First Christmas Question

DD was 8 months old at Christmas last year, and all we personally got her was a Gloworm. We were at my parents house on Christmas morning anyway, so she got to open her gifts from them & from my sister as well. From them she got Christmas PJs (given the night before so she could wear them), books, a Fisher Price ball popper, a Fisher Price push/ride-on toy, and a few stocking stuffers like squirties for the bath & a toothbrush. Her favorite things were the wrapping paper - and the toothbrush! She went to town chewing on that thing, lol.

Honestly, unless you have older children who believe in Santa, I wouldn't spend much on an infant. She won't know what's going on, & will probably like the wrapping paper & boxes just as much as the actual gifts.

This year she'll be 20 months old & we're getting her an American Girl Bitty Baby. Her grandma is getting her a doll stroller to go with it. (She lives in FL so we won't see her, she just sends a gift.)

I'm not sure about doing any "from Santa" gifts. Did your 20-month-old understand Santa? We haven't really talked about Santa yet, so I'm not sure if she'll get it.

In-laws asked me what to get dd for her first Christmas. I said a red wagon.

MIL was not amused. I was serious and wouldn't budge. It was the only thing I suggested.

Ended up they did give her that little red wagon, plus other stuff. No idea 2 decades later what that other stuff was, but both dd's used that red wagon hard for years as children.

Oldest dd STILL has that little red wagon, using it now when she gardens.

Babies always like the bows and wrappers better than anything you buy for them.

Sheila

So true! DS is a January baby, so he was 11 months old and alert/active/mobile for his first Christmas...and he loved the paper and boxes.

Quite honestly, we wrapped up some pass-along puzzles and books from some good friends and he was happy as a clam. I do remember buying him some Playskool cars and some other Fisher Price type stuff too, but again with the paper and boxes being the favorites! (heck, he's almost 7 and we bought a Pottery Barn wine bar last spring...he's still playing with those big boxes in our spare bedroom and won't let us recycle them!)

In-laws asked me what to get dd for her first Christmas. I said a red wagon.

MIL was not amused. I was serious and wouldn't budge. It was the only thing I suggested.

Ended up they did give her that little red wagon, plus other stuff. No idea 2 decades later what that other stuff was, but both dd's used that red wagon hard for years as children.

Oldest dd STILL has that little red wagon, using it now when she gardens.

DS got a little red wagon from my parents for his first Christmas! It was a little walk-behind Radio Flyer one, which was great since he was walking by that point. I had forgotten about it!

My guy will be 3.5 months this Christmas. I am getting him a few books, a few small toys, this teething blankie I saw in the One Step Ahead catalog and that's about it. I do feel like maybe we should get him a "big" thing from Santa even though I know he will care less. He has an Exersaucer already so I am still thinking. I am looking to spend about $40 on it- so ideas are welcome!

Not much! DD was 2 months, so the only thing I really remember was a stocking full of essentials....balmex, baby wash/lotion, etc. :) DH and I went through the paces of "Let's look in your stocking!" and giggled when we pulled out the surprises. I think she also got a few new books, small infant toys, special Christmas jammies, etc. Enjoy a very small holiday celebrating your new little bundle!

She was 4 months old, so I just asked for stuff that I would need for her. Winter clothes, snugli, hats, clothes, diapers...

What did you buy your child for their first Christmas? I'm having a hard time thinking of what to get her..... Let me learn from your experience!

One or two very simple toys (Haba brand from Oompa Toys) and some clothes (cloth dipes included). Then I wrapped the toys separately from the boxes and wrapped the boxes as well. And yep, he liked the boxes more! My husband thought I was brilliant for that. :goodvibes I just kept reading about people being so SAD that their babies liked the boxes better than the gifts, so I figured I'd make it all a present!

DD was 7 weeks old her first Christmas. She got a swing, clothes and a few nice hardback Childrens Holiday books- Grinch, Rudolph ect.

I can't remember what I got my DD but I just wanted to congratulate you, on such a special season coming up. Such a magical time of year, especially with a new little one.:)

I can't remember what I got my DD but I just wanted to congratulate you, on such a special season coming up. Such a magical time of year, especially with a new little one.:)

Thanks so much! We are VERY excited about the holiday season this year!

Make sure you get a personalized ornament made and have her photo done with her dressed up in Christmas finery.

One thing my mother has done for most of the children in the family was she purchased a child-sized wooden rocking chair. The last one she bought, I think was from LL Bean and it was personalized. I still have both of my kids' chairs (now 14 and 12). My sister--who is 35 still has her chair. Around Christmas time, my mother brings it out and sits a stuffed teddy bear dressed in Christmas clothes in it.

Beautiful pics!

My oldest was a little over a month; my youngest was two days old!

We went with what a lot of others have said -- savings bonds from family, a few books, an ornament, etc.

A friend of mine, however, went the cheap but effective route. Her daughter was eight months. People smothered her with gifts since she was the first grandchild. They let her unwrap everything -- and play with the bows, which is what she really loved -- and then Mama boxed up 90% of the stuff, rewrapped them, and gave them to her for her birthday and her second Christmas. :rotfl2:

I like giving special, dated ornaments. Get a photo taken with Santa and either frame it and/or turn it into a photo ornament. Get a special book and write the date and a special message inside. We started the tradition of giving our kids matching new pj's on christmas eve.

Now that our kids are older, they don't remember the "gifts" they received, they remember the special family things we did - it's all about making memories (and those can be free). For example, we would cook hotdogs and s'mores in the fireplace and/or eat pizza on a plastic tablecloth in front of the Christmas tree, with all of the lights turned off except the tree lights.

I like the idea of giving kids just 3 gifts each in honor of the three wisemen bringing gifts to Jesus.

Our son was about 1 month old. We got him a book that we read to him for years....Twis the Night Before Christmas.

Lauren~ I am having the same problem as you. You probably already know my DD is about a month older than yours. I have a few clothes for her and a Tupperware ball where you put the shapes in the matching holes. I was going to tell you tho that my DD has the leap frog My Puppy Pal Violet already and she really likes it and I love how it says her name and even spells it. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter