First cruise ever.

Zeke370

Earning My Ears
We are booked and paid for on the Disney Wonder Alaska Cruise on August 24th. This is my DW first time out to sea on a ship, I have served in the US Navy on submarines. My DW is doing this cruise for me because I have always wanted to go on cruise, but she is not always comfortable on the water. Any advice I can get to help her as we get to the port, check in, and board the ship.

Right now she is excited to go as we have watched several videos on YouTube and Disney Cruise Line DVD. However I anticipating that she may get antsy when get to the Canada Place terminal.

Hopefully she loves it and we can make these cruises a regular vacation plan in the future.

J

Congrats on your first cruise! I've never been on an Alaskan, but we are planning one soon :) We were thinking 2016 but now it will likely be 2017. I think she will be antsy if she is worried about it. I would just be supportive and let her know that like Titanic if it ever came to it you would drown to let her survive! :)

This Alaskan cruise is mostly up a channel where you see land on both sides so it is pretty smooth sailing. The cruise was awesome! I did another Alaskan cruise which went further north via open ocean. This is much more enjoyable for those prone to motion sickness.

My advice: Goodie bag! Get a small bag of goodies, distractions, possibly reading material, camera, ANYTHING to keep her excited and distracted from any anxiousness. I can guarantee there will be plenty to take pictures of. Scavenger hunt? Maybe this is childish but Im a child at heart and love the idea!

Also if you havent watched this video:
I advise you too, and the 3 more that come after by this guy. He is SOO excited I love it! Me and my sister have watched this video several times in preparing for our trip. The guy is awesome and I LOVE how excited he is! "food after food after food after food" "shrimp after shrimp after shrimp after shrimp"

Hope this helps! Enjoy your trip! Have so much fun!

On my first cruise, I was kind of freaking out about being on the water. It was fine until we got out to sea and then I felt a little trapped. A couple things helped: spa and palo brunch! Schedule those for the second morning. I think a lot of it was it just helped me to be away from the crowds and relaxing.

My advice: Goodie bag! Get a small bag of goodies, distractions, possibly reading material, camera, ANYTHING to keep her excited and distracted from any anxiousness. I can guarantee there will be plenty to take pictures of. Scavenger hunt? Maybe this is childish but Im a child at heart and love the idea!

Also if you havent watched this video:
I advise you too, and the 3 more that come after by this guy. He is SOO excited I love it! Me and my sister have watched this video several times in preparing for our trip. The guy is awesome and I LOVE how excited he is! "food after food after food after food" "shrimp after shrimp after shrimp after shrimp"

Hope this helps! Enjoy your trip! Have so much fun!

I have seen this video a lot. I have also created a playlist of people's videos on YouTube that have been on our cruise itinerary. She is getting bored with that, but she will watch from time to time.

Submarines Once, Submarines Twice...Oh my jumpin Jesus Christ!... (SUBVET - USS Lapon, USS Asheville, USS Pasadena, USS LaJolla -retired Sonar Technician Submarines Chief). Try for a later arrival time. Iff possible do not subject her to the mass crowds rushing to get onboard. Your view of the water and the ship can be avoided in the terminal with a little work. Cell phone games, word searches, IPAD books...use something to distract her line of sight. After your boarding photo enter the ship quickly. The brow is largely enclosed so she will not have that to worry about "walking the plank". Once on-board maybe skip the outside Sail Away Party. There will be dining available inside and a party atmosphere. Tour the ship while everyone else is above deck. Introduce here slowly to the outside later when there are fewer people.

I don't see were you live. I was able to take my DW on smaller "day cruises" to Ensenada before the big Disney cruise. Also, she tried dinner cruises to build up her nerves.

Submarines Once, Submarines Twice...Oh my jumpin Jesus Christ!... (SUBVET - USS Lapon, USS Asheville, USS Pasadena, USS LaJolla -retired Sonar Technician Submarines Chief).

Thanks for the advice Chief. NAV ET on the USS Michigan ET2/SS.

As I have talked to her about when to board when she wants to be there, she is pretty adamant about being there early as possible.

Chief one last question....did the showers meet the ST standards? I'm sure they are larger than than a submarine's. ;)

You got jokes!!!! Yes, they meet ST standards. They are boomer size so I only used 1/3 of it and faced away from the nozzle. (wink, wink)

Chief you know what having dolphins means. Thanks for the advice. Anyone else have been on the Alaska DCL 7 night itinerary.

I understand! DCl was my first cruise and I hated boats of any kind, still do lol . I am not a water person ( except pools) and I was VERY nervous.. VERY ! I have to say though 5 minutes after leaving port I was just fine:) we even filled a small storm the first night and I was having so much fun I did not even notice. I don't even pay attention now, we do one every year. I think that maybe when she gets onboard all the fun stuff to do will keep her busy. HAVE A GREAT TRIP!

You can spend your time on the ship sometimes hardly even realizing that you're on the water. Avoid the top decks and sitting by the windows unless it's dark out. Honestly, sometimes I'd even forget that we were on a ship - it seems like being in a very large hotel if you don't look outside. Then there are often so many activities that you completely lose track of where you are.

So another question. When can I do On-line Check in for Alaska? I know what date it is going to be, but is it midnight Eastern or is it midnight Pacific time?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter