• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First ever Deluxe Resort solo trip. AKL 6-17 to 6-25-15

Coogz

"It all started with a mouse"
So I took the dive and went for it!

I have been to WDW a total of I think 5 times now, and have stayed at POP, All-Star Sports, and CSR, but until now I have never been able to try a deluxe resort.

My dream resort is still to stay at either the CR or Poly, but I have decided to start it off with AKL.

I could not justify the difference in price between a standard room and a savannah view room, so I went with the standard view room. If I can scrounge up some additional funds between now and June, maybe I can try and upgrade.

This will be my third solo trip to WDW, and although solo trips can have their positives and negatives, for me the positives far outweigh the negatives, in that I am in charge of everything that I do, and no answering to anyone but me!

So being brand new to AKL (I have never even stepped foot inside it), what are some things that you all would recommend that I try out? I will be doing the quick service dining plan, just because I am still a bit weirded out by dining alone in a sit down location, I know I shouldn't be, but I am.

Also for a solo traveler, I have always just rented a car, and found that to be very efficient for me to get around property, but I am wondering if using DME solo has any benefits or if any other solo travelers have any opinions on that, given I will be at AKL and that is pretty out there, as far as location.

Any tips or tricks, or information to pass along to the AKL newbie? Thanks ahead of time guys/gals!

Congrats! I am in the same exact boat as you! Decided to finally book my first solo trip for November. Always wanted to go solo and I am finally doing it. I always stay at POR/POFQ, and always dreamed of staying at a deluxe resort. I am booked at Wilderness Lodge, courtyard view for 10 days! This will be my longest trip to date. Knowing. I am free to do whatever I want, whenever I want is just so great. Not having any conflicts with anyone or getting tired of anyone and worry about what others want to do, just sounds so freeing. I am looking forward to spending more time at the resort than I usually do. I want to be more relaxed. I am doing the QSDP but will book two early breakfasts at Kona and Grand Floridian Cafe. I am so excited!!! This forum has been really helpful... reading others solo trip reports and experiences.

I have never stayed at AKL but i do know that it is a favorite of many and it is just beautiful! Happy solo planning!!

Congrats on your trip as well!

Every time I go, I say to myself I want to go to breakfast at Kona and try the Tonga Toast, and I never get around to doing it. You just inspired me again to do it!

The dinner buffet at Boma is absolutely delicious. It helps to be a little adventurous and try the interesting African-inspired dishes, but there's something for everyone. The soups in particular and interesting and mouthwatering. The ribs are so tender and the spices on the chicken and beef are insanely delicious. Then there are the unique salads, and finally zebra domes for dessert. I know there are a lot of great meals to try at WDW, but next time I go, I'm going out of my way to enjoy Boma again.

Congrats on your trip as well!

Every time I go, I say to myself I want to go to breakfast at Kona and try the Tonga Toast, and I never get around to doing it. You just inspired me again to do it!
Kona is awesome and so is the tonga toast! If it weren't so big, I would get it every time, but they also have another favorite of mine- the macadamia nut pancakes! It is an awesome start to the day... hop on the monorail after and head to MK.

Congrats on your upcoming trip. I have stayed at AKV (I'm DVC) many times and it's one of my favorite resorts and I am sure you are going to enjoy your visit. Standard view room is fine unless you really want to view the animals from your balcony (sometimes they can be a bit noisy).

Inside the resort I would definitely recommend dining at Boma's which is one of my favorite restaurants and IMHO has the best dinner buffet and I'm not much of a buffet person. I would also recommend checking out some of the free presentations offered where CM from Africa will talk about their country (educational and fun). I would also suggest the Night Safari Tour which is exclusive to guest at the resort (this is a paid tour). Finally sunsets from the resort are also something I would recommend and oh yeah don't forget to check out the animals around the property.

Yes, AKL is out there but in my 10+ trips to WDW I have never rented a car and found that getting around the property was very easy using WDW transportation (maybe you can use the money you save from a rental car for the savannah view room or towards the Night Safari Tour?).

Have a great trip.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your trip! I'm going to be there solo in just under a week! This will be my first deluxe stay/solo Disney trip as well. I knew I had to do it at least once and since the trip is to celebrate my 30th birthday I had a great excuse to splurge.

I can't tell you about my experience yet but here are some of my plans: breakfast reservations at Boma and dinner reservations at Jiko, and I'm also going to try for a late dinner at Boma one night after the parks. I also plan to take in a drink and a snack every night at one of the bars/lounges (Cape Town and Victoria Falls, I believe). I'll have my phone with books to read and websites to update to keep myself occupied, which is what I always do when dining alone, so I recommend you go with the same. But from all I've read the CMs are mostly really great at engaging solo diners and making them feel welcome.

I do have a savannah room so I'm going to start each morning with coffee on the balcony to view the animals. I bet you could easily do the same from one of the observation areas.

Doing my third solo trip in May with a split stay of 2 nights at AKL and 3 nights at BWV. I've visited AKL before while resort hopping but never stayed there so I'm excited/nervous. The solo part is a piece of cake, I love going solo and I've done split stays on my other two solo trips so that's no big deal. I'm not used to staying as far away from everything as AKL is and for the first time am considering driving to the MK instead of taking the bus. I drive down but have never used my car except to go to my new resort for the split stays. I've researched and can't find where the parking is located at AKL so that might be the deciding factor. I've got a standard view room as well, figured there are plenty of viewing places so not worth spending for a view but I might regret that since I love to get up in the morning and sit on the balcony while drinking my coffee. I have my kindle on my phone and just read that while I'm eating so I'm looking forward to trying the restaurants and I read there was a wine tasting you can go to so I might do that as well.

So as time is passing, I am wondering if I should upgrade my dining plan from quick service to the regular dining plan. I've also been getting some valid arguments for and against me upgrading to a savannah view room. Still thinking....

I have been to WDW a total of I think 5 times now, and have stayed at POP, All-Star Sports, and CSR, but until now I have never been able to try a deluxe resort.

My dream resort is still to stay at either the CR or Poly, but I have decided to start it off with AKL.

I could not justify the difference in price between a standard room and a savannah view room, so I went with the standard view room. If I can scrounge up some additional funds between now and June, maybe I can try and upgrade.

This will be my third solo trip to WDW, and although solo trips can have their positives and negatives, for me the positives far outweigh the negatives, in that I am in charge of everything that I do, and no answering to anyone but me!

So being brand new to AKL (I have never even stepped foot inside it), what are some things that you all would recommend that I try out? I will be doing the quick service dining plan, just because I am still a bit weirded out by dining alone in a sit down location, I know I shouldn't be, but I am.

Also for a solo traveler, I have always just rented a car, and found that to be very efficient for me to get around property, but I am wondering if using DME solo has any benefits or if any other solo travelers have any opinions on that, given I will be at AKL and that is pretty out there, as far as location.

Any tips or tricks, or information to pass along to the AKL newbie? Thanks ahead of time guys/gals!

I am an owner and my home resort is AKV-K. Unless you plan to spend a lot of time on your balcony, it is not really worth the extra money for a Savannah View. The resort is lovely and there are a lot of viewing spots on property to see the animals. You get a better view of them in the viewing areas since they typically do not stay close to the area where the rooms are.

Here are some videos I shot there while standing outside. I never got any footage this good from my room.

I, too, am struggling with the dining alone thing. It will be a first for me when I go in December on my solo trip. The more I read on these boards, the more I believe people wont even notice. Boma is a good breakfast buffet and one I could totally do by myself. I do not like "African foods" and therefore have not tried the other table restaurants there.

I always use DME and will do it for my solo trip as well. For me personally, I would rather spend that money on something else....like ornaments, pins, food, etc. AKL is the last drop off for ME, but I enjoy stopping at the other resorts and getting a peek at them. For me, the excitement builds for my resort arrival. :)

Be sure to check out both sides of the resort. Also, go up to the top floor and go outside. The views are quite nice.

Thanks so much for the videos. I am starting to think that I should save my money, and use it towards a couple tours I want to do while I am there instead.

I am really thinking about doing the night-time safari thats exclusive to guests of the resort, have you ever done that?

I am really thinking about doing the night-time safari thats exclusive to guests of the resort, have you ever done that?

I have not done it, but I am considering it for my solo in December. I see people do it all the time and always think to myself "I wish I was on that safari bus". :)

won't upgrade either - you might get an upgrade at AKL for free when you check in.

love Boma's - one of my favorites.

Will be there solo for two nights and have reservations for the tour that is exclusive to guests that does the Savannah and then dinner. I'm thinking that will knock out a number of birds, won't have to do the safari when I go to AK if I don't feel like it, won't have to worry about dining alone in a restaurant since will be with a group, I wanted to do one of their wine tastings since I'm interested in African wines but have dinner plans for the only day they have it and they include some wines with the dinner.

Thanks everyone! Any little gems about AKL that anyone can share? Cool little things I should try? Any of the lounges or bars better than others? Tips?

AK is our home resort but have only stayed like 3 times. I agree the sav

Hello AK is my home resort but have only stayed there like 3 times. I agree the Savannah view isn't really with the points. You can go down stairs and sit inside or outside and see the same view. The food is really good there but it's all on the Jamba side which is where the bigger pool is too.

The wife and I are going down 6/18-6-22 staying at BCV for the 1st time. Looking at doing some golf, pool time, and some drinking around the world.

AKL is my favorite resort at Disney! Not only is it gorgeous, but very unique as well, and the CMs there are superb. Definitely plan on a meal at Boma, and if you feel like treating yourself, Jiko. Do take the time to chat with the wildlife staff who are scattered around the different viewing areas, they're very knowledgeable!

As for dining alone, I've actually found that eating QS was infinitely more awkward than my TS meals! Trying to juggle your stuff, your tray, AND find an empty table (which is hard enough sometimes) was horrible. Then when I was lucky enough to find a table, every time, some family would ask to share my table, then proceed to ignore me and make me feel like the usurper. Not fun :x

Needless to say, I now make ADRs for the vast majority of my meals! I promise it's not as scary as it sounds ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter