Fireworks - where to be?

PrincessShmoo

DIS veteran
We're planning on seeing the fireworks soon. We're local so it's no problem about "wasting" time just taking our place and sitting for a while. Is there somewhere that is likely to be able to see (at least some) of the Main Street projections, as well as the Matterhorn and castle?

Second question - are there benches any where near that location (if there is one)?

My guess is that your best bet is to be right somewhere in the area where the straight part of Main Street meets up with the Hub. I know I watched from the end of Main Street (about parallel to the Camera Shop & Coke Corner) and the last tree on the right gets in the way of seeing the Matterhorn. It's a good view of Main Street and the Castle, but you can't see the Matterhorn from there. So I would move forward, closer to the Hub/Partner's Statue. I've also watched from the right side of the hub (a little north of the Partner's Statue, on the to Tomorrowland side of the hub) and while it's a good view of Matterhorn and the Castle, you can't see Main Street very well.

I have always liked the Main Street Train Station platform, at the top of the stairs. Alas, the area has been converted to mainly "reserved" spaces for those buying tours (especially the benches), but still a nice long term view above most guests.

Town Square has benches and a ground view of the area, but very popular.

And then you have the Central Plaza (aka Hub)area that has benches, but you are looking at a long wait. So that is the preferred area, but the longest wait.

One "secret" area that is known by some regulars, but is only good for higher level fireworks, and that is the Paradise Pier Hotel pool deck (north edge). It is open to the public, and the soundtrack is piped in by Disney to match the show. So free, but no good view of the projections.

And as a local that gets to hear the show every night offered (live about 3 miles away), and see them on occasion from outside the parks.

When I have needed to stay with guests, I have found the HoJo's hot tub as a great place for the higher views, no music (well very lightly) but lots of hot water surrounding you. But that is only for HoJo's guests.

...are there benches any where near that location (if there is one)?
No view of the Main Street projections, but an excellent view of the Castle and Matterhorn:
Grab a bench on the Castle side of the Hub, just right (East) of center.

So I would move forward, closer to the Hub/Partner's Statue.

nd then you have the Central Plaza (aka Hub)area that has benches,

Are you talking about being around the outside of the hub? or more toward the center of the hub (closer to the partners statue?

And how long a wait would you say if we try for those benches?

I guess the followup question would be - which projections to miss (because apparently you can't see them all) - Castle, Matterhorn, or Main Street?

To be honest, I've never tried watching it from one of the benches. They're always taken up well before the fireworks show starts because of guests waiting to see Paint the Night. I would guess you need to start looking for the bench at least 2 to 3 hours before PtN is slated to start. Also note, the CMs do move benches around, but I don't know which ones they move.

When are you going, aka which specific show are you planning to see, as Disney rotates the shows to match the season.

And each show has a different soundtrack and special effects.

For example, at Christmas time, I want to be in the center part of Main Street, mianly for the snow effect and special lighting.

Are you talking about being around the outside of the hub? or more toward the center of the hub (closer to the partners statue?

And how long a wait would you say if we try for those benches?
The benches are on the outside of the Hub.
The East/West "spokes" and center of the Hub are kept open as a walkway. The North and South spokes are VIP seating (VIP Tours and invited guests).

I've never waited for one of those benches, but likely several hours.

The benches are on the outside of the Hub.
The East/West "spokes" and center of the Hub are kept open as a walkway. The North and South spokes are VIP seating (VIP Tours and invited guests).

I've never waited for one of those benches, but likely several hours.
Would you think it would be the same for the bench on the side of the castle?

Just to make sure, but you're asking about seeing Disneyland Forever, right?

I'm not sure which benches you're asking about, but remember that Paint the Night runs before fireworks, so any spots along the parade route are going to fill up very early with guests wanting to see the parade. If you're viewing the fireworks from the side of the castle, you might have a good view of the Matterhorn (you might actually be a bit too close), but you won't have a very good view of Main Street or the castle itself.

The Disney Tourist Blog has a map in his post about Disneyland Forever viewing locations. For the most part I agree with the map, but it's worth noting that with the foliage in full bloom right now, not all spots within the same general area are equal. You'll need to move around a bit to figure out where you can see things without trees getting in the way.
http://www.disneytouristblog.com/disneyland-fireworks-best-views/

Just to make sure, but you're asking about seeing Disneyland Forever, right?

I'm not sure which benches you're asking about, but remember that Paint the Night runs before fireworks, so any spots along the parade route are going to fill up very early with guests wanting to see the parade. If you're viewing the fireworks from the side of the castle, you might have a good view of the Matterhorn (you might actually be a bit too close), but you won't have a very good view of Main Street or the castle itself.

The Disney Tourist Blog has a map in his post about Disneyland Forever viewing locations. For the most part I agree with the map, but it's worth noting that with the foliage in full bloom right now, not all spots within the same general area are equal. You'll need to move around a bit to figure out where you can see things without trees getting in the way.
http://www.disneytouristblog.com/disneyland-fireworks-best-views/
Yes, Disneyland Forever.

Thanks everyone.

I like the view from the It's A Small Workd area. There is that standing area that stretches all the way to Alice and the atea cups where you can see Paint the Night and then the fireworks. The project the castle projection onto It's a Small World. The only difference is you have to turn around to see the Matterhorn stuff.

I've never watched Disneyland Forever from It's a Small World. Out of curiosity, do they have the inflatable sea plants appear somewhere in the area or is that element unique to Main Street?

We just watched last week from the curb right in front of the Train Station steps, center of the station. We were there 2 hours early and a CM told us that's a good spot to watch, so we did. We had a great view of the fireworks and could see the castle change colors. Not sure we could really see the matterhorn though. If you do choose to sit at that end, be sure you are centered, as just to the left and right are big trees.Even as the street filled in after the parade to watch the fireworks, we could still see well. Bonus was that right after the fireworks we could easily leave the park without dealing with the crowds on Main St. (They had the stairs and upper decking of the Train Station blocked off for reserved seating).

I'm not sure what you are asking.

This is the location I was suggesting:
(red circle)
View attachment 189525
The view from that area:
(shot with iPhone, not zoomed or cropped)
View attachment 189526
I see. I thought you were talking about a bench on the castle side of the street.

I'm thinking that we'll just be there a couple of hours early, and see what presents itself as the "best" available at the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter