Fireworks photo tips

TaxiLab127

Earning My Ears
Hi all! I will be at my first (and second too) MNSSHP on the 24th. I am bringing my Nikon D600 and a tripod. What tips can you give me for fireworks photos? And where is a good place to set up? I've not really shot fireworks before besides goofing around. Thanks!:wave2:

Hi all! I will be at my first (and second too) MNSSHP on the 24th. I am bringing my Nikon D600 and a tripod. What tips can you give me for fireworks photos? And where is a good place to set up? I've not really shot fireworks before besides goofing around. Thanks!:wave2:

Camera

• Bring a cable release.
  • Off off your VR on the lens if you have VR
  • Find a location where you have no existing light shining directly into your lens to eliminate lens flare.
  • Set the focus on your lens to infinity and turn off your autofocus.
  • Small apertures IE F16 ,22 cause star like effects on bright bursts.
  • F5.6 or F8 seems to work best for me.
  • Set your camera on manual exposure B Bulb.
  • Anticipate the fireworks and hold the shutter open for up to 30 seconds. Adjusting your shutter does not change the exposure value that is set by the aperture and the length of time the firework is displayed in the sky. The longer exposure allows you to capture multiple firework burst in the same frame.
  • Turn your Highlight Alert 'blinkies' on your camera and judge for overexposure, underexposure on the LCD.
  • Spend some time chimping "Chimping is a colloquial term used in digital photography to describe the habit of checking every photo on the camera display (LCD) immediately after capture." and adjuster exposure accordingly.
  • Turn off auto-ISO set ISO to 100 or 200.
  • Ones and zeros are cheap shoot lots of photos.
  • If your photo includes illuminated buildings in the foreground or background just your exposure time to allow them to be properly exposed.
  • Shoot in RAW then adjust the photos in post.
  • Shoot in liveview this will lock your mirror up, reduce vibration-induced motion blur during exposure.
  • Bring a small Keychain LED flashlight but not so bright that people near you will complain, just bright enough so that you can see your controls.
  • Wrap your camera strap around your tripod or remove it after mounting, so the wind does not blow it and introduce vibration.
  • Bring an extra battery as liveview and blub exposures are very demanding on battery power.

• Arrive at least a half hour before the fireworks begin.
  • Find a location with the railing front of you so other people cannot block your view, also the area in front of you should be at least 10 feet of clear distance that no one can stand.
  • Set your equipment up and take some practice shots.
Good luck

My favorite location is the sidewalk between main street and tomorrow land. I set up about an hour before so I can put my tripod over the fence on the castle side. Because of the grassy area, you won't get folks coming up and standing in front of you and it minimizes the risk of someone bumping your tripod.

8931654857_23de43f488_c.jpg

This was a 6 second exposure at f8 and ISO100 using a 24mm lens on a D800.

I have other photos of different exposure levels at http://www.flickr.com/photos/96877927@N04/sets/72157633892561977/

Remember to stop down your exposure for the finale.

My favorite location is the sidewalk between main street and tomorrow land. I set up about an hour before so I can put my tripod over the fence on the castle side. Because of the grassy area, you won't get folks coming up and standing in front of you and it minimizes the risk of someone bumping your tripod.

Here's another vote for finding a place to put your tripod over the fence. Last year, I setup near Crystal Palace, and had 1 leg of my tripod over the fence and the other 2 legs on the sidewalk side. I finally had to move it since people kept trying to squeeze inbetween me and the tripod, and were constantly bumping it.

We were at the MK in July and I thought I would get some fireworks near the end of the trip. I went in late afternoon about 8pm or what I thought was 2 hours early for the fireworks and suddenly realized that I would not be able to set up anywhere near mainstreet. I had wanted to get the shots with Cinderella's castle in the foreground. The evening schedule which was 9pm MSEP, 10pm Wishes, 11pm MSEP would not afford me the time or space I needed. People had been lining the streets for the first parade from before 7pm. I tried to get some shots of the floats with the castle in the background. That proved to be impossible due to the press of the crowds. After the parade, I thought about moving to Fantasyland and tried to go that way. This was a short lived walk as the bottom fell out. I found a covered area just beyond Merida's M&G and repacked the camera equipment into the shoulder bag and moved back on the sidewalk toward the castle and stood in the monsoon to watch the projected show and the fireworks.

After the fireworks, Mainstreet was several inches deep in the water as everyone moved toward the front of the park and out. From the train station to the ferry ramp and then to TTC took almost 1-1/2 hours.

I have found that if you go to Fantasyland between BOG and Little Mermaid facing toward Beast's castle you can get some very good shots. All of the large bursts are shot from that side of the park. You will not get the small straight shots or the fans. You will also not have the major crowds to contend with.

I shoot with a D600 and all the above advice are good to go. :thumbsup2

Just a couple things to add.
Yes, you should be shooting in RAW, however, if you are shooting in JPG or "RAW + JPG" mode, make sure "Active D-Lighting", "High ISO Noise Reduction", "Long Exposure Noise Reduction" and "Auto Distortion Correction" are all turned OFF. Any of those settings add to the processing time, and prevent you from taking another photo until it is done, especially when you get to the 5-10 second range and above. This is true for most modern Nikons. I had to do the same when I had a D7000.

While my aperture is at f/11 and ISO 100, I also use a 3 stop neutral density filter to prevent bright fireworks from blowing out. This is mainly for the finale, as it is super bright. Lots of people shoot without it. It's a preference.

Locations:

If you are brave, try shooting from the Hub. This shot is right next to the Partners statute. The area is heavily crowded; people and kids will bump your tripod. You will have to get to this spot super early. This was shot at 16mm and 13 seconds.

One of my earlier works. No ND filter. This was on mainstreet, just outside of the hub, on the bridge. This was at about 24mm, but should have gone wider. 4 seconds.

If you are a DVC member, you can shoot from the Top of the World Lounge at Bay Lake Tower. Much less crowded because of the DVC restriction. Also you can indulge in libations as you enjoy the show. 24mm lens ans 21 seconds.

This is from the beach at the Polynesian. It's very laid back here, less crowded. About 35mm and 12 seconds here.

I shoot with a D600 and all the above advice are good to go. :thumbsup2

Just a couple things to add.
Yes, you should be shooting in RAW, however, if you are shooting in JPG or "RAW + JPG" mode, make sure "Active D-Lighting", "High ISO Noise Reduction", "Long Exposure Noise Reduction" and "Auto Distortion Correction" are all turned OFF. Any of those settings add to the processing time, and prevent you from taking another photo until it is done, especially when you get to the 5-10 second range and above. This is true for most modern Nikons. I had to do the same when I had a D7000.

While my aperture is at f/11 and ISO 100, I also use a 3 stop neutral density filter to prevent bright fireworks from blowing out. This is mainly for the finale, as it is super bright. Lots of people shoot without it. It's a preference.

Locations:

If you are brave, try shooting from the Hub. This shot is right next to the Partners statute. The area is heavily crowded; people and kids will bump your tripod. You will have to get to this spot super early. This was shot at 16mm and 13 seconds.

One of my earlier works. No ND filter. This was on mainstreet, just outside of the hub, on the bridge. This was at about 24mm, but should have gone wider. 4 seconds.

If you are a DVC member, you can shoot from the Top of the World Lounge at Bay Lake Tower. Much less crowded because of the DVC restriction. Also you can indulge in libations as you enjoy the show. 24mm lens ans 21 seconds.

This is from the beach at the Polynesian. It's very laid back here, less crowded. About 35mm and 12 seconds here.

Nice Photos Pixel Dust.:thumbsup2

Here's another vote for finding a place to put your tripod over the fence. Last year, I setup near Crystal Palace, and had 1 leg of my tripod over the fence and the other 2 legs on the sidewalk side. I finally had to move it since people kept trying to squeeze inbetween me and the tripod, and were constantly bumping it.

Did you ever lift it right over the fence? I also use the through-the-fence method and it proved successful for the most part, save for an incident at Epcot where a family took exception to the fact that I had a tripod to begin with .....

I did once manage to get it set up so that I could get two legs through the railings and was able to kind of straddle the one on my side. I always figured if at least one of the legs is on my side of the fence the tripod can't be accused of trespassing :upsidedow Are there any official or unofficial rules that you can't put the entire tripod over a fence as long as you are on the right side of it?

I use my family members to guard my legs lol, or if I'm alone I get friendly with nearby people and ask them to help me out!

I use my family members to guard my legs lol, or if I'm alone I get friendly with nearby people and ask them to help me out!

Yeah, I'm also a bit of a social body but I only have one person with me. My 10 year old really enjoyed earning 10 bucks a pop on the 2 occasions I needed someone to man the extra leg ;) I may just have to budget accordingly for the next trip

Thanks so much for all the tips! I especially like the idea of the tripod over the fence. Where to put it was my main worry. It's just me so I don't have anyone to help with protection. I leave early tomorrow (or at this point later this morning) so here's hoping I get some good pics! :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter