First Day Booking Madness!

Wow! Guess I was lucky. I called exactly at 8am, was put on hold and got a person at 8:35 am. By 8:45, I had my current cruise
transferred to Alaska next year.

My other gripe....and I know this happens every time there's an opening of new itineraries....PRICE! It seems opening day prices aren't even a great benefit anymore. I've seen great deals on GTY rates and Florida Resident rates that are much better than opening prices. In fact, my parents were able to join us on our June cruise last year at the last minute. They booked less than a month out and got a verandah room for less than an inside room's price on opening day. And, we switched our inside room to a verandah, and got a REFUND! This summer we are jumping ship to RCI. I was hoping to go back to DCL for 2016, but it's not looking good. My gut tells me just to wait it out and see if there are discounts offered at last minute.

Totally agree! I have never booked opening day yet my cruises have cost far less the opening day.

Totally agree! I have never booked opening day yet my cruises have cost far less the opening day.

Yeah me too. I'm going to this time because I'm considering Alaska or Norway in May. We will do another cruise in the Fall and I will hold out for a discount. The med cruises in Sept look promising. I don't see many parents pulling their kids out of school to go to Europe right after school starts so I'm optimistic about discounts.

My other gripe....and I know this happens every time there's an opening of new itineraries....PRICE! It seems opening day prices aren't even a great benefit anymore. I've seen great deals on GTY rates and Florida Resident rates that are much better than opening prices. In fact, my parents were able to join us on our June cruise last year at the last minute. They booked less than a month out and got a verandah room for less than an inside room's price on opening day. And, we switched our inside room to a verandah, and got a REFUND! This summer we are jumping ship to RCI. I was hoping to go back to DCL for 2016, but it's not looking good. My gut tells me just to wait it out and see if there are discounts offered at last minute.

I would expect to see GT rates pop up in April. They have offered them on about every cruise over the last year I don't think June will be any different. Still lots of availability. We just cruised on the Magic for 1,700 less than opening day prices.

I know my TA was on hold for at least an hour +. God bless her. I'm passing on the Fantasy sailings she priced for me. The Europe ones I didn't bother with because I knew I'd never spend that for the cruise + air for 4.

With our boys both aging out of Vibe into the 18-21 no-man's-land and their waning interest in characters, etc. it feels like a natural move to shift towards other lines. For close to what a cat 9 b2b on the Fantasy in May is I can do a Haven suite on NCL's new Escape for the same length of time. Helloooooo butler service, concierge perks, ultimate dining, ultimate beverages, prepaid gratuities, AND $300 OBC for each sailing. Yeah, I'll take it!
This is so right on!!!
That's exactly what we are doing, booked the Escape in a Haven suite with all those added amenities

When I called right at 7, the recording said the wait would be at least 15 minutes. At 8:10 I had to leave to go to a class. Clearly DCL doesn't have enough people to man the phones, or they have too many people allowed to book today. I am Gold, but I think there should be a separate day for each Castaway Club level to book. I also think that Silver ought to be able to book ahead of the general public.

I was going to book the Transatlantic while I thought more about it. However, what used to be one of DCL's best values has now gotten pretty pricey. I will enjoy my TA cruise this May, and I will enjoy the two 2016 cruises I have booked on Princess and Celebrity.

TBH I would separate the ships this week new cruises Magic over a few days, next week Wonder Alaska, etc, and find a way to log in under your castaway number to book online so you do not have to call today.

After reading this thread, I can't believe how easy we had it booking today. We are currently on a 7 day western Magic cruise and they announced the new cruise iteneraries yesterday. I was at the on board booking desk @ 7:30 which is 30 min before they opened it. I was waiting for 8:00 to come around but she indicated to me they opened up her bookings at 7:45 which is 15 min prior to the phone lines going live. She had my cruise booked and I was back in my stateroom by 8:00.

Now if I could just be on a cruise everytime they released the new iteneraries!

I did try a TA this time (just turned gold last cruise) but here is is 2pm PST and no quote at all. I'm not sure what is up.... she responded quickly when I mentioned the prices for one option are just insane and not to bother so I know she is there! :(

I did try a TA this time (just turned gold last cruise) but here is is 2pm PST and no quote at all. I'm not sure what is up.... she responded quickly when I mentioned the prices for one option are just insane and not to bother so I know she is there! :(
They have had a busy day the plan will be book all then paperwork, Suggestion, log in on the a DCL website and see if it's there, you may not see a price but you will see its booked.

They have had a busy day the plan will be book all then paperwork, Suggestion, log in on the a DCL website and see if it's there, you may not see a price but you will see its booked.

That was a good thought, but when I log in I don't see anything so she must not have. I am glad I was not going for British Isles but the price on the Bajas for October 2015 rose pretty quickly too... if it went up in the meantime I don't think I could stomach it since I would just feel regret about it for not calling myself this morning!

That was a good thought, but when I log in I don't see anything so she must not have. I am glad I was not going for British Isles but the price on the Bajas for October 2015 rose pretty quickly too... if it went up in the meantime I don't think I could stomach it since I would just feel regret about it for not calling myself this morning!
I could see mine hours back and had an email confirmation within an hour of release.

I could see mine hours back and had an email confirmation within an hour of release.

That is more what I was expecting for sure! ;) I am very happy for you though sad for me...! I did not pick a random or rinky dink place either... tons of people love these guys so I thought I was 'safe' or at least in good hands.

I really wish they would let Platinum & Gold CC members book on-line on the first day of booking for new stuff like today. I was on hold for an HOUR and 24 MINUTES on TWO PHONES and had to hang up b/c I had to take my daughter to school. I have called back and am still on hold for nearly an hour again. This is ridiculous!

& It would be nice if there were some sort of first day booking perks for CC members that have had say 25+ cruises (or if they wanted to change the CC member status based to # of nights, something for people who have cruised a lot). As it stands now, there is no real benefit to Platinum guests over the Gold guests even, which I feel is totally unfair. I have 28 sailings under my belt & 3 more booked and have spent loads of $ with DCL. Today's issues are just ridiculous!

Ok...rant over. Thanks for listening & feel free to post your rants too. ;)
I used to feel this way for use people who have stayed concierge in Disney resorts 100 times plus!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter