• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First a Little Pomp & Circumstance,then a Whole Lot of Disney Dining! COMPLETE

I was hoping for a Boulangerie patisserie review (or, more importantly, pictures) ;)

Norway then, maybe :confused3

Sadly no, we didn't make it there at all this trip. :sad2: That was one of only a few regrets I have about that trip.

No Napoleon! :sad:

And no we didn't go to Norway either, the bakery or to dine with the Princesses. princess:

I read that article as well.. and I will have to be on the look out for them from now on. Honestly, D-land is not as tempting for food to me, I know hard to believe! :rotfl2: We go to D-land about 5-6 times a month but rarely are we there for more than 4 hours so there are many times we don't eat anything. I do love a Mickey pretzel that I share with DH but my current must have is a kid meal from River Belle Terrace which has the best roast beef sandwich! It has a small sandwich and fruit so between that and a lot of walking I try to make myself think that I'm actually doing something healthy! :rotfl:

We see a lot of people (there are a ton of annual passholders) bring their own food and snacks to the parks at D-land. Way different than WDW.

:)

I actually like quite a bit of food at DL but yes I can see going broke if you ate there everyday! Although they must have Premium AP's so they get a 15% (I think) discount on all food so that would help!!

I haven't been to Disneyland in 10 years, but I would love to go again sometime. :goodvibes I remember eating at a restaurant where you could see the Pirates ride...called the Blue Bayou or something like that??? I had a Monte Cristo sandwich there that was so delicious but probably had about 10,000 calories. :scared: But then again, is the Disneyland food also calorie-free like the food at Disney World??? ;) Is that restaurant even still there???

Oh my goodness I looked at the facebook page for 'That's So Sweet' it looks delicious :goodvibes
I have no idea when we will be driving through but we really should try and have a 'cheeky cheesecake meet' :thumbsup2

Here is just a little extra incentive for you ;)...

c65094c0-1.jpg

"That's So Sweet" Mini-Cheesecakes (Lexington, Illinois)

Flavors: Chocolate topped with a Strawberry, Lemon topped with Blueberries, White chocolate topped with Raspberries, Nutter-Butter, Turtle, and Key Lime.
(I think that's right?)​

My DSIL brought this tray of cheesecakes to a family dinner today. I barely got this picture taken before they were quickly devoured. :lmao:

Yes the Blue Bayou is still in the POTC ride! I haven't dined there but I have had the Monte Cristo at Cafe Orleans (they share a kitchen!) and YUM!! I've had it 2... maybe even 3 times!! LOVE it!! I have a ton of DL dining reviews in my Birthday DL TR if you are ever bored and want to read about DL food!

Okay... I just went to my TR from my birthday and realized I never updated my TOC. I will work on that so it makes it easier to find the restaurants!

Yes the Blue Bayou is still in the POTC ride! I haven't dined there but I have had the Monte Cristo at Cafe Orleans (they share a kitchen!) and YUM!! I've had it 2... maybe even 3 times!! LOVE it!! I have a ton of DL dining reviews in my Birthday DL TR if you are ever bored and want to read about DL food!

Okay... I just went to my TR from my birthday and realized I never updated my TOC. I will work on that so it makes it easier to find the restaurants!

Sounds like something fun to do this weekend...as soon as I finish my next update. ;)

Thanks, Paula! :)

"That's So Sweet" Mini-Cheesecakes (Lexington, Illinois)​

Flavors: Chocolate topped with a Strawberry, Lemon topped with Blueberries, White chocolate topped with Raspberries, Nutter-Butter, Turtle, and Key Lime. (I think that's right?)​

Oh. My. Goodness. :lovestruc

For the first time in my life, I'm contemplating a trip to Illinois. HA! :rotfl:

Seriously, those look phenomenal, especially the lemon-blueberry and key lime ones. Tell them to open a Georgia location STAT. :thumbsup2

Those mini cheesecakes certainly aren't Disney pastries - they look way, way better. :worship:

And I love the story about that couple visiting Disneyland every day for a whole year. Nice to see them turn a negative into a positive (and hopefully he finds employment soon). :goodvibes

Barb you can't tempt me with those delicious looking little cheesecakes!! Oh wait, you just did! You're eeeevvvviiillllll :lmao: I think I see my name in script on one of the raspberry minis.

Smile4stamps: If you've been to Cafe Orleans then I'm sure you tried/seen/smelled the pomme frites - ahhh mazing! (Garlic/parmesean fries with cajun dipping sauce. The smell alone can stop me in my tracks when I walk by there! ;)

Oh. My. Goodness. :lovestruc

For the first time in my life, I'm contemplating a trip to Illinois. HA! :rotfl:

Seriously, those look phenomenal, especially the lemon-blueberry and key lime ones. Tell them to open a Georgia location STAT. :thumbsup2

Those mini cheesecakes certainly aren't Disney pastries - they look way, way better. :worship:

Barb you can't tempt me with those delicious looking little cheesecakes!! Oh wait, you just did! You're eeeevvvviiillllll :lmao: I think I see my name in script on one of the raspberry minis.

Talk about tempting and evil, I work just two blocks from this place! "Mwahahahaahhaha"!!! :rotfl2:

c65094c0-1.jpg

My DSIL and I work in the same building, so whenever one of us is having a bad day we will look at/text the other and say, "Time for cheesecake"!!! :thumbsup2 So I can see our bad days becoming more and more frequent as time goes by (but of course, never on Tuesdays because they are closed on Tuesday. :lmao:).

Six months from now... Oops, broke a nail, "Time for cheesecake"!!! :rotfl:

SIDE NOTE: I just noticed that there are only 22 cheesecakes on that tray. And I know she ordered two dozen (4 of each of 6 different kinds). The two missing cheesecakes are a White Chocolate/Raspberry and a Lemon/Blueberry. Those just happen to be my DSIL's two favorites!!! ;) Now I can't wait to ask her if she was having a bad day yesterday. :lmao:

Oh my word, those mini cheesecakes look amazing :cool1:

We are 100% stopping by on our road trip :goodvibes

Oh my word, those mini cheesecakes look amazing :cool1:

We are 100% stopping by on our road trip :goodvibes

Yay!!! :cool1: Just let me know when you are on your way. :drive:

Oh, and FYI...they are closed on Sundays and Tuesdays. :worried: But all of the other days they open at 7:30 or 8:00 a.m. So you could even have cheesecake for breakfast! I'm pretty sure that's allowed when you are on vacation. ::yes:: Now I'll just have to figure out my excuse. :scratchin
:rotfl:

Smile4stamps: If you've been to Cafe Orleans then I'm sure you tried/seen/smelled the pomme frites - ahhh mazing! (Garlic/parmesean fries with cajun dipping sauce. The smell alone can stop me in my tracks when I walk by there! ;)

I have had the Pomme Frites but unfortunately we must have gotten an old batch as they were just kinda Meh... I hope to try them again sometime! Those with the Monte Cristo are like Fried overload! But that Monte Cristo is just SO GOOD!

c65094c0-1.jpg

"That's So Sweet" Mini-Cheesecakes (Lexington, Illinois)

Flavors: Chocolate topped with a Strawberry, Lemon topped with Blueberries, White chocolate topped with Raspberries, Nutter-Butter, Turtle, and Key Lime.
(I think that's right?)​

Oh my goodness, if ever I needed an additional reason to 'do' Route 66, there you have it :worship: I luuuuurrrrrrrve cheesecake :worship:

Really great reviews, thanks for sharing

:welcome: Yay, another new reader!!! Thanks so much for joining in, Lisa! :wave2:

I promise I will get back to my reviews very shortly. I'm working on the next one right now. Oh, and you may even see some cupcakes somewhere down the line. ;)

Oh my goodness, if ever I needed an additional reason to 'do' Route 66, there you have it :worship: I luuuuurrrrrrrve cheesecake :worship:

Just let me know when you're coming, Joh! :thumbsup2

Yes the Blue Bayou is still in the POTC ride! *I haven't dined there but I have had the Monte Cristo at Cafe Orleans (they share a kitchen!) and YUM!! *I've had it 2... maybe even 3 times!! LOVE it!! I have a ton of DL dining reviews in my Birthday DL TR if you are ever bored and want to read about DL food!

Sounds like something fun to do this weekend...as soon as I finish my next update. ;)

Thanks, Paula! :)

I have had the Pomme Frites but unfortunately we must have gotten an old batch as they were just kinda Meh... I hope to try them again sometime! Those with the Monte Cristo are like Fried overload! But that Monte Cristo is just SO GOOD!

First of all, I must confess that I read your Disneyland Trip Report this morning, Paula. (Yes, I lied...I didn't wait until after I had written my next update. :guilty:) I really enjoyed reading about all the new things they have now, like the Aladdin show and the Little Mermaid ride. And I was happy to see that Goofy's Kitchen is still around, as I have some fond memories of our family dinner there. But I didn't see the Monte Cristo that I loved or the Pomme Frites that you and Brenda have been talking about, so I just had to find these. ;)

First the delicious sandwich that I had at the Disneyland Blue Bayou restaurant in 2002 (but apparently is now also available at Cafe Orleans) ...

montecristosandwich.jpg

Monte Cristo Sandwich - Ham, Turkey, & Swiss Cheese Sandwich covered with a thick batter and fried.
Then sprinkled with powdered sugar and served with currant jelly for dipping.

Ahhh...I remember it so well! :cloud9:

Then I had to see these (also from Disneyland's Cafe Orleans) ...

PommesFrites-Disneyland-1.jpg

Pommes Frites with Cajun Remoulade

And I must say that these look quite yummy as well! :thumbsup2

Okay, now back to Disney World food and the task at hand...my next update! ;)

THAT

Monte Cristo Sandwich - Ham, Turkey, & Swiss Cheese Sandwich covered with a thick batter and fried.
Then sprinkled with powdered sugar and served with currant jelly for dipping.

is a heart attack on a plate. And I want one. NOW. With a side of those fries and you can keep your nasty Cajun Remoulade - I'll eat them with all their cheesy garlic-y goodness intact.

It's bad enough that I'm looking at food at WDW that I might not get to eat for nearly another year. Now I'm looking at food at DL where I'll probably never go..........

Allright... I knew it was in there!!

Here is the link to my Cafe Orleans Review!!!

And to the previous poster... Yes... It is a Heart Attack on a plate but a delicious one!!! Most people can only handle 1/4 of it but my lead stomach can eat a whole one unless I have another side and then not quite as much!!

THAT is a heart attack on a plate. And I want one. NOW. With a side of those fries and you can keep your nasty Cajun Remoulade - I'll eat them with all their cheesy garlic-y goodness intact.

It's bad enough that I'm looking at food at WDW that I might not get to eat for nearly another year. Now I'm looking at food at DL where I'll probably never go..........

Sorry about the detour to Disneyland, but I promise to get back to Disney World food with an update yet tonight. As for the Monte Cristo, yes it is probably a heart attack on a plate but maybe it wouldn't be such a bad way to go??? :lmao:

Anyway, thanks for joining in and taking the time to post a comment. :thumbsup2

Allright... I knew it was in there!!

Here is the link to my Cafe Orleans Review!!!

And to the previous poster... Yes... It is a Heart Attack on a plate but a delicious one!!! Most people can only handle 1/4 of it but my lead stomach can eat a whole one unless I have another side and then not quite as much!!

Thank you Paula! :worship: I loved your review of Cafe Orleans. So sorry I missed it the first time around. That is sooooo cool that you got to meet and take a picture with Dot Jones from Glee. She seems like a nice lady, and I love her character on the show. :goodvibes

Oh, and I forgot to mention your Mickey-shaped Birthday Beignet. Did it taste as good as it looks, 'cause it looks really good. ;)

SAN ANGEL INN: A RETROSPECTIVE​

My very first visit to Disney World was in 1984 when I went there with my DH (actually we were not yet married, but newly engaged then :hug:). I recall entering Epcot Future World for the first time and discovering the kiosks where dining reservations could be made for meals to be eaten that very same day. Ahhhh yes, those were the days when you didn’t have to choose where you wanted to dine six months in advance. ;) Does anyone remember those days? But then again, the planning (especially the dining) is half the fun of a Disney trip…at least for me it is. :thumbsup2 Anyway, we chose to dine that day at the Mexican restaurant, San Angel Inn. So being our first meal at Disney World, San Angel Inn will always have a special place in my heart. :lovestruc

Then when we started taking family trips 12 years ago, we almost always included SAI in our dining plans. It became a family favorite, but not really because of the food (which was okay, but certainly nothing special...just all the usual stuff like tacos, nachos, taco salads, frozen strawberry margaritas, etc. that you can easily find at your local Mexican restaurant). And since I'm feeling in a rather nostalgic mood today, I'm going to pull out a few pics from trips past.

Scan0003-1.jpg

Our First Family Meal at San Angel Inn - July 2001
Pictured: DD1, DD2, My Niece, DS, and Me (Barb)

My standard meal at San Angel Inn was almost always...

SAI01.jpg

Tacos Al Carbon with grilled chicken, peppers, onions, and guacamole

-and-

IMG_4018.jpg

Frozen Strawberry Margarita

So yes, as I said before, the food here was fine for the most part but San Angel Inn was a family favorite more for sentimental reasons (for DH and I) and for the cool atmosphere of the restaurant. ;)

Oh, and DD1 always loved to celebrate her birthday here, 'cause the "Happy Birthday" song always seemed more fun when it was sung in Spanish. :thumbsup2

100_3165.jpg

"Feliz cumpleaños a ti"

100_3164.jpg

:bday: Plus she has always liked fried ice cream better than cupcakes for a birthday treat. :thumbsup2

However things began to change at San Angel Inn, which we first noticed on our March 2010 trip. Their menu had been almost completely revised. Gone were the nachos, and instead they had delicious tostadas.

SanAngelInn6-2.jpg

Tostadas de Tinga - Pulled chicken seasoned with roasted tomato and chipotle, served on tostadas with black refried beans, green tomatillo sauce, queso fresco and sour cream.

My usual chicken tacos had been replaced by much more interesting and authentic Mexican entrees. And the entrees that did remain, like the Pollo a la Rayas, seemed to be greatly improved. :thumbsup2

PolloalaRayas-2007-1.jpg

Pollo A Las Rajas (DD2's meal from 2007, I believe?) - grilled chicken breast served over red peppers, onions, chile poblano, chorizo and melted cheese (that was the menu description but in truth it was a dry chicken breast over cheese soup).
This was not good. :sad2:

SanAngelInn8.jpg

Pollo a la Rajas (my meal from March 2010) - Slices of chicken breast, cream sauce, peppers, & onions.
Topped with queso fresco and accompanied by Arroz Verde (Green rice)
This was very good! :thumbsup2

And I had this very yummy dessert...

IMG_4022.jpg

Moras con Cajeta - frozen white chocolate mousse with mixed seasonal berries and Mexican milk caramel.

And so our whole meal, from appetizers to dessert, was delicious…one of the best of that March 2010 trip! ::yes::

But that wasn't the end of San Angel Inn's changes. ;)

With the addition of La Cava de Tequila next door later that year, came the delicious and more unusual new margarita flavors.

This included my favorite...

SanAngelInn4-1.jpg

Frozen Avocado Margarita

And then about a year ago, the dining room setting was changed from a bright multi-colored Mexican fiesta to a more elegant and subdued look with white tablecloths and pretty new china and navy blue glassware.

2159979561_2859b179921.jpg

The Old San Angel Inn

And a picture from our Nov. 2011 visit showing the new look of San Angel Inn...

SanAngelInn1.jpg

In summary, I believe that San Angel Inn has made some very positive changes in recent years. And so that brings me to this lunch in May, 2012. Would this new version of San Angel Inn again impress us or would this meal cause an Angel's Fall from Grace???

So please stay tuned for Part II, San Angel Inn: The May 2012 Review.

NEXT UP: Lunch at San Angel Inn

Lunch at San Angel Inn

Our reservation was for 11:30, the opening time of the restaurant. We checked in a few minutes early and I asked if we could be seated at a table next to the water. While we waited for them to start seating the guests, I took a quick picture of the Lunch menu posted out in front by the restaurant entrance.

b63876bd.jpg

Then I was very happy when my request to be seated by the water was granted. :)

Our view of the pyramid and smoking volcano on one side...

IMG_0999.jpg

Our view of the restaurant on the other side...

IMG_1019.jpg

DD1 and I started by ordering a margarita.

IMG_1009.jpg

th7-1-1-1.jpg
Avocado Margarita - El Mayor premium silver Tequila, melon liqueur, fresh avocado, agave nectar and fresh lime juice, served frozen with a hibiscus Himalayan salt rim.

wendy-1.jpg
Wild Passion Fruit Margarita - Familia Camarena premium silver Tequila, ginger liqueur, passion fruit, mango nectar and fresh lime juice, topped with fruit foam, served on the rocks with a hibiscus Himalayan salt rim.

I of course had the Avocado one (on the right) and it was again delicious...sweet and fruity, just as I like my margaritas! And in case you have never tasted this, it tastes nothing like avocados, IMHO. To me, it actually kind of tastes like bananas??? I know that sounds rather odd...a green colored drink that tastes like bananas, but I highly recommend it!

DD2 has a goal to try all of their different margarita flavors, so she ordered one that she had never had (this was #5). She gave the Wild Passion Fruit Margarita a "Good" rating, but it wasn't her favorite. So which is her favorite so far?

IMG_4965.jpg

The Classic Margarita with El Mayor premium silver Tequila, orange liqueur, agave nectar and fresh lime juice, served on the rocks

She had this at La Cava on her last trip. I thought it was kind of boring, but she really enjoyed it.

Okay, how about some food now??? :lmao:

SanAngelInn5.jpg

Complimentary Chips & Salsa

Just like on my last visit to SAI in November, I again did not like the salsa that is served with the chips. It has a very smokey, barbecue flavor that I (and the girls) did not care for.

So we ended up getting this...

IMG_1008.jpg

wendy-1.jpg
Guacamole - Avocado, cilantro, chile serrano and lime juice served with flour chicharrones & Valentina sauce - $6

We all enjoyed the guacamole with both the chips and the chicharrones that came with it and gave it a rating of "Good".

As an additional appetizer we had to order these...

IMG_1011.jpg

clippetersitting-1.jpg
Tostadas de Tinga -Pulled chicken seasoned with roasted tomato and chipotle, served on tostadas with black refried beans, green tomatillo sauce, queso fresco and sour cream.

I really love these and could have easily eaten all three and called it a meal, but the girls really like them too. Darn it! :p I gave the tostadas an "Excellent" rating and the girls gave them a "Very Good".

DD1 and I decided to share this entree...

IMG_1012.jpg

clippetersitting-1.jpg
Enchiladas Verdes de Pollo - Corn tortillas filled with pulled chicken, covered with green tomatillo sauce, topped with sour cream, queso fresco and onions, served with rice and black refried beans.

We both enjoyed these very much and gave them a "Very Good" rating. Oh, and the rice and refried beans were pretty good as well.

DD2 ordered the Chef Recommended Entree...

IMG_1014.jpg

wendy-1.jpg
Lomo de Puerco en Pipián - Pork tenderloin served over roasted vegetables and "pipián" (pumpkin, chiles and almond sauce).

I was a little surprised when she ordered this, as it seemed a little bit outside of her comfort zone. She thought the pork was very good, but wasn't real wild about the "nutty" taste of the sauce so gave this an overall rating of "Good". And for the record, she does not like nuts...of any kind. :crazy2:

Nothing really appealed to us from the dessert menu (sadly, they no longer have the Moras con Cajeta) so we decided to go to the French bakery to satisfy our sweet tooth. But somehow, and I really can't remember how :confused3, we got side-tracked and never made it to Boulangerie Patisserie...not that day or any other day of our trip. :sad: This was one of only a very few regrets that I have from this trip. I didn't get to have one of my favorite Disney snacks...

Desserts2.jpg

The Incredibly Delicious Napoleon from the French Bakery

So our overall rating for our meal at San Angel Inn was:
clippetersitting-1.jpg
Very Good

San Angel Inn remains one of our favorite Epcot restaurants, behind only Le Cellier.

And well, maybe Teppan Edo too.

So it is our 3rd favorite Epcot restaurant, I think.

Yes, definitely third.

For now. :rotfl:

NEXT UP: Dinner at Jiko

Yes! I've been waiting to see another San Angel Inn review. Didn't make it there on the last trip, although I've wanted to try it for a while now (after hearing about some of their positive changes). Can't wait to see your updated review of it. :)

What a great back story for your experiences with SAI! And I love the huge smiley face on DD1's face in the bday photo!

I've never dined there but cancelled a few ADRs at this place! Depending on your review I may have to actually follow through and dine there some day!

I went to Epcot the first time in 1984 as well.... December 1984 to be exact when my oldest was nearly 2 years old. :)

I can't wait for your review. ::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter