Fires, smoke how bad?

From http://www.ksbw.com/news/20621898/detail.html --

"By Sunday morning, firefighters contained about 70 percent of the fire that first spread over 750 acres off Highway 152 near Bell Station and east of Casa de Fruta since its ignition Saturday at about 2 p.m. The California Highway Patrol in Monterey reported a sig-alert for eastbound 152 at Bell Station."

It sounds like you just missed it in both directions. I'm glad to hear that you didn't notice anything on Sunday. That's a route that DW and I take often.

-Bob

Interesting, we got lucky that time. :)

I'm still worried.. I'm flying in from Virginia to do the half marathon...

I wouldn't worry, the fires are not close to DL/Anaheim at all. They are miles away, you might get a faint smoke smell but that's it really. Have fun!

Interesting, we got lucky that time. :)

I wouldn't worry, the fires are not close to DL/Anaheim at all. They are miles away, you might get a faint smoke smell but that's it really. Have fun!

A faint smoke smell...over the length of a 1/2 marathon could add up to a respiratory situation, for those who are sensitive. The good news is the worst of the fires went from 5% to 22% containment yesterday. At this rate, I would agree you should be fine. Let's just hope no new fires pop up between now and then! Good luck on the run!

A faint smoke smell...over the length of a 1/2 marathon could add up to a respiratory situation, for those who are sensitive. The good news is the worst of the fires went from 5% to 22% containment yesterday. At this rate, I would agree you should be fine. Let's just hope no new fires pop up between now and then! Good luck on the run!

I'm aware of that, I have asthma and was there last weekend. I had no problems at all breathing nor did I smell any smoke. I very much doubt the runner will either but since I haven't been there since Sunday I wanted to make sure I mentioned there might be a smell. But trust me, if there was any smoke in the air to smell either myself or DD9 would have smelled it. I've always been sensitive to smoke smells and since our house fire a few years ago DD9 is as well.

I'm aware of that, I have asthma and was there last weekend. I had no problems at all breathing nor did I smell any smoke. I very much doubt the runner will either but since I haven't been there since Sunday I wanted to make sure I mentioned there might be a smell. But trust me, if there was any smoke in the air to smell either myself or DD9 would have smelled it. I've always been sensitive to smoke smells and since our house fire a few years ago DD9 is as well.

We were there Sunday through today (checked out this morning).

Today is the worst day, air quality wise. The smoke smell is quite bad and our car was covered with ash when we got it from the parking lot of the Grand Californian. Our balcony railing had a dusting of ash this a.m. too...

We live in Irvine, about 15 miles south of DL. The air here is pretty bad too...

I'd say, if you are going to be running a half marathon, be a bit worried. The smoke is drifting south, and even though the fires are to the north, there is another fire in San Bernardino, and so Anaheim is sort of getting surrounded by the smoke drifting out towards the sea too...

My husband and I are runners too. We run daily to workout. We have both decided to not run today, and workout indoors instead. It's bad enough for us to make that decision.

Our 3 year old son was coughing all last night too...he tends to become asthmatic in poor air quality situations.

Just giving a fair assesment of the air quality in Anaheim as of today (Wednesday, September 2).

what i'm concerned about is if a sw santa ana wind develops. that would steer hi desert smoke:scared1: in the direction of DL i would think

So glad to find this thread as I was wondering what the conditions were!

I'm very concerned about the drive too from here in Vegas. We'll be heading out on Friday.

We have smoke and ash here. The car was covered in a really light dusting of it this morning.

I will be making the exact same trip as you--I will have my LGM with me, so I hope to see you there!

The air quality today is worse than yesterday. We had no problems yesterday; the sky was even blue. Today the skies are all ugly grey. :(
Thanks for all the tips.
My husband took our car out today and said there was no ash on our car. It's hotter than he double hockey sticks today and humid compared to yesterday.
Going to the pool now to cool off!

So, two weeks after the last post, and with the Station fire almost contained, can anybody tell me if smoke is still an issue?

-Bob

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter