First cruise - looking for advice?

LHM2001

Earning My Ears
Hi! We are going on our first cruise (disney dream - 3 night bahama cruise) in February. We have 3 very active boys ages 7, 9 and 11. We need to book port excursions soon adn I'm having troubel figuring out what to do. In Nassau, my husband wants to do the diving excursion, so the kids and I will be on our own. I'm looking at dolphin excursions - there's one at blue lagoon adn one at atlantis - not sure what would be better? adn wondering if my husband can come meet up with us after his dive? We've never been to a tropical place before so this is a pretty big deal for us so I'd like to "experience it" although I appreciate it's a very short cruise. any advice or recommendations on what we should do? (I'm not stuck on the dolphins - it just sounded cool). What would be a good "tropical island experience" for us there? We also get a day at Castaway Cay, and I'm thinking about renting bikes and tubes (and snorkling? can we do snorkling as well?) and mostly just hanging out at the beach (but not just laying around) and going for a little explore on the bikes.

Any tips, suggestions or advice HUGELY appreciated!! I'm feeling overwhelmed!!!!

Oops - I forgot to mention - I'm also concerned about weather. The dolphin excursions are really expensive - what if it's really cold or windy? is the weather in february there usually pretty decent? we're used to swimming in teh ocean in British Columbia (Canada) so I suspect we will fare alright regardless but I'm just not sure what to expect?

Hi! We are going on our first cruise (disney dream - 3 night bahama cruise) in February. We have 3 very active boys ages 7, 9 and 11. We need to book port excursions soon adn I'm having troubel figuring out what to do. In Nassau, my husband wants to do the diving excursion, so the kids and I will be on our own. I'm looking at dolphin excursions - there's one at blue lagoon adn one at atlantis - not sure what would be better? adn wondering if my husband can come meet up with us after his dive? We've never been to a tropical place before so this is a pretty big deal for us so I'd like to "experience it" although I appreciate it's a very short cruise. any advice or recommendations on what we should do? (I'm not stuck on the dolphins - it just sounded cool). What would be a good "tropical island experience" for us there? We also get a day at Castaway Cay, and I'm thinking about renting bikes and tubes (and snorkling? can we do snorkling as well?) and mostly just hanging out at the beach (but not just laying around) and going for a little explore on the bikes.

Any tips, suggestions or advice HUGELY appreciated!! I'm feeling overwhelmed!!!!

The average temps in the Bahamas for Jan & Feb is a high of around 77 degrees. The ocean can be pretty chilly that time of year. But, kids just don't seem to notice how chilly the water is. Atlantis Resort is a very nice place to visit. You and your kids should have a great time. The dolphin excursions are alot of fun. The kids will get a kick swimming with them. My wife and I enjoy seeing some of the islands and learning about the history and culture of that island. But kids, want to be active. So I think I would go for the dolphin excursion. If you like cruising, don't forget to book your next cruise on board the ship, to take advantage of Disney's discounts for rebooking on board the ship. Have a GREAT cruise!!!:thumbsup2

DH and I swam with the dolphins in the Pacific in July, then January. Yes, it was colder in the winter and one of the ladies was shivering, but we were so involved I was able to "get past" the water temp. Normally, I don't stick my big toe in the water unless it's bath-tub warm. Since you're from cold country, the weather on your cruise will probably feel like summer.

Not cheap, but a great shore excursion! Your boys won't even realize they're having a hands-on lesson in marine biology. The dolphin handlers are very careful with the animals, and that's another lesson right there.

Thank you so much! any suggestions on which would be the better one to do? there's one at Atlantis and one at Blue Lagoon

We went to the blue lagoon dolphin adventure and loved it!!!!

We stayed after and enjoyed the lagoon after!!! Have not been to Atlantis

My wife and I enjoyed laying in the hammocks while the kids played in the water and on the water obstacles.

Boat ride was cool as well to see all the stars houses.

You will love castaway. We did it all. we ended up sharing 2 tubes, rented bikes and snorkeled and still have time for other things.

have loads of fun!

You can do it all at Castway Cay, you're there all day!
Feel free to make rental decisions on the spot, they have plenty of bikes and other equipment available for you. And you can have lunch together there near the beach ~ so nice!

What about the water park adventures at Atlantis?
They have an excursion called the "Atlantis Dolphin Cay Shallow Water Interaction and Aquaventure". It looks to have both dolphins and the water park. Sounds great!

We did the "Discovery Atlantis" excursion...a tour of the aquariums of Atlantis (quiet tour). That resort is gorgeous!

Have fun whatever you choose to do!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter