Fireworks -places to watch?

hsmamato2

<font color=magenta>Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad
Ok Let me preface by saying that we are WDW vets...and while there, we like to find 'out of the way' places to watch the shows if possible,to avoid crowds,etc. We tend to go to back of park for parades,etc... we love fireworks from out back behind he old toontown area....anyway having only been to DL one time I need advice about places that work to watch any parades/shows that might be playing while we're there. Daytime parades,possibly PTN, fireworks.... I want to avoid the 'Main street crush' which I keep reading here is even worse than WDW at showtime- please please share any advice on good places to watch-thanks! (For DCA we booked a dessert party to help avoid this at WOC)

There aren't as many alternate places to watch fireworks and parades at DL as there at the MK.

For parades, the alternate spot is by Small World. This would be the equivalent of watching in Frontierland in the MK.

For fireworks, it really depends on whether you need to see the castle. I'm sure you know they have a much smaller castle at DL, and there are more trees in the hub, so castle fireworks viewing is much more limited and hard to get last minute. Couple that with the large base of locals who visit and are willing to camp out for extended periods of time for spots.

If you don't care about the castle, Small World is a good spot. And with Fantasmic dark, the Rivers of America can be a good place to watch as well.

And as a WDW visitor, this will blow your mind. People spread out entire blankets hours in advance to save spots for their group. Some don't even leave a person to attend their blanket. I have heard rumors of CMs finally starting to pick those up, but that seems really hit or miss.

Last edited:
There aren't as many alternate places to watch fireworks and parades at DL as there at the MK.

For parades, the alternate spot is by Small World. This would be the equivalent of watching in Frontierland in the MK.

For fireworks, it really depends on whether you need to see the castle. I'm sure you know they have a much smaller castle at DL, and there are more trees in the hub, so castle fireworks viewing is much more limited and hard to get last minute. Couple that with the large base of locals who visit and are willing to camp out for extended periods of time for spots.

If you don't care about the castle, Small World is a good spot. And with Fantasmic dark, the Rivers of America can be a good place to watch as well.

And as a WDW visitor, this will blow your mind. People spread out entire blankets hours in advance to save spots for stuff. Some don't even leave a person to attend their blanket. I have heard rumors of CMs finally starting to pick those up, but that seems really hit or miss.
Well, I for one haven't got room for a blanket in my suitcase!!

And as a WDW visitor, this will blow your mind. People spread out entire blankets hours in advance to save spots for their group. Some don't even leave a person to attend their blanket. I have heard rumors of CMs finally starting to pick those up, but that seems really hit or miss.

I'm going to be tempted to move those unattended blankets myself, but I will try to resist. Thanks for the warning, and for the info about Small World as the DL equivalent of watching the parade from Frontierland.

I'm going to be tempted to move those unattended blankets myself, but I will try to resist. Thanks for the warning, and for the info about Small World as the DL equivalent of watching the parade from Frontierland.

I know. I've been sorely tempted to move a blanket or two, but haven't had the guts to.

We love to watch the fireworks from Big Thunder. If you time it right, the view is spectacular from the ride, but the view is also great from the area near the exit. I also like to watch from around the river while the lights reflect off the water.

Thanks! That was exactly what I was looking for.... Small World for parades and BTRR Or Rivers for fireworks! when you says Rivers, do you mean a specific spot, or just anywhere along there? my only memory of the river is the landing for the big boat ride

Thanks! That was exactly what I was looking for.... Small World for parades and BTRR Or Rivers for fireworks! when you says Rivers, do you mean a specific spot, or just anywhere along there? my only memory of the river is the landing for the big boat ride

Anywhere along the river is fine. I've seen some photos recently of watching fireworks over the docked Mark Twain with BTMRR behind. It's a pretty composition with the fireworks reflected in the water.

But if I don't get to DL that often, and I'm there for the holiday fireworks, don't I want to be facing the castle?

But if I don't get to DL that often, and I'm there for the holiday fireworks, don't I want to be facing the castle?

There's the challenge. :)

I always end up investing huge amounts of time staking out a spot because fireworks without a castle are meaningless to me.

There's the challenge. :)

I always end up investing huge amounts of time staking out a spot because fireworks without a castle are meaningless to me.
Are there now projections on the castle too? And what about where to be to experience the "snow"? Isn't that before the fireworks? Decisions, decisions!! Making my head spin!!

Are there now projections on the castle too? And what about where to be to experience the "snow"? Isn't that before the fireworks? Decisions, decisions!! Making my head spin!!

No projections for Fantasy in the Sky. I don't think there are projections for the Christmas show either.

Snow is in the hub and on Main Street. Can't recall if they have it by Small World. They used to do it over by Fantasmic, but with the show dark, no idea if that will continue this year or not.

Going to hijack this thread a little since it's sort of the same topic, but does anyone have good places to view the parade with back support.

My last trip I literally camped out a little past Starbucks against a lamp post for three or four hours waiting for PTN... I chose a lamp post that wasn't in a crazy crowded location and that was strategically located next to a trash can so guests could only sit to my left.

It was a perfect spot but last minute people tried to squeeze in and I had an annoying little girl who kept trying to grab the pole behind my head. She had sticky hands and it was very rude. Normally I would ignore a child but her parents were equally annoying snapping photos with a blinding flash, and talking very loudly... It did not ruin PTN by any means tho so if given the choice I would try that spot again...

So my question again is there a spot with back support that would be better? I'm going solo, so I don't mind camping out. I thought about the benches in Main Street and near the castle but didn't know if people would block or if last minute rude people would try to boot me out or sit at an arm rest.

How far back will we be if we are heading to main street at around 8.30pm - 9 pm?

No projections for Fantasy in the Sky. I don't think there are projections for the Christmas show either.

Snow is in the hub and on Main Street. Can't recall if they have it by Small World. They used to do it over by Fantasmic, but with the show dark, no idea if that will continue this year or not.
Thx for the comments. I was planning on trying to be in front of the castle but if there are no projections, I'll be less concerned.

Thx for the comments. I was planning on trying to be in front of the castle but if there are no projections, I'll be less concerned.

The interesting twist with DL is that if you invest the time to be right in front of the castle, you aren't on the parade route. The parade route goes from Small World toward the hub, then turns down Main Street but doesn't pass in front of the castle (like it does at WDW). So spots with a good view of both are really limited.

Snow is in the hub and on Main Street. Can't recall if they have it by Small World.

I know that they definitely can do snow at Small World, because the first time i watched Disneyland Forever was at Small World and we got snow during the Frozen portion :)

My husband is a photographer and loves to find new places to get some great fireworks shots. Since Fantasmic is down you can sit in front of rivers of America and view the fireworks from there. We have also watched them from Casey Jr. while riding as well as from the seats in front of Casey facing the back of the castle. Another great view was in Tomorrowland in front of Autopia facing the Matterhorn. We took some chairs from the restaurant across the way and sat while watching. Small World is a good spot as well.

Attachments

• IMG_0876.JPG
    IMG_0876.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 19
If I'm not on Main Street watching the fireworks my second choice would be in front of Small World, since they do projections onto Small World it's a cool show too, second only to the castle itself. If not there then at Rivers of America like someone else posted, they play the Fireworks music through the speakers there so though there's no projections you still get the music which is nice. Outside the parks people sometimes sit in the Esplanade circle in between Disneyland and DCA and watch from there.

A couple of the restaurants in DTD also have particularly good views of the fireworks too, I had dinner once on the balcony of Jazz Kitchen during the fireworks. Amazing food, great view of the fireworks, my girlfriend was extremely impressed with the reservation I had made, it was our anniversary and it was super romantic if I do say so myself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter