First disney family trip as parents - what wouldn't we think of?

bradykp

Earning My Ears
So my kids will be 5, almost 4, and 2.5. Wife and I have been a bunch of times as kids and adults. We're thinking of taking all 3 kids, or leaving the 2.5 year old home. But either way, what key things do we need to think of? What do we need to bring? I'm thinking the lightest weight backpack I can find to carry snacks, water, and maybe a spray bottle, and sunscreen. the youngest may or may not still be in diapers at the time we go (june).

also, what key things have changed in the past 6-7 years? I've never planned this trip for a kid-friendly trip. either went as a kid, or planned for my wife and i.

also - i'm told by some to avoid parks on days of extra magic hours. thoughts?

if your kids are up early kids, do morning EMH and then hop to a different park when it gets crowded. If you don't have park hopper tickets, then avoid EMH.

I would recommend packing lunch and snacks. Our kids did not do well waiting on "quick service" lunches. Spray bottle fans were great distractions. Take a pool and rest break in early to mid afternoon.

Don't leave the youngest at home! Someday he'll be saying "Hey Mom and Dad remember that time you went to Disney and left me at home?" We took our kids for their 1st trip when they were 4 & 2. The 2 yr old was still in diapers Other than packing the normal diaper bag stuff it was just like an extended day outing.
Our lifesavers for our 1st trip:
Bring a stroller. It's a lot of walking for kids. They will enjoy having a place to sit, rehydrate and snack.
Bring your own healthy snacks. Eat foods like they would at home so no sore tummies later in the day.
Plan for rest breaks, Nap breaks, and early bedtimes if necessary.
Make a touring plan AND be prepared to change plans at a moment notice. Life with kids! :)
Sunscreen, hats, sunglasses, sprayfan are a must in FL.
Alternate standing, sitting and outdoor and air-conditioned attractions to recharge you and the kids.

Extra Magic Hours? If staying onsite, why not use them and benefit from lower crowds? Definitely a nice perk. If offsite, try to avoid EMH as the crowds are usually heavier at park offering them.

Have fun planning, stick around these boards and you'll learn a ton!

Since going with kids, I never park hop. I just plan a park per day... It's too much of hassle. the biggest changes though since having kids is more downtime, more character M&Gs, and more parades. Don't miss the festival of fantasy parade at MK - it is great.

Learn about Fast Pass + and use it to your advantage. Also don't plan to spend all day in the parks. With those ages I would choose either morning or afternoon, but not both. Remember you are only as happy as your unhappiest family member, so take breaks at the hotel, nap and swim. Go into the vacation knowing you will not see and do everything. This will allow you to enjoy what you do see more.

Don't be disappointed when two hours into your day your little ones start to beg to go swimming. It's going to happen. Plan for it ahead of time.

We definitely plan on naps and pool breaks. the resort pools are one of my favorite things!

All good tips above! We DO use PHs and EMH - go early, leave by noon or whenever it starts to get hot/crowded. Go back to hotel for pool and/or nap, and then hit another park in the late afternoon and evening. Definitely use a stroller for the youngest kid and even for the 4 year old. Also the buffets and character meals were a great way to do a lot of meet and greets without having to stand in line.

Character meals are a must for us, because we get to see all the characters we want without having to wait in line and we can use that time for riding rides. Disney before kids, we never did character meals, but we were also not interested in meeting the charaters either.

We found this backpack (on sale at the time) that is super lightweight and folds into a little pouch if needed. It held all of our stuff and the side pockets and little plastic loops on the front were invaluable for holding extra stuff (bring some carabiners and/or baby buddies).

Most helpful to us was figuring out where our kid could run around and burn off energy. Our favorite play spots were:
  • Casey Jr. Splash Station (bring extra clothes if the weather is warm, the kids will get wet!)
  • The regular queue (not FP+) at Dumbo has a great play area while you're waiting
  • The FP+ Wishes viewing areas in front of the Castle are fenced in and great for letting kiddos run around a bit! Especially when the street party comes up into the Hub.
  • Winnie the Pooh queue
  • Imagination pavilion at Epcot
  • Bruce's Sub House play area at The Seas pavilion
  • Space Base play area at the Mission:Space exit
  • The area by the water in front of the Italy pavilion
  • The garden area in the back of the UK pavilion

First, it's a family vacation. 'Ohana means family, and family means nobody gets left behind. :angel:

There is no way I would leave my 2.5 year old behind. Heck, our 1 year old is going on his 3rd trip in April. Just because he's a baby doesn't mean he can't go with us on vacations. That idea makes me sad.

That being said. If your kids are into characters, I would definitely do some character meals, and that way you can see a bunch of them and the characters come to you versus having to chase them down.

I would definitely use a stroller for the 2.5 year old. I suggest a City Mini, which is great for the parks.

We personally don't avoid EMH. We love the nighttime ones, in fact.

With kids, we have found that it is best to have morning time at the park, then lunch and return to the resort during the day for nap/pool time. We usually head back out to the parks around 5 for the evening activities. :goodvibes

Most helpful to us was figuring out where our kid could run around and burn off energy. Our favorite play spots were:
  • Casey Jr. Splash Station (bring extra clothes if the weather is warm, the kids will get wet!)
  • The regular queue (not FP+) at Dumbo has a great play area while you're waiting
  • The FP+ Wishes viewing areas in front of the Castle are fenced in and great for letting kiddos run around a bit! Especially when the street party comes up into the Hub.
  • Winnie the Pooh queue
  • Imagination pavilion at Epcot
  • Bruce's Sub House play area at The Seas pavilion
  • Space Base play area at the Mission:Space exit
  • The area by the water in front of the Italy pavilion
  • The garden area in the back of the UK pavilion
This is a great list!

I would not leave the 2.5 yr old at home. Our happiest moments were when our kids were that age. Plus they are free!
Character meals vs waiting in line
Use baby stations for little one
Plan a/c shows and attractions
Have autograph books purchased the moment you get to hotel (go to gift shop)
Hand (pump) Soap for room
Pop up hamper and detergent for room (you never know)
Lots of water!!!!

Number 1, please bring your 2.5yr old. We took our twins at that age and although they don't remember much, the wonderment on their faces was priceless.
Number 2 I would suggest giving your 5 and 4 yr old a mini backpack for their own water and snack and hat and sunglasses. Your own can carry your items and the items for the 2.5 year old.
Number 3 We followed easywdw.com for planning what parks what day. Also a good site for getting up to date on rides and restaurants
Number 4 Research the new FP+ system and reservation system, a lot has changed and you'll want to do things at the right time.
Number 5 If going during a hot month, plan a midday break.

My advice with kids is to plan, and then take about half the stuff off the plan. I'm sure you know lots of things just take longer with kids, so just be aware that there are things you probably won't get to.

Next, (this is a personal thing of mine) we would go to a ride, and if our child wanted to go again (and it was possible) we would do it. Sure, we had other stuff we wanted to do, but the awesome happy kid smiles are just amazing. I mean, the castle is real and Cinderella lives there! Winnie the Pooh gave us hugs!! Basically stop and smell the roses! I tried to say yes more than no.

I also agree getting up and to the park at open is the best. Then a rest/get out of the heat around lunch for us, then back to a park for dinner and some more rides.

Never underestimate the fun of transportation either. Riding the train around MK is totally fun, taking the ferry can be great. I'm pretty sure at 2.5 my daughter thought the bus was just awesome.

Oh, and bring all the kids!!! Your 2.5 year old is free for park entry, free at the buffet, and should most likely see the magic everywhere!

On the time zone changes - how long will you be there? One option would be to let the kids stay on Pacific time, and have more evening time - which would be cooler, and more relaxed, and allow you to enjoy the evening parades and fireworks. But then you'll miss rope drop. Alternatively, especially if you're there more than a few days, get them onto Eastern time by shifting an hour a day, and even consider starting before you leave (if you have an early AM flight it can help).

Agree with all above.....bring your 2.5 yr old! Our boys were 4.5 & just turned 2 for our first family trip. Even though the youngest might not remember being there - you will! What great memories! (and in case it hasn't been said enough- free, free, free!!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter