First cruise ever......

cavesrus

Mouseketeer
this will be our first time using the Disney cruise line we are planning on going in February 2016. My wife and both of my daughters have never been on a cruise ship. We are planning on taking a four day Cruise. Traveling to the Bahamas and two castaway key. Any helpful tips tricks dues and don'ts we have yet to book the trip but we are planning to do so next week should we book the trip through a travel agent question we go through Disney directly is there a cheaper route with either one.

Ty Aaron

How exciting!!! You will have so much fun!!! Travel agents are offering stateroom credits right now and Disney does not have any deals, so I personally would go with an agent for booking the cruise. I am using Dreams Unlimited right now for my cruise next year and they have been fantastic so far! Plus, they will keep an eye on future sales/deals that they can apply to your cruise if something comes up after you book. I would definitely book as soon as you can because the prices increase as the ship gets booked up.

I would suggest booking in the middle of the ship - less motion to be worried about. My first cruise we booked in the very the front and it was not pleasant :-( Just my experience though.

I love cruising....happy to answer any questions you have, but not an expert by any means!

You will love your cruise! There are myriad threads here on packing, dining rotations, etc etc. You can ignore almost all of them, imnsho. Unless you are obsessive, then you will LOVE them....:rolleyes1

Wife says ty about middle of ship. Lol she is very afraid of getting sick. I will put everyone on meds before we leave etc..... Book cruise before or after disney world?

For our first cruise, we went to WDW first. For our next cruise, we are going to sandwich the cruise between WDW.

Stateroom credit was what I was wondering about..... Financing is not really an issue for the trip. Thank goodness! Lol

I would cruise after WDW. For my first cruise, we did WDW after cruising and I found that everything on the cruise is a step friendlier, nicer and cleaner. I was almost disappointed with WDW. I also agree with the previous post that the cruise is a great way to wind down after the parks too!

Yes, unless it has recently changed, Disney visa is offering a $50 on board drink credit right now. Must pay in full before 12/31/15.

Your family will have so much fun! I prefer to book directly through DCL since they then become responsible for getting us where we need to be. I also love the service we get from them. We did WDW after the cruise which worked for our family. I am pretty wiped out after WDW and would prefer not to spend the first day or two of the cruise recuperating. It also made it easier to get off the ship knowing we were heading for the Magic Kingdom! You can't go wrong either way.

Yes, unless it has recently changed, Disney visa is offering a $50 on board drink credit right now. Must pay in full before 12/31/15.

Yes. You get the 6 months free financing, BUT I think you only get the $50 OBC (for drinks) if you pay for your cruise exclusively with your DVC.

One year I booked it with my DVC, but paid if off through my bank account. I didn't get the credit.

I could be wrong, but that was my experience.

DCL Travel agents are giving good onboard credits that are more than $50. So still might be a better choice. We've used Travel Agent for our last WDW trip and now for our cruise. Its the same great service you get from Disney direct and definitely have been able to get some credits we wouldn't have otherwise. You even get some great tip sheets on what to pack, how to make reservations at restaurants, etc that you don't get from Disney. I never understood the benefit of a TA before. You still get your Disney luggage tags etc. We've used Audie Lawley with Magic for Less.

Moremouse, you are correct that you have to pay the entire cruise with the Disney Visa. The $50 drink credit can be combined with a TA credit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter