay...all the basics.....so NOW....how much planning does everyone do? I mean...down to the minute or much more casual than that?
We prefer to really have a nice relaxing fun vacation. We don't care to go 90 miles per hour.
We know we cannot see it ALL in 8 days...and that's ok.....but how much should we plan???

I love the Touring Plans subscription b/c it tells you which attractions get the busiest the quickest, so if you do those first, you lessen the amount of time you have to stand in line. So I printed those for each park and loosely followed them. I didn't have to do the rides in the EXACT order, but at least I knew which general area to head to. We hardly waited in ANY lines our entire trip and it helped make sure we didn't miss anything.

I'm afraid even thinking through this answer it got lengthy so apologize in advance if this is lengthy. My response is basically what lamb616 said with some expansion.
Personally, I am spending tons on this vaca and we will probably never go back (though my secret hope/goal is for my kids to sort of beg my DH and then plan a Christmas trip, teehee). I am planning with the idea that we won't go back in mind. I am also planning with the mentality that we can't do it all, but I want to do everything we can.

With that in mind, I want to DO as much as possible and not WAIT as much as possible. If you visit touring planning sites, you will learn there are generally 3 sets of people. There are those who planned and go to the rides that develop long lines first and therefore don't wait too long to go on the ride, getting those attractions out of the way early, not waiting 50+ minutes later for a 5-10 minute ride. Those rides are not necessarily the popular ones but could be slow loaded, low threshold rides.
Then there are those who just show up and go from 1 ride to the next in order or look at the map and say "what do you want to do next?" and when you get to that ride there's a long wait. So you either wait or wander to another ride that hopefully doesn't have a long wait.
I realize it's WDW and I may have to wait for SOME things, but if I can plan a little beforehand AND be flexible once I'm there, I believe I can see more with less waiting, which I know will keep my entire family happy. Then we will have more time to relax and will have definitely gotten more for our money.
I guess it's the difference between waiting 30+ minutes and doing 6 rides or 15 minutes each and doing 12 is the way I look at it. Which 1 would your family be happier with during the day?
I was told at easywdw that once you have planned like this you start to learn the rides, which 1s you need to do early, so you can adjust your plan accordingly "on the fly" so to speak, in the park should something go wrong, ride shut down, etc. You don't have to be running from place to place or crisscrossing. You can make a plan that accounts for not wanting to do that. It's all up to what's best for your family because it's your plan.
One last thing I forgot to mention learning the best way to incorporate FastPass into your plan.
Sorry for my longwinded and opinionated response. I've been accused of being opinionated in the past! :) I just think as much $ as we're all spending we should get the most out of it and allow for the most leisure time as possible to recoup for the next day. It's amazing how much you can enjoy and then have pool time too.
PS.If you're interested in seeing my plans, could post them for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter