First Case of Swine Flu Reported @ Disney

Only this station is reporting this as of 12:23pm...I wonder why the paper and other television stations aren't reporting this too?

WFTV is notorious to jump in early on anything "anti" Disney. And it's an ABC station on top of that....go figure!:confused3

Edited to add....the other Orlando news outlets are saying the story is NOT confirmed!

http://www.wesh.com/health/19311086/detail.html

Typical WFTV.....if it's anything anti Disney take it and run! Confirmed or not!!!

I know someone at Florida Hospital and they can confirm it.

Thankfully, The Big Bad Wolf is is expected to make a full recovery.

A disney bus driver told me the story, and a boat captain confirmed it, so it must be true! :lmao:

Here we go folks. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, if you are seriously sick, please DO NOT visit WDW. Diseases spread quickly in this type of enviroment, and I know we do not want to infect others..........right? And, if you do get sick, PLEASE get to the hospital in Orlando, and stay away from others. Some will say, "Oh, I have spent a lot of money on this vacation, I'm not missing out on anything. Well, guess what? no body wants to catch what you have, so once again, PLEASE use some common sense.

I think it is only a matter of time before we hear of some confirmed cases about the Swine Flu in Orlando. It isn't logical to think that Orlando is going to escape the Swine Flu with the massive number of people travelling in and out of the MCO airport. Disney and Orlando is the number one Family Vacation location in the USA.

I am watching carefully the new U.S. states added each day that have the Swine Flu confimed, and my own home state of Connecticut has now been added to the U.S. states with Swine Flu.

Can you imagine the airline travel industry, hotels, Disney, etc dealing with even a dozen reported cases of Swine Flu in Orlando. I wonder what they are saying PRIVATELY in boardroom meetings each day hoping that the Swine Flu doesn't make its way to Orlando, and what to say or not say if it does arrive.

I'm going to Disney in 12 days, I will be bringing travel and pocket packages of anti bacterial soaps, and a couple of high filtration face masks just in case. If you saw some people wearing masks in the park would you freak out?

I pray we all stay safe, and Disney can keep on giving us the magic we all seek.

Phil

Read the Orlando Sentinel article on line.
They've done a nasal swab on the person of interest.
Nothing confirmed as of yet.
So as of this moment on Tuesday night, there are still ZERO cases in Florida.

BobK/Orlando

Read the Orlando Sentinel article on line.
They've done a nasal swab on the person of interest.
Nothing confirmed as of yet.
So as of this moment on Tuesday night, there are still ZERO cases in Florida.

BobK/Orlando

Key words: as of yet. It's only a matter of time. Everybody needs to be vigilante.

NOTE: There is a HUGE thread on the FLU SWINE subject in the Theme Park Strategies Forum.

Although I think that the national news sources are blowing the swine flu out of proportion, I do acknowledge the presence and threat of this disease and the danger of it spreading exponentially at crowded places such as Walt Disney World. I heard this disease is most common in New York right now which, guess what, has the most densely populated city in America. With all the people that stand in line at WDW and other theme parks, the disease could spread very easily to all parts of the country as people leave Florida and go back to their home states. Wash your hands people!

Can you imagine the airline travel industry, hotels, Disney, etc dealing with even a dozen reported cases of Swine Flu in Orlando. I wonder what they are saying PRIVATELY in boardroom meetings each day hoping that the Swine Flu doesn't make its way to Orlando, and what to say or not say if it does arrive.

While currently the threat is low, if panic sets in this scenario could be similar to the 9/11 aftermath. The parks were as empty as I had seen it in years in late 2001.

And, I think this is the real reason Florida Hospital denies that it is swine flu. If the doctor was wrong, and the case was not swine flu, FH could be liable for losses caused by unguided assumptions. The case may be swine flu, but FH will let the CDC make that call.

Here we go folks. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, if you are seriously sick, please DO NOT visit WDW.

While I agree, by the time you are outwardly sick, how many people have you already infected? But you're right, get to care, because the quicker it is diagnosed, the less serious it becomes.

Typical WFTV.....if it's anything anti Disney take it and run! Confirmed or not!!!

Not just Disney, WFTV are the 'sensationalist news' of Orlando IMO.

While currently the threat is low, if panic sets in this scenario could be similar to the 9/11 aftermath. The parks were as empty as I had seen it in years in late 2001.

And, I think this is the real reason Florida Hospital denies that it is swine flu. If the doctor was wrong, and the case was not swine flu, FH could be liable for losses caused by unguided assumptions. The case may be swine flu, but FH will let the CDC make that call.

While I agree, by the time you are outwardly sick, how many people have you already infected? But you're right, get to care, because the quicker it is diagnosed, the less serious it becomes.

Not just Disney, WFTV are the 'sensationalist news' of Orlando IMO.

Hmmm. while not wishing anyone should become ill, I remember the lack of crowds at the parks after 9/11. Totally devoid of guests. And the way things have been at the resorts in lo these many years since then, a few less bodies on sight would be a welcome relief from the horrendous mobs that have been there lately..............

What gets me is I been hearing Swine flu can be cured so whats the panic for?

There is not a vaccine for this flu. There was one in the 70's when it first was diagnosed in the US, but the vaccine had serious side effects (paralysis in some people). The vaccine is no longer used.

This flu can be fatal to the same people as all flus (young, elderly, and those with a weakened immunity system). Tamiflu is available for those that are diagnosed, but it is not a cure for it.

OK, I understand the concern, I am concerned since my family are in the public all day everyday in their jobs, so I did some internet searching, one article, I did not take note of the site, but the article did state the loading up with Vit D could help your body fight off an exposure. Do I believe this, I do not know, but I do know Vit D is good for me, so I will just plan on everyone in my family taking a Vit D supplement, as long as I do not go over the dose recommended it figure it can't hurt.

In addition, wash hands as often as possible, keep your hands away from your face, and try to not let people sneeze or cough in your face, if that happens, try to wipe the areas around your eyes, nose and mouth as soon as you can. Obviously, try not to sneeze or cough on anyone, keep a tissue handy even if you do not feel you have a need.

Prevention is the key, hopefully we will get thru this scare with as little damage as possible if we all practice clean habits.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter