• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Finished Cruising with food allergies

kventventx

Mouseketeer
I just finished cruising on Disney Magic May 7-14, 2011. I have several food allergies and was worried that mealtimes would be a real problem. Disney far exceeded any expectations I had. They demonstrated that any of their menu options could be prepared to accommodate my food allergies. I would sail again with Disney (we were traveling without kids) due to the extreme care they took in making sure I had food I liked while being safe for me to eat. Hope this helps someone else thinking of cruising.

This is great to hear! I figure you mentioned the allergy when you booked, but did you need to do anything else prior to the cruise (fill out forms, call someone, etc.)? My ds has a peanut, egg and shellfish allergy. We booked through Costco and they have informed DCL so it is noted. Used to mentioning it for TS at the parks but have never cruised with Disney. TIA!

I was wondering what food you are allergic to? Also, were you able to eat at the buffet or room service or just the sit down restaurant? :confused3

I'm allergic to dairy, peanuts, tree nuts, coconut, anything cooked in alcohol, raw onions, oysters, and artificial sweeteners. I filled out the forms and called food services prior to sailing and then I was assigned a Head Server who took care of everything else. It's the first vacation that I've gone on with my husband that we both looked forward to mealtimes. Usually he eats and I go hungry or I eat and he's miserable. Disney really made the trip magical.

You can eat at the buffet if you pre-order your food the day before. If you just show up you may be out of luck. But if you order something the day before they will have the allergy meal set aside and then everyone else can go through the buffet. A chef will walk down the buffet with you and tell you what is safe to eat and what is not but they cannot guarantee that it hasn't been cross contaminated by someone else going down the line and using the same spoon or serving utensil for another dish. But if you order it before hand you are guaranteed that it is safe to eat.

This is so good to hear. Our daughter is severly allergic to peanuts/tree nuts. Was wondering how they handled this on their cruises.

You just have to order a day in advance and be specific as to what you want ie. seasonings, sauces, etc. Most all of the menu items can be remade - I didn't request any desserts due to the number of allergies. Room service is a problem. It's better to order through your head server and then pick it up at the pre-arranged restaurant and then they can transfer it to a different restaurant or you can get it to go. When we had our stop at Castaway Cay, I ordered my meal the day before and it was kept in the kitchen and didn't come into contact with the other food cooked on the island. I actually had two lunches prepared for me so I could choose which one I wanted or eat both.

Sounds like you ate well. You mentioned calling Food Services. Do I call DCl directly and ask to speak to someone there? Again, I am going through another agency and normally everything needs to be done through them.

DISNEY CRUISE LINE®
DISNEY CRUISE LINE® can accommodate a variety of special dietary requests, including gluten, diabetic, vegetarian, low-fat, low-sodium and Kosher meals. Please submit any special dietary requests in writing to our Special Reservations Department at least four (4) weeks prior to your sail date. Once onboard, any dietary requests should be directed to your Head Server.
Please visit our web site at www.disneycruise.com or phone Disney Cruise Vacations at 1-800-951-3532.

This is what I got directly from Disney and I used a travel agent but called the number above to make sure all the food allergy information was actually given to Disney. And, when you first get on board the ship ask at guest services where to go to meet with a chef regarding your particular food allergies. It only took about 10 minutes but it was well worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter