First Aid kit and other sensible things to pack on a cruise...

jennorthernireland

Mouseketeer
So I was reading another thread and it made me think about what I should be packing for my family in terms of dealing with/preventing health issues while we are away. Here's what I have come up with so far, but please let me know what you think would be a good idea to pack!

High factor suncream and after-sun lotion for our 'burn as soon as the sun looks like it might want to come out' skin (we are Irish, what can I say?!)

Paracetemol and brufen

decongestants

anti mosquito spray/cream

blister healing plasters

normal plasters

antisceptic cream

bite/sting spray

tissues

antibacterial wipes

antibacterial hand lotion

mini sewing kit

gin - to help cure everything ;)

I went to my pharmacist to ask for his advice regarding seasickness meds and he essentially told me to 'man up' (I am not a man btw! :rotfl2:) and that if we feel sick to go outside for a bit and look at the horizon and if we are feeling really rotten to take the meds offered on board! Maybe the gin can play a role here too... :rotfl: I am still undecided on this one!

For our cruise last week I had bug spray (didn't need it), sun burn lotion (did need it), band-aids (aka plasters), aspirin and a sewing kit. Not sure why you'd need decongestants... I also don't go overboard (no pun intended) on the antibacterial supplies as I'm pretty sure an antibiotic-resistant super bug is going to kill us all from overuse of antibacterial products, but that said, I did use the hand wipes they had at the restaurant entrances and used the hand cleaners in the kids clubs myself.

I was thinking about the anti-bacterial wipes and hand sanitizer particulary for the ports - there are 4 on our Med cruise and I would rather be safe than sorry with public conveniences. In normal life, I don't overly worry about that sort of thing, but it would such a shame to get sick on our holidays.

The decongestants came about through a recent Med thread which discussed the colds and sinus infections doing the rounds on the Magic at present - again, I was veering on the 'rather be safe than sorry' point of view! A cold isn't the end of the world by any means, but for my husband they tend to turn into quite painful sinus infections. That's where the gin would come in handy for me, because I would have to listen to him! ;)

I wondered if plasters would be the same word used in the US - now I know it's band-aid - learn something new every day!

So I was reading another thread and it made me think about what I should be packing for my family in terms of dealing with/preventing health issues while we are away. Here's what I have come up with so far, but please let me know what you think would be a good idea to pack!

High factor suncream and after-sun lotion for our 'burn as soon as the sun looks like it might want to come out' skin (we are Irish, what can I say?!)

Paracetemol and brufen

decongestants

anti mosquito spray/cream

blister healing plasters

normal plasters

antisceptic cream

bite/sting spray

tissues

antibacterial wipes

antibacterial hand lotion

mini sewing kit

gin - to help cure everything ;)

I went to my pharmacist to ask for his advice regarding seasickness meds and he essentially told me to 'man up' (I am not a man btw! :rotfl2:) and that if we feel sick to go outside for a bit and look at the horizon and if we are feeling really rotten to take the meds offered on board! Maybe the gin can play a role here too... :rotfl: I am still undecided on this one!

Not to be too indelicate but don't forget an antidiarrheal, as well as antacids. A lot of fancy food, when your system isn't use to it, can cause many problems. ;)

Ah, I wasn't aware of your destination. Your explanations make sense and yes, better safe than sorry! I also agree with anti-diarrheal and antacids.

Sorry ntalan, I should have said it was the Med we were heading to! Good call PrincessShmoo on the meds for tummy problems - I had forgotten about that aspect of things. On my shopping list now for tomorrow, thank you.

I'm taking Emergen-C and/or Airborne to help keep our inmmunity up during the trip :goodvibes

Ok...I'm cutting/pasting this directly from my 'cruise pack list'. I know it may be a bit 'overkill', so don't flame:

Band aids, Neosporin, cold meds (decongestant), allergy meds, Tums/Rolaids, Tylenol, Advil, Pepto Bismol, Bonine

Not to be too indelicate but don't forget an antidiarrheal, as well as antacids. A lot of fancy food, when your system isn't use to it, can cause many problems. ;)

Disclaimer: We have small kids but...We take Tylenol, ibuprofen, decongestants, cough drops, cough suppressant, thermometer, anti-acid, anti-diarrhea, any leftover anitbiotics/eyedrops/eardrops, anti-allergy (benedryl), anit-itch cream, diaper rash cream, seasickness (bonine, bonine for kids, Dramamine), anti-gas.

We keep all of this stuff in ziplock bags at all times and throw them in the suitcase when we travel. And ear plugs. My husband snores.

i pack sunscreen......anything else i may need is in the shops on board. i seldom need anything else and with the weight restrictions on planes, well, less is more.
and before anyone mentions it here is the disclaimer that you do pay a bit more for items on the ship but as i say, i seldom need any of this.

I always pack antibacterial wipes for the airplane trays....soooo many germs.

Disclaimer: We have small kids but...We take Tylenol, ibuprofen, decongestants, cough drops, cough suppressant, thermometer, anti-acid, anti-diarrhea, any leftover anitbiotics/eyedrops/eardrops, anti-allergy (benedryl), anit-itch cream, diaper rash cream, seasickness (bonine, bonine for kids, Dramamine), anti-gas.

We keep all of this stuff in ziplock bags at all times and throw them in the suitcase when we travel. And ear plugs. My husband snores.

As a side note, we do not have to fly, only drive, so we have lots of space.

I take a couple of sachets of Alka Seltzers with me. Incase my Tum gets upset with the Loads of Food and Drink and Food and Drink.:)

especially when traveling in Europe, I make sure to bring small packets of tissues, they come in really handy when I find I'm in a WC without an adequate supply....

And I suggest too taking an old giftcard with no balance on it or an expired credit card sized room key and wrapping a meter or so of Duct Tape around it for emergency repairs. I also do this with adhesive tape for immediate first aid for any "hot spots" on my feet.

I would bring antibiotic eye drops & eye ointment (they don't carry the ointment on the ship).

It cost me $180 or so to get some from the Medical Center (visit + RX). I was pretty sad that I had rubbed my eyes with germy hands. :rotfl:

Regarding the anti-diarrhea --- I wouldn't take it unless the ship doctor said it was OK. The worst thing you can do is to get some kind of bacteria food poisoning and mis-diagnose yourself and take anti-diarrhea medicine. It's dangerous, and it's gonna hurt real bad.

I also take:

tweezers (you'd be surprised what all you can use them for)

antibacterial soap (2 if I have a room with 2 sinks)

cortaid

triple antibiotic ointment

sewing kit (needles can be used to remove thorns, splinters, etc):eeyore:

I went and got band aids, neosporin, will have meds for tummy trouble. Got my allergy meds and of course I got my RX meds as well. And of course a big huge bottle of sunscreen and burn lotion (just in case). I'm a pasty white Irish kid. :rotfl2:

Regarding the anti-diarrhea --- I wouldn't take it unless the ship doctor said it was OK. The worst thing you can do is to get some kind of bacteria food poisoning and mis-diagnose yourself and take anti-diarrhea medicine. It's dangerous, and it's gonna hurt real bad.

We've taken the anti-diarrheal meds (OTC Immodium,)as sometimes the pureed fruit in the drinks has caused more frequent trips to the bathroom. It might not be for everyone, but it worked for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter