First day impressions...umm...well...

Upgrading certain types of tickets seem more difficult than others. We had that problem at WDW (but thanks to an amazing IPO CM, who told us who to go to to get it done properly) it didn't take us days. If there's a problem, Guest Services can usually help, but even then sometimes there are only a few CMs there that really know what to do. (And we weren't doing anything "wrong" or "impossible" just complicated).

I understand the frustration about taking precious vacation time to settle these things.

I hope that you enjoy the rest of your vacation at Disneyland. :goodvibes

I have been going to Disneyland in California since I was 2 and I have also been to and worked at Walt Disney World in Florida. I felt how you do about the magic, except vice versa: I was scared Disney World wouldn't be as magical as Disneyland. I think you will definitely feel a difference, but keep in mind, Disneyland is the only park Walt Disney himself walked through and lived in. I think that will add a little extra magic to your trip :)

I personally have found the DL CMs to be more "magical" than those at WDW, so it can go either way. (and I have been to WDW dozens of times, DL 5-6 times in the last few years).

It can be a little confusing, because the parks have different admission and pass policies, but once you get the hang of it, you will be good. Relax and enjoy the magic of DL. Note how the characters are able to interact with the guests, without handlers to line everyone up! I loved that. :wizard:

We had a similar issue with the cast members in Dec. There was apparently a problem with our tickets even though we got them booking a package with Disney and with staying on site at the DLH. We were treated very rudely and I just thought it was not on.

Each day it seemed a chore to even get into the park as something always held the line up and the CMs were in a fuddle. I thought the CMs at the time just seemed grumpy and unhappy with their lot.

Overall we left with a sour taste regarding Disneyland and felt it lacked the magic WDW had (we flew direct from visiting WDW).

I think Disneyland needs to get their entry procedure sorted rather quickly as its a bit of a joke at the moment. I think it would also be great if customer service was improved. It doesn't have to be as polite as WDW but something similar would have been wonderful.

I have to agree with this.. They are undergoing some rather annoying ticketing issues and communication issues with guests about who can get in what park early and which one. We were there in Nov staying at the Grand so we could get in a park early everyday..sometimes DCA and sometimes DL..the Magic Morning people didn't understand that DCA was only for hotel guests..this was also during the short time when if you had more than a 3 day PH you had a special line..and seeing the sign for the special line was hidden by confused crowds not knowing what park they could get into. Even though this was a slow time, the lines stetched acrosss the Esplanade and people were confused if they were in DCA or DL line. Every day our early entry was shorted by half trying to sort through the mess. Entering from GC didn't help much either, especially since one day Saving Mr Banks filming ran late and the Esplnade entrance was closed with hordes trapped behind security so everyone hustled to the GC entrance..holy cow..what a mess. Now I hear they are taking pictures of folks? Another confusing slow down mess. Plus adding the AP only EE in Carsland? I'm sure that is causing issues as folks see a line and get in it then discover it isn't for them. I'm seeing Disney doing a lot of short sighted spur of the moment un thought out things lately across all divisions and hope they fix this soon.

nunzia said:
I have to agree with this.. They are undergoing some rather annoying ticketing issues and communication issues with guests about who can get in what park early and which one. We were there in Nov staying at the Grand so we could get in a park early everyday..sometimes DCA and sometimes DL..the Magic Morning people didn't understand that DCA was only for hotel guests..this was also during the short time when if you had more than a 3 day PH you had a special line..and seeing the sign for the special line was hidden by confused crowds not knowing what park they could get into. Even though this was a slow time, the lines stetched acrosss the Esplanade and people were confused if they were in DCA or DL line. Every day our early entry was shorted by half trying to sort through the mess. Entering from GC didn't help much either, especially since one day Saving Mr Banks filming ran late and the Esplnade entrance was closed with hordes trapped behind security so everyone hustled to the GC entrance..holy cow..what a mess. Now I hear they are taking pictures of folks? Another confusing slow down mess. Plus adding the AP only EE in Carsland? I'm sure that is causing issues as folks see a line and get in it then discover it isn't for them. I'm seeing Disney doing a lot of short sighted spur of the moment un thought out things lately across all divisions and hope they fix this soon.

We are staying at the Grand in April...does the Grand get in a park early every day??? We also have Premier Passports and Disney Visa...just wondering if there any any perks for EMH...

Also, are there any evening EMH for the parks???

Sunday was much better, aside from having to have our picture taken for the fourth time! There has got to be a better way!

We spent the afternoon over at knott's and saw more pin trading ready workers there than at both DL and DCA combined, what the heck is uo with that? I knew from reading the forum that it's not quite the big deal as it is a wdw, but not even on par with Knott's??

Don't get me wrong, we are enjoying ourselves, but it's funny what you notice when you are used to someyhing else.

We are staying at the Grand in April...does the Grand get in a park early every day??? We also have Premier Passports and Disney Visa...just wondering if there any any perks for EMH...

Also, are there any evening EMH for the parks???
Staying onsite will get you EMH each day it is available.
For AP's you can get into APEE on Saturday and Sundays up until April 14th (not sure your dates). No reports of any late hours for AP's only for April (that is only available for Thursdays in February at this time).
Disney Visa's do not provide any EMH perks.

Back in our room now waiting to watch WOC. Rest of the day went off without a hitch. We were finally able to add a day to our tickets. Of course we had to run around as by the time we got to guest relations it was functioning as lost and found and we were directed to the ticket booths. We got to take our picture for the third time!

It's funny that just a little communication/knowledge of policies would have made a huge difference in how our first day went, but it's now behind us.

We've got three more days to go and hopefully today was the only glitch in our trip!

At DLR you should always upgrade at the ticket booths, it's just faster and they know how to do it so there isn't ever a question. :) I'm curious what you meant by you used the wrong ink to write your names on your tickets? What ink are you supposed to use?

At DLR you should always upgrade at the ticket booths, it's just faster and they know how to do it so there isn't ever a question. :) I'm curious what you meant by you used the wrong ink to write your names on your tickets? What ink are you supposed to use?

I agree with the statement and the question. And I would like to know who was going back and forth on if the OP could upgrade and how much it would be, etc. Where were they doing the upgrade? Was it one person waffling? More than one person? I'd just like more info, rather than ending up as confused as the OP was. :)

Yeah, that sounds like a total PIA and not a good first day experience!

My biggest frustration is when RSR doesn't operate at park opening, this happens a lot and way too often. Wasted half an EE on that alone.

I'm sure by the end of the trip it will be old news :)

Apparently, you need to use a fine tip sharpie, for which there is no specific instruction on the ticket. When we added a day to our tickets our names were printed on them that time.

The whole picture thing really needs to be streamlined somehow. Every time we enter a park one person checks your tickets to compare your pics, then they get scanned again to gain entry.

Problem comes into play when you are in line behind people who have not had their pics taken. Depending on the cast member, could take seconds, could take minutes. They could, at the least, have signs up.

Oh well, still having a blast. Managed to make it onto the second car if the morning for RSR!

Apparently, you need to use a fine tip sharpie, for which there is no specific instruction on the ticket. When we added a day to our tickets our names were printed on them that time.

The whole picture thing really needs to be streamlined somehow. Every time we enter a park one person checks your tickets to compare your pics, then they get scanned again to gain entry.

Problem comes into play when you are in line behind people who have not had their pics taken. Depending on the cast member, could take seconds, could take minutes. They could, at the least, have signs up.

Oh well, still having a blast. Managed to make it onto the second car if the morning for RSR!

Do they still take pictures? My son does not have any picture ID aside from his passport and I will not carry that around all day. Will it be required?

Also do we sign our tickets before getting to the park?

:confused3

First time at DL and first time off Disney property, very confusing

How much extra is it to upgrade tickets? Does it equal out to the same amount as if you'd have already purchased that number of days or is it more? I ask because we are planning on going 4 days, but if we can get everything done in 3 I'd hate to spend a lot more to get 4 day tickets, and we can use that last day somewhere else. But if we for some reason need the 4th day we could upgrade. I just don't want to pay more to upgrade than if I'd have purchased the 4 day pass in the first place.

Gah that's confusing lol

Do they still take pictures? My son does not have any picture ID aside from his passport and I will not carry that around all day. Will it be required?

You won't need a picture ID. A cm will take a picture of each person in your party that requires a ticket and tie that pic to your ticket (and this only applies for multi-day tickets). I'm not sure what the best thing to do about signing the tickets.

How much extra is it to upgrade tickets? Does it equal out to the same amount as if you'd have already purchased that number of days or is it more? I ask because we are planning on going 4 days, but if we can get everything done in 3 I'd hate to spend a lot more to get 4 day tickets, and we can use that last day somewhere else. But if we for some reason need the 4th day we could upgrade. I just don't want to pay more to upgrade than if I'd have purchased the 4 day pass in the first place.

Gah that's confusing lol

Our uograde cost equaled the difference between tickets. We had a 3 day hopper for which we paid $220. The 4 day hopper price was $245. We paid the $25 difference. The reason we had trouble with uograding was that our tickets were purchased through southwest airlines and did not have the price printed on them (that's what the hotel frint desk told us at least).

Blanche_Neige said:

We didn't have to show ID yesterday they did take our pics at the the turnstile , but it was our first day so don t know what today will bring

We are WDW AP holders and our first trip to DLR will be this October for our Honeymoon. We are upgradeing our APs to Premiers and staying at the DLH. I'm really lookinf forward to it. But I will admit to being a little nervous about the trip and hope we don't have any problems, but I expect a great magical time.

hmm interesting. When we went in August they were putting names on tickets, DBF, DD13 and SIL, BIL and their 3 kids had their names printed on the tickets by the computer. We purchased them in the Toy Story lot. DBF's Mom & Dad bought their tickets elsewhere (not sure where, probably online) and had to manually write their names on the tickets, they just used regular ball point pens and were never questioned. I wonder if Disney realized that regular ink can be removed somehow so they changed to Sharpie.
I'm glad you're having fun :)

Gah that's confusing lol

You can always upgrade on day 3 if you decide to do so, you must do this before the parks close on your last day of use, so day 3 before whatever time the parks close. You will be charged the difference in the price you paid for your ticket and the current gate price of the ticket you are upgrading to, prices will vary based on what you paid for your original 3 day tickets.

We are WDW AP holders and our first trip to DLR will be this October for our Honeymoon. We are upgradeing our APs to Premiers and staying at the DLH. I'm really lookinf forward to it. But I will admit to being a little nervous about the trip and hope we don't have any problems, but I expect a great magical time.

You should be OK, you'll have your awesome and amazing Premiere APs! :) Congratulations!

hmm interesting. When we went in August they were putting names on tickets, DBF, DD13 and SIL, BIL and their 3 kids had their names printed on the tickets by the computer. We purchased them in the Toy Story lot. DBF's Mom & Dad bought their tickets elsewhere (not sure where, probably online) and had to manually write their names on the tickets, they just used regular ball point pens and were never questioned. I wonder if Disney realized that regular ink can be removed somehow so they changed to Sharpie.
I'm glad you're having fun :)

It's been reported here that the ticket brokers were having their customers sign in erasable ink and this is why they started doing the pictures... So, I can understand the sharpie requirement, but the CMs asking people to sign their tickets should all know this requirement.

It's been reported here that the ticket brokers were having their customers sign in erasable ink and this is why they started doing the pictures... So, I can understand the sharpie requirement, but the CMs asking people to sign their tickets should all know this requirement.

Yes, and they should have Sharpies on hand for guests to use. DBF's parents used pens that the CM's gave them to write their names on the tickets. I didn't think erasable ink would work well on those tickets, seems like it would be smudgy but I haven't tried it so I don't know. lol

I empathize with you about the extra morning hours! Our family has been coming to DLR for the past 4 years so we sort of know our way around. Sadly I can no longer explain to someone how MM works. In the past it was pretty simple with MM only at DL park.

Now there is EMH for hotel guests which is valid only at DCA. I think hotel guests still get MM too but not sure. I'm reading this thread and learn AP holders get APEE! What the heck is that? I aware park hoppers tickets get one day of MM too but those are only good at DL. Why not at DCA?

Disney really need to clean up this mess. Perhaps just renaming everything to MM and let everyone decide which park they want to visit.

I empathize with you about the extra morning hours! Our family has been coming to DLR for the past 4 years so we sort of know our way around. Sadly I can no longer explain to someone how MM works. In the past it was pretty simple with MM only at DL park.

Now there is EMH for hotel guests which is valid only at DCA. I think hotel guests still get MM too but not sure. I'm reading this thread and learn AP holders get APEE! What the heck is that? I aware park hoppers tickets get one day of MM too but those are only good at DL. Why not at DCA?

Disney really need to clean up this mess. Perhaps just renaming everything to MM and let everyone decide which park they want to visit.

I'm not sure if you are just making a point- namely that 3 different early entry programs are VERY confusing- to which I completely agree or if you want more and clearer info too- but this helped me: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1675403 It explains all three programs and when they happen...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter