• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fireworks -super loud for baby?

valerie160

Mouseketeer
So after the fourth of July fireworks last night and how extremely frightened my ds (1 years old) was of them, it got me thinking of what to expect for the Disneyland forever fireworks. Yesterday we were able to just walk home because they were too loud for him, but obviously that won't be the case at DL. I'm hoping to be able to watch on main street...but are they super loud/scary for babies/toddlers? I have noise canceling headphones I used on him at wishes at WDW when he was younger and that worked fine then because he couldn't remove them. Now that he's older its a different story so any help/insight as to noise level would be appreciated. Thanks!

Can you just skip fireworks? I would use that time to go on attractions or get something to eat if they're too scary. When we went in December my daughter was 17 months and wouldn't keep the noise canceling headphones so we just skipped fireworks. She did fine at parades.

If you are a babywearer or would like to become one, using something like an Ergo with the head support thing could be helpful. Front carry (facing you of course, as is the only way to use the Ergo with a front carry and should only ever happen no matter what carrier you use), put the head support over baby's head, maybe have a blanket to put around his ears? DS was just itty bitty for his first July fireworks and he was in the sling all cozy against me with one ear and I covered his other ear through the sling fabric. The next year, he was just over 1, and he covered his OWN ears because he could tell the difference between ears covered and uncovered. He has always liked the Disney fireworks, though we didn't see them until after his second July experience.

But...if you have to skip it, that's just part of it when bringing a bitty one. Sometimes you have to leave.

If your baby was scared on the 4th, he's likely to be scared at Disneyland. Fireworks are fireworks, IMO in terms of noise. Yes, Disneyland has great music accompanying them, but it does not drown out the sound.
The suggestions of noise canceling headphones and using a carrier could help!

That's what I figured. He's too big/mobile for a carrier so it seems like unless he keeps his headphones on, we'll be missing the fireworks :sad:

When ds was 2 he slept right through the fireworks so you never know. We didn't actually "watch" them though. We kind of hung out away from the madness.

And i just want to add, a one year old is NOT too big for a carrier! I wore ds on my back this year and he's 4 yrs old now. But I'm one of those crazy babywearing moms who is convinced babywearing makes my life easier even when they are older :)

We've always used noise cancelling headphones since my DD was 5 months old, she's always loved watching them but we still use the headphones now at 4 1/2 yrs old. I think my cousin got a pair on Amazon for $10!

I'm not sure which hotel you're staying at, but I've found that for my little kids, we do okay watching the fireworks from a hotel with a view, but up close they're too loud. So, that may be an option for you. It's not quite as immersive, but you still get a decent view of the larger fireworks from many hotels in the area.

My son is 3 1/2 and has sensitive ears. I bought ear protection for him this year. It was a last minute thought, so I had to get him womans size ear muffs that are worn when firing at a gun range, but they worked wonders! If you just google ear muffs for kids/babies you should find them. Totally worth it in my opinion to protect hearing.

We actually found the fireworks to be louder a mile away (where we were staying) than on main street in front of the castle. My daughter held her hands over her ears and complained about the noise so we got ear plugs figuring that when we watched them in the park they would be unbearable for her. She didn't even need them.
I would bring the headphones you have and see if he'll leave them on. But I wouldn't worry about it too much if he won't.

Our little one slept soundly through the fireworks for the first 3 years. Guess we're just lucky that they don't bother her.

[QUOTE="corinne76, post: 53979554, member: 528108"

And i just want to add, a one year old is NOT too big for a carrier! I wore ds on my back this year and he's 4 yrs old now. But I'm one of those crazy babywearing moms who is convinced babywearing makes my life easier even when they are older :)[/QUOTE]

Do you have one your recommend? He is 22 months now. I have the Boba, but goodness he hates it!

My teenage daughter is very sensitive to loud noises so we just skip fireworks now, her discomfort/reaction is not worth experiencing the show.

Do you have one your recommend? He is 22 months now. I have the Boba, but goodness he hates it!

We still have a Kinderpack, which is a structured carrier much like a Boba. For me, both the kinder and Boba tend to have deep seats, which holds the baby not as tightly to your body as some other structured carriers tend to. If he's not liking being confined (which can be common around this age I think) then maybe just practice and get him used to it.
Ds went through a short no carry phase too but he's such a cuddler that he loved being worn most of the time. On our 2013 trip I front carried him and nursed him to sleep in a carrier and he was 28 months.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter