Fireworks Cancellations??

Adi12982

DIS Veteran
How common are these?? I have read several people mention they have happened on their trips. This concerns me when planning my June trip. Do they occur more during one time of year versus another? Why do they get cancelled?? As a WDW vet I am surprised they get cancelled, because I have never been to WDW and had any of the fireworks shows cancelled. THANKS

The main reasons they are canceled is because of weather conditions. Typically, in California, they deal with higher elevation winds, and so even though it may not seem too windy on the ground, it is much worse higher up. They send up a test balloon prior to the show to test for wind conditions. Another reason they would cancel is heavy rain.

I'd say you are pretty safe in June as it isn't typically a bad weather month (usually just overcast and cloudy with "June Gloom" for the first week or so).

It's always a good idea to try to watch the fireworks on your first available night so that if there is a cancellation, you can try to catch them again later in your stay.

Thanks for the tip we are going in later June, so hopefully we will miss the June Gloom too :)

It's always a good idea to try to watch the fireworks on your first available night so that if there is a cancellation, you can try to catch them again later in your stay.

Great suggestion! It's very hard to predict whether fireworks will be cancelled, even for DL. Unless it's obviously bad weather, the decision won't be made until a couple of minutes before the show. Unlike WDW, DL is in a city so the fireworks are in people's backyards (not quite, but close). So, DL has to be more careful with winds, etc.

Woo Hoo! I am happy I read this thread, cause im going in June as well. :cool1: Im so excited to see the FW again :banana:

I agree that you should plan to see the fireworks as early in your trip as possible. We were there last year in March and they were cancelled two nights in a row. Luckily - Disney Magic :wizard: - we got to see them the last night we were there. They are unbelievable, a real must for your trip!!!

I hadn't anticipated they would be cancelled so close to the start time. We shifted our trip so that we can see both the Electrical Parade and the fireworks, but if they end up getting cancelled the first night, it sounds as if we'd be out of luck again. I guess I thought it would be earlier so that we could still make the parade, but it makes sense that the wind can change quickly. I assume it's also partially crowd control though as well.

heh, they time the Electrical parade so that the hub wouldnt be crowded. :)

IF Fantasmic was running, it would also attact more people away from the hub. its a very good idea.

High wind yes. but these days, the wind has been very random... Last Friday it showed, Last Sat, high winds, cancelled, last Sund, it showed.

Last night it showed.

The fact that DLR is in the middle of a large city means it has more restrictions than a place like WDW regarding fireworks. Aside from the expense issue of fireworks, it is my understanding that DLR's city location is one of the reasons they only show fireworks during peak times and on weekends (to reduce the annoyance on local residents). It is also one of the differences of which WDW vets should be firmly aware - entertainment offerings at DLR are not as regular year round as they are at WDW. Visiting off-season at DLR has more downsides than at WDW because of reduced opportunities to see the excellent shows at DLR.

In any case, the OP is correct and everyone should understand this. I summarized this in my thread "HydroGuy's Fireworks Rule" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1199851
If you want to see the fireworks at DL, do not save fireworks for the last night of your trip. Plan to see them as early in the trip as possible.
Further, I do not think summer months are "safe" months for fireworks. Last summer the fireworks were cancelled one week five times. Yes, I typed that right. Five times! This is not typical, but it is possible. Cancellations are fairly regular during the summer (at least once a week).

As mentioned, if you are visiting DLR in off-season, your opportunuties to see the fireworks (and several other shows for that matter) will be restricted to weekends. So if you want to see the entertainment, you will need to overlap your trip with a weekend night (Fri/Sat/Sun). But if you only have one weekend night you will risk missing the fireworks if they get cancelled. And by visiting over a weekend you will likely see crowds on weekends year round that look like peak season crowds because DLR has so many local AP holders.

If you visit during a busier time of year, the fireworks and other entertainment will be performed every night. When this happens, there is no advantage and significant disadvantages to visiting over a weekend. So stick with weekdays if possible. And see the fireworks early in your trip.

Finally, for those who have not seen Remember Dreams Come True, it is hard to describe how awesome this show is. It more than fireworks, with lasers and special effects that will know your socks off. IMO it is better than any of the shows at WDW including Illuminations.

It's safe to say that the Electrical Parade won't be cancelled. The only time I can recall that happening was the day of the CA Screamin' accident back in 2005 and it was because the emergency equipment was blocking the floats from getting to the starting point from where they're stored.

Fireworks are another matter entirely. They were cancelled last night because it was very windy. I knew earlier in the day they'd be cancelled. It was obvious as it was very, very windy. You can often tell by the flags on some of the higher up buildings (Main Street Train Station and POTC). If they're not flapping around, fireworks will probably happen. If they're standing straight out--no fireworks. Plus, what the wind feels like at ground level isn't truly the indicator as the fireworks explode 200 feet up in the air.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter