Fireworks at MK: Calofornia Grill vs ground

nivekious

Mouseketeer
We happen to have reservations at California Grill on July 2 during fireworks. We are there June 26-July 3 and are seeing the fireworks at Epcot on July 1, so this is the only night we can do the MK fireworks. Do you think you get the full experience at California Grill? Or are we better off seeing it on the ground if it is our only day doing it?

I loved Wishes from the California Grill. It was such a magical experience every time. Happily Ever After relies more heavily on projections, and I don't personally like the soundtrack as much, so I also suggest the ground if you can only go once. Having said that, I've never seen HEA from the CG before.

Thanks for the input! Would binoculars help from California Grill or is it more angle than distance that makes the projections hard to see? Just don't know if we can get another ADR if we change.

Haven't seen HEA from Cali Grill but have several times from Top of the World at Bay Lake Tower, and the angle and distance are similar. Projections do wrap partially around the castle, but even with binoculars you won't see much. Also, the launch site for the high fireworks is a quarter mile behind the castle, so from BLT/Contemporary they'll actually appear to be more over Space Mountain than the castle. That being said, it's still a pretty spectacular setting, and our last meal at Cali Grill was fantastic, so I'd keep the reservation.

Haven't seen HEA from Cali Grill but have several times from Top of the World at Bay Lake Tower, and the angle and distance are similar. Projections do wrap partially around the castle, but even with binoculars you won't see much. Also, the launch site for the high fireworks is a quarter mile behind the castle, so from BLT/Contemporary they'll actually appear to be more over Space Mountain than the castle. That being said, it's still a pretty spectacular setting, and our last meal at Cali Grill was fantastic, so I'd keep the reservation.
Thanks, maybe we will then. Also considering trying to hop on the 1st after HEA and catch Epcot Forever, but I'm guessing the park may close to hoppers well before 10pm on the first night back.

I love seeing the fireworks from California Grill.
BUT:
You cannot see the projections and that is a big part of the new show.
You see the fireworks from the side and they are best seen directly down main street.
If you can only do it once, watch them from Main Street.

We happen to have reservations at California Grill on July 2 during fireworks. We are there June 26-July 3 and are seeing the fireworks at Epcot on July 1, so this is the only night we can do the MK fireworks. Do you think you get the full experience at California Grill? Or are we better off seeing it on the ground if it is our only day doing it?
This is gonna' be a 'what ever is right for you & your family' response.

If it's all about the best place to view the Castle show & fireworks - as if the fireworks were center stage - this is on Main Street, inside Magic Kingdom.

You can also watch fireworks from the Monorail line hotels. In some cases, like CA Grill, from inside a restaurant in one of those hotels. This is about dining & fireworks. The music is piped-in to the restaurants and the lights are dimmed. This too is an experience. But this is not the best view of the fireworks.

My family does both.

So, let's get to your question of full-experience.

I'd keep the fine dining experience at CA Grill. It is a lovely only-at-Disney experience. As I mentioned, it is not the best VIEW of the fireworks, but the experience is as adult as Disney gets (without being Victoria & Albert).

You have a longer stay planned. So I would suggest you rework your plans to include the possibility of getting into MK too for the fireworks, especially if you are leaning in that direction emotionally. But be advised, however, leaving the MK immediately after the fireworks is an experience some people would rather a one-and-done (or never). More importantly, if you've been part of current Disney planning, Park planning changes may be more difficult than it sounds with the requirement of Park Reservations.

When Disney made the announcement, I had already made two CA Grill reservations (since we stay in the hotel). I am no longer likely to drop one of them. But what I felt I had to do was also make a reservation inside MK that gets my plan to include fireworks from Main Street.

This is not a 'right or wrong' question - it's about grabbing a bite and getting the best view, or, the choice that includes a lovely meal with a (often) priceless view of the MK that happens to include fireworks entertainment.

Also, if CA Grill is affordable, if Disney offers a Dessert Party - this is a way to find yourself less hassled.

We enjoy all these experiences. Maybe you can too.

Last edited:
If you only get to see Happily Ever After once see it from the park not CG. One of my most magical moments at Disney, was seeing HEA from a prime window seat at CG, but it was only special because I knew I would see if from the ground the next night.

Yea, I agree with the sentiment of most here. The move to projection technology being so important to the show has changed things with Disney fireworks shows. From CG, you'll still get the fireworks and the music, you just won't get the projection part. However, a huge advantage (IMO) is that after the show, it's so much nicer not fighting Main Street to get out and back to your room! CG is a big advantage there. If I were in your situation at this point, I'd probably enjoy the entire, more relaxed dining/fireworks experience at CG than worry about getting to the park. Keep in mind, depending how full MK is, you'd probably have to line up for fireworks 45-60 minutes before the show to get a spot good enough to enjoy the projections anyway. On a busy night, we've been pretty far back in the crowd already, and can't see much more of the projections anyway.

No..its not the full experience but that doesnt mean it's a worse experience
Considering how much of HEA is castle projection, I do consider watching fireworks from California Grill to be a lesser experience. WE still enjoy it, but no where near the experience you get on Main Street.

Considering how much of HEA is castle projection, I do consider watching fireworks from California Grill to be a lesser experience. WE still enjoy it, but no where near the experience you get on Main Street.
Great to hear…I’m sure many agree with you. It
Doesn’t make you right or wrong though. My point is, you don’t need to have the full experience of the show to have a better experience.
There are things center hub that you’d miss from not seeing it at the back of Main Street near the flagpole or even Cali Grill. The experience from Cali grill is unique and can be a very very special experience with a much smaller group, before, after or during an amazing meal, enjoying a world class glass of wine and I don’t think has to be considered any less than what someone in a crowd of thousands is experiencing in the hub.

Even if you can't se the projections, the big advantage is you won't be fighting the crowds to exit MK once the show is over. If staying at Contemporary, you are already back at your hotel. There is also a patio where you can watch the fireworks which is something we enjoy when staying there.

I think it’s a better show from CG personally. The music is louder. You actually concentrate on the amazing firework display. I think the projections are a distraction personally. Yeah they are nice but I’m there for a FIREWORKS show, not projections. Everyone is different though.

EDIT: BUT if I only had 1 time to view them, it would obviously be in the park. Don't count out them test running it in the days before the official start date though

Last edited:
Personal opinion: You can't compare from the ground and the CR viewing of fireworks. Such different experiences. If I only had one night, no question I would be in the park BUT we love watching from the CR balcony on additional nights.

It’s not worse but it is different.

If it were my first time watching the show I would watch it in the park. If I only went to Disney every few years and it was my only time watching it that trip I would watch it in the park. If I went to Disney often and knew I would be watching it again soon I wouldn’t mind watching it at CG.

I think it’s a better show from CG personally. The music is louder. You actually concentrate on the amazing firework display. I think the projections are a distraction personally. Yeah they are nice but I’m there for a FIREWORKS show, not projections. Everyone is different though.

EDIT: BUT if I only had 1 time to view them, it would obviously be in the park. Don't count out them test running it in the days before the official start date though
I'm hoping they do a test run on June 30 because we have MK that day also.

Curious if CG still does the thing where they allow you back upstairs to the viewing deck if you dined earlier in the night?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter