Fireworks Viewing... TOWL or Wishes Dessert party?

disneyfan2kids

DisneyFan3Kids now, but I can't change my name.
Would like to add something "different" to next trip. We love wishes...but will not line up hours ahead of time to scope a prime spot to watch. So we end up watching from wherever we happen to be at that time. Next trip... I'd like to have a bit more "private" (Read: not chaotic) space to watch and enjoy wishes. I'm willing to pay. I am considering both TOWL (no issue with heading over to Contemporary... we'd even make it more of a "relaxation" time by ordering pizzas or dessert. OR I'd also be ok with spending $$ and booking Wishes Dessert Party. The prime viewing would be great...and a bit more private. My kids would LOVE the desserts... me and DH would pick at desserts.

So...which is more worthwhile? Has anyone done both and has an opinion? Do I book Wishes Dessert party and fork over the $100+ dollars...when desserts aren't that big a deal? Or do I simply leave MK.. venture to TOWL for a more intimate viewing (and maybe a dessert or 2?) and view from there? Really...all I care about is being able to watch wishes, somewhat peacefully... without fighting with a random guy standing in front of my kid at the last second... holding his crying kid on his shoulders... invading my space.. yelling at his other kids...and holding his iPad way up high to video the entire thing.. while his stroller wheels rest on my feet. You get my drift.. Thoughts?:confused3

I did the dessert party and it was nice but not great. It isn't the best view but at least you aren't in a crowd. The desserts are just ok.

I am not sure that I would consider either of your choices truly private. I don't have experience with the dessert party but crowding around the edge is one of the complaints I have heard. TOTWL is a place I am familiar with as DH and I head up regularly. I don't know the age of your children but if they are younger they will need to be held up or be standing on the benches in order to see the castle. Also the lights at the base of the wall stay on. The number of people there just depends on who comes.

I am not sure that I would consider either of your choices truly private. I don't have experience with the dessert party but crowding around the edge is one of the complaints I have heard. TOTWL is a place I am familiar with as DH and I head up regularly. I don't know the age of your children but if they are younger they will need to be held up or be standing on the benches in order to see the castle. Also the lights at the base of the wall stay on. The number of people there just depends on who comes.

Kids will be 12 and 8... totally capable of "seeing" over the 4 ft wall. Thoughts?

We thought the dessert party was loads of fun. The desserts were very good. Tinkerbell flew right over the viewing area and it was a good place to watch the fireworks.

Now every one will move towards the edge of the wall to see the fireworks better, so if you have a table in the front, people will be standing in front of you. So you stand to watch the fireworks. But, make sure you get all the desserts you want. At the end, more than likely there will still be some left over that you can still eat after the fireworks. Beverages are lemonade, tea, water, coffee.

But the very best spot we thought to watch fireworks was in New Fantasyland. We were in the Little Mermaid ride when the fireworks started one night. We were off the ride in less than a minute later and walked out to watch them. They were a 360 degree view of the fireworks. Best part? It really wasn't crowded.

It's a different perspective of the fireworks from TOTW, and I would do that before paying for the desserts party. We've done the Wishes Dessert Party twice and thought the desserts were very good. We've also done the Pirates & Pals dessert and Fireworks cruise. I like seeing Wishes from the boat the best, second from TOTW and my the view from the Dessert Party in Tomorrowland the least of the three. Still, we liked it enough to do it twice!

Would like to add something "different" to next trip. We love wishes...but will not line up hours ahead of time to scope a prime spot to watch. So we end up watching from wherever we happen to be at that time. Next trip... I'd like to have a bit more "private" (Read: not chaotic) space to watch and enjoy wishes. I'm willing to pay. I am considering both TOWL (no issue with heading over to Contemporary... we'd even make it more of a "relaxation" time by ordering pizzas or dessert. OR I'd also be ok with spending $$ and booking Wishes Dessert Party. The prime viewing would be great...and a bit more private. My kids would LOVE the desserts... me and DH would pick at desserts.

So...which is more worthwhile? Has anyone done both and has an opinion? Do I book Wishes Dessert party and fork over the $100+ dollars...when desserts aren't that big a deal? Or do I simply leave MK.. venture to TOWL for a more intimate viewing (and maybe a dessert or 2?) and view from there? Really...all I care about is being able to watch wishes, somewhat peacefully... without fighting with a random guy standing in front of my kid at the last second... holding his crying kid on his shoulders... invading my space.. yelling at his other kids...and holding his iPad way up high to video the entire thing.. while his stroller wheels rest on my feet. You get my drift.. Thoughts?:confused3

I have done both. I would NEVER do the dessert party again. We grabbed several desserts and had barely started eating, not knowing we would have to get up and go to the front to actually see Wishes. We did get up, leaving our bags, etc. at the table, and came back afterwards to find our table completely cleared. The view was okay (more off to the side, but close) but I wouldn't pay that much again to have a bite or 2 of dessert and an okay view.

We gone up to ToTWL many times. We like to get up there about an hour early and have a few drinks, and sometimes share a flatbread or some desserts - just keep in mind that the menu is very limited. I don't think I've ever spent more than about $50, so a better deal than the dessert party as far as I'm concerned. My kids are a little older than yours, 15 and 12 now, and they like ToTWL. My experience for the most part is that the lounge will gradually fill up in that hour prior, and then there is usually an influx of folks in the last 15-20 minutes that only go out on the viewing deck. We were there last week and I would say they were about 100 people out on the deck by the time Wishes started - and it's a good sized space. I have a major aversion to crowds, but this wasn't bad at all. Your comment about personal space leads me to believe we have similar feelings about crowds, so I think you would really enjoy watching from ToTWL. It's also very nice not dealing with the crowds on Main Street and lines for the monorail AFTER the fireworks end.

If you really want to splurge, you might look into one of the private Wishes cruises. We did that once for a special occasion and it was by far my favorite way to watch Wishes. But very pricey unless you can find someone to share the cruise with.

I I think it sounds like a wishes fireworks cruise maybe what you're looking for.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

TOWL is really one of my favorite spots at DW... I have little ones and they loved getting mocktails... They play the wishes music and it is pleasantly busy and not crowded at all and I went over spring break... We hope that they leave access open to all dvc members staying at a dvc resort otherwise we may have to buy some blt points :).

Wishes fireworks cruise prices are a bit too steep for me...so I think I may head over to TOWL. Sounds like it may be what we're looking for. I don't need private... just not chaotic :scared:

Now, how does this work with DVC? We're going NYE thru the 6th of January...staying at SSR. I wouldn't dare venture up to TOWL for NYE (and I'm assuming there are blackout dates anyway).. but for other nights during that week I may pick a Wishes night and head over. Do I simply go to BLT regular entrance and show my DVC card and my KTTW card?

Sorry... I know it's a perk I should know how to use...but never did this before..LOL.

Are there actual tables there? To eat on I mean. Is it a large place/small place/chairs/benches/etc. Is it "appropriate" for 12yo and 8yo (well-behaved and way too frightened of their mother to act up...LOL)

Are there actual "reviews" for TOWL, or is it simply a lounge that happens to have a few food items?:confused3

Wishes fireworks cruise prices are a bit too steep for me...so I think I may head over to TOWL. Sounds like it may be what we're looking for. I don't need private... just not chaotic :scared:

Now, how does this work with DVC? We're going NYE thru the 6th of January...staying at SSR. I wouldn't dare venture up to TOWL for NYE (and I'm assuming there are blackout dates anyway).. but for other nights during that week I may pick a Wishes night and head over. Do I simply go to BLT regular entrance and show my DVC card and my KTTW card?

Sorry... I know it's a perk I should know how to use...but never did this before..LOL.

Are there actual tables there? To eat on I mean. Is it a large place/small place/chairs/benches/etc. Is it "appropriate" for 12yo and 8yo (well-behaved and way too frightened of their mother to act up...LOL)

Are there actual "reviews" for TOWL, or is it simply a lounge that happens to have a few food items?:confused3

They have a variety of tables and table areas- they have a few hightops with chairs, a couple of areas that are more like couches/chairs around a coffee table and a few regular tables and chairs as well as the bar for seating. I have seen children of all ages there and as long as the parents were not allowing them to leap around the furniture and run through others conversations they seemed just fine (we have been with friends with well behaved children and it sounds like yours would be fine). It is really a bar with a few appetizers and desserts (they don't have a full kitchen). There 7 layer chocolate cake will feed a whole family and it amazing. We enjoy a flatbread for a light dinner at times(we each get our own for a dinner).

As far as timing- NYE is blacked out but after that you just walk from the MK to BLT and show your card at the door and will be allowed up to the lounge.

WHOA!

Did I miss something major? Can you now access TOWL even if you are not staying at BLT?

+1 for viewing from the new Fantasyland. We coincidentally timed coming out of Beauty and the Beast just before the fireworks and watched from the bridge. It was awesome. Fireworks over two castles.

I know TOWL was added as a perk for all DVCers, with caveats, for 2013. Not sure if it will be still be avail in 2014. It's a good spot to view. Even the corner windows on each floor are good. If you haven't done it, try it.

The lounge itself has seating areas/tables. That said, you really do need to go out to the deck as people will be standing in front of the lounge between you and the view. On the deck, there are a couple of benches away from the viewing wall. Again, people will be in front of you.

The menu options seem to have been cut back from its' opening days. But, a good spot for a relaxing beverage and an appetizer. We liked it the last time we were there.

As far as people go, it's the same people that are in the parks. ;)

From the member website:
Top of the World Lounge is located at Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort.

Disney Vacation Club Members staying at any Disney-owned-and-operated hotel at Walt Disney World Resort (whether they booked with vacation points or cash) may enjoy access to one of the vacation kingdom's most exclusive spaces: the Top of the World Lounge atop Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort through December 29, 2013 (blockout dates in 2013 are July 3 and 4, and December 30 and 31). Current operating hours are 6 p.m. to midnight.

This perk is available exclusively to Members and those in their traveling party who are staying on that Member's reservation. At least one Member in the traveling party must accompany the group and present his or her current Key to the World card displaying a Disney Vacation Club Membership notation in order to gain admission to the lounge. If the Member's Key to the World card doesn't display a Membership notation, a Disney Vacation Club Member ID is required in addition to the Key to the World card to verify Membership.

Note that Members traveling from other Resorts must use Walt Disney World Transportation, as parking is unavailable to anyone not staying at Bay Lake Tower or Disney's Contemporary Resort. Upon arrival, Members must walk to the Bay Lake Tower main lobby entrance on the ground floor and check in at the Top of the World Lounge desk in the lobby.

This special Top of the World Lounge access is available on a first-come, first-served basis until the lounge reaches capacity. As the lounge is particularly popular during the Magic Kingdom fireworks, arriving as early as possible will give Members the best chance of gaining admission.

But if you read the notification, it only has through Dec 29. 2013. Nothing about 2014 yet.

There's nothing like seeing the fireworks from their optimal viewing position, where they appear to be right over the castle. If you're not standing on Main Street, a Wishes Cruise is a great option. Nice cushioned seats with free beverages and snacks, and a great tour of the lagoon before the show starts. It was a very relaxing way to view the show. Everyone should do this at least once.

The dessert party is also very fun. Assigned tables, so there's no worrying about having to get there early to stake something out. Plenty of room at the wall to see when the show starts. And although the fireworks aren't over the castle from this angle, there's still a really good view of them. The desserts were ok, but after a hot day in the park, the iced tea was a real blessing. (Just don't make the mistake we made -- getting caught on the wrong side of the street when they closed it for the Main Street Electrical Parade.) Again, this is something everyone should try at least once.

Viewing for the top of one of the Contemporary buildings is a nice, relaxing way to view Wishes also -- especially with a nice drink in hand. For us, though, it's a supplement to having seen the show from in the park, not a substitution.

Having just returned from our first stay in a Magic Kingdom view room at Bay Lake Tower, that's also a fantastic way to view them. I never thought it would be worth it to pay the extra points for this view, as we've always been happy with a lake view in the past. However, it's going to be very difficult to go back after having experienced the convenience of watching the fireworks in your pajamas.

I'm a touch crowd-phobic, so I love fireworks but like privacy as well. One option you haven't mentioned is the California Grill. Could go for desserts for the kids, and share a sushi roll for you and DH (if you could get a reservation this late). The views from there are wonderful, and not crowded (especially on the "back" viewing area), similar to TOTWL and your kids could get sweets, and you can keep it pretty reasonable compared to the dessert party. DH & I did this and thought it was fun.

As far as the Wishes boat (which would be my first choice and others have recommended) ... one way to make it cheaper is to share the pontoon with other DISsers. There's a thread in the TPAS Community board dedicated to people who have booked/are looking to share a cruise on a particular night. I've booked the IllumiNations cruise twice and had no problem filling them with another party so that our portion was pretty reasonable ($33/person, cheaper than the dessert party I think) several months out. Its still not crowded, since 10 people sitting down is very calm, and the boat drivers are generally pretty cool and have lots of neat info to share.

We saw the 4th of July fireworks spectacular @ TOTWL. It was that week not on the actual 4th so not blacked out. We LOVED it. My DS 7 has some auditory sensitivity & we all LOVED the show. Quiet, not crowded, air conditioned (hot, humid FL summers). Great view & music from show played in lounge.

From the member website:

But if you read the notification, it only has through Dec 29. 2013. Nothing about 2014 yet.

So does this mean that TotW isn't actually part of DVC and it's possible that even members owning at BLT wouldn't have access to it?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter