• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First Event!

fisherjenn

Caught the running bug
Hey everyone! So I have my first race coming up! It's the Turkey Trot 5-mile race on Thanksgiving day in Miamisburg, OH. I'm really nervous about going too slow or being the last one across the finish line. I have three months of training ahead of me and at the rate I've been going, I know I'll be in great shape by then.

How do you handle those pre-race jitters?

How exciting for you! I ran my first 5k last weekend and it was awesome! I was jittery and nervous until I actually arrived at the event. Everyone was so nice and supportive to each other. There were people of all shapes and sizes...I felt very comfortable. When we lined up at the start, I positioned myself toward the back of the pack (there were 600+ participants). When we got going I concentrated on running my own race at my own pace! I ran most of the way, but did brisk walk during a section if the course that was loose gravel. I finished strong and felt great! I was 494/636 participants! I completed C25k in August, never having run before. I continue running 5k three times a week in preparation for my next event. I would never have thought I had it in me to accomplish what I have! Keep up your training and you'll achieve your goal! I know that your Turkey Trot will be great! Have fun!

Congrats and good luck!

The best thing you can do is be well-trained for the event, and it sounds like you're well on your way to doing that. I'd also suggest picking up your race packet/bib ahead of time is that is an option. It's must easier to do that ahead of time rather than the morning of the race.

My biggest piece of advice is to get to the race EARLY! The morning is a lot less hectic when you have time to find a decent parking spot, use the bathroom, etc.

Definitely agree with the advice to just run your own race. It's going to be super tempting to take off quickly at the start. Just focus on finishing happy and healthy - it's your first race and finishing it will really be something you can be proud of. :)

Wear your number on your front!

Now other than that, no one there will know that this is your first event. Head out and have fun. As mentioned, arrive early. Bring a drink to sip on while waiting. Locat ethe porta potties and plan on using if needed about 20-30 minutes prerace.

If you have a question, ask. We all remember our first races and most runners want to see the sport continue to grow and expand. Pay attention to announcements and any signs concerning pace. Line up according to your pace.

Again as mentioned, run your race. only a few runners will actually run against competition, the rest of us are trying to run our best for the day we have.

Finally, know that all runners have some form of jitters during the pre-race. For the experienced folks, it is more hidden and more than likely not apparent to many folks. It can be something as simple as can I run xxx pace and who is here that I need to be concerned with. For a newly, well I sense you are feeling it now. In real simple terms, lay out a training schedule, train to the schedule, don't beat yourself up for a missed run and then forget about it. From there is it just one foot in front of the other.

Wear your number on your front!

Now other than that, no one there will know that this is your first event. Head out and have fun. As mentioned, arrive early. Bring a drink to sip on while waiting. Locat ethe porta potties and plan on using if needed about 20-30 minutes prerace.

If you have a question, ask. We all remember our first races and most runners want to see the sport continue to grow and expand. Pay attention to announcements and any signs concerning pace. Line up according to your pace.

Again as mentioned, run your race. only a few runners will actually run against competition, the rest of us are trying to run our best for the day we have.

Finally, know that all runners have some form of jitters during the pre-race. For the experienced folks, it is more hidden and more than likely not apparent to many folks. It can be something as simple as can I run xxx pace and who is here that I need to be concerned with. For a newly, well I sense you are feeling it now. In real simple terms, lay out a training schedule, train to the schedule, don't beat yourself up for a missed run and then forget about it. From there is it just one foot in front of the other.

*For sure, I'll wear my number on the front!

*I'm going to be bringing some essentials with me and hopefully I'll have someone there to hold my stuff haha.

*I have my C25k running app and I'm doing pretty well so far I've had off days and at the moment they affected my attitude, but I understand I'll have them.

Don't tear off the little perforated section(if your bib has one) like I did. They need it at the end of the race!

I just did my first 5K last weekend. I'm 62 and had good reason to worry about being last--I'm really slow! But 3 people finished after me, and I ran a 15:36 average mile. I just started running in May.

Being nervous is normal-- best advice, which someone gave me -- don't start out too fast! It's VERY easy to get caught up in the rush at the start. I tired myself out and had a hard time getting my pace back.

I've only ben running 5ks since May, and am always concerned that I'll be the last person to cross the finish line. I'm a bigger gal, but am slow and steady. I just prticipate din a local 5k last month

I just began running 5ks in May and am always concerned that I will be the last person to cross the finish line. I'm bigger gal, but run slow and steady. I'm usually self conscious that I'll be the biggest person running. But so what if I am. I pass up skinnier people while I run and it feels good :)

My advice, relax and have fun. Take pride in the fact that this is your first race (of many). Locate and use the portopotty before the race, and place yourself where you feel comfortable. Don't worry about people passing you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter