fireworks noise strategies

jlap

Earning My Ears
Here's a dilemma. For the past few years I've been travelling to Disney alone with my now 16 year old daughter who HATES fireworks noise. I of course LOVE fireworks. At Epcot she's endured some Illuminations by staying in the gift shop by the tree, the only one that stays open, but it is still very loud in there. Same problem at MK. I really would like to catch SOME fireworks! Short of sending her back to the hotel--really not an option---or viewing from a distance, like the California Grill---any thoughts? Anyone try a walkman or earplugs or????

I'm also thinking of options for my DD that is 4. She really doesn't like the noise although enjoys the fireworks from afar. She doesn't get upset but puts her fingers in her ears. We watched them last year from the Contemporary. This year I am going to get some earplugs and give it another try. She is happy with this idea. I've never thought of a walkman. That seems like a good idea. Good luck with whatever you choose. I hope you get to see some fireworks.

I think earplugs may be a solution that works ... you'll still be able to hear the fireworks, but they won't be as loud.

(When I worked an Audience/Crowd Control shift for Wishes, they offered all the CMs that were going to be in the "blast zone" earplugs ... I didn't find them necessary, but I took a pair just in case)

Try cotton... its what i use when i play with the drumline, they are enough to keep the high level noise out but soft enough to let the music in...

There are noise cancelling headphones that work very well. You might try that. Also work great on the airplanes.

From DD- Thank you so much for your suggestions. After finding my mother had posted about my--somewhat embarassing-- aversion, I was excited to see the helpful response. Fireworks do look great, but my sensitive ears (maybe due to loud rock and roll... :rockband: ) can't handle them. I have a pair of the sound minimizing headphones and I'll definitley try the earplugs as well. Thank you for your help!

jlap, let your daughter know she is not alone. I too can't take the noise of fireworks (gun shot or thunder for that matter). I use earplugs when I remember them.

Another trick I do when I forget the earplugs is to cover one ear. It minimizes the noise...not as much as I would like but enough that I don't flinch each time the fireworks explode.

Work great, I use them in my shop and at work we give them to visitors andmany of my co-workers prefer them to the over the head ear muff types.
They cost pennies take up no room at all and are disposable.

Enjoy Dave

Hi, this is DD back from our wonderful disney vacation. We brought "hearos", foam ear plugs, and I gave them a shot when on Main Street. I was able to watch Wishes without any discomfort! The earplugs allow the music of the show to be heard but softened the sound of the fireworks. Though I could still hear the bangs, they were not disturbing. I did not try the earplugs with Illuminations; I was too scared to watch it after hearing the loud booms of the special holiday ending as far away as my room at the POR. I would definetly recomend them for anyone with a similar problem. Thank you everyone for all your help and encouragement!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter