• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Finger scanners - 3 year old

Button

A princess waiting for Cinders to ship on out of t
Hi,

Does a 3 year old still need to do the finger scanner at the entry turnstiles?

We seem to have hard enough trouble getting that darn machine to recognise mine and DH fingers. :thumbsup2

Cool, one less thing to stress over.

In case you were wondering: children start using the finger scanner once they start using the adult ticket at age 10 and up:)

Ditto what pp said. Just got back this weekend and DD never had to do the fingerscan.

Actually they have had children use the finger scanner too. When I took my dd she was 5 and they made her use the scanner. Now my younger one didn't have to. At three they won't have them use it. I agree those things are a pain in the butt.

On our last trip the kids were 7 and 9 and they both had to scan every day - this was last October.

SmallWorld71 said:
In case you were wondering: children start using the finger scanner once they start using the adult ticket at age 10 and up:)

I thought that this was the case too, but last time we were there, my then 5 year old used them. Maybe because he saw us using it and insisted. I don't know, but he totally knew the routine and did it every time???

I thought that this was the case too, but last time we were there, my then 5 year old used them. Maybe because he saw us using it and insisted. I don't know, but he totally knew the routine and did it every time???

Well then, I don't know. :confused3 I assume you just had regular tickets through your Disney resort or did you have another type of ticket?
My kids never had to do it, but things certainly do change. Our "baby" will be 10 on our next trip, so it doesn't matter for us. But, I'd be interested in knowing because people are always asking me Disney questions. Of course, I'm the only one that ever seems to have problems with the dang thing! I never remember which finger I've used!:rolleyes1

The original reason for children not to use the finger scanner was that growth in their fingers since the last vacation resulted in different scan data.

The new scan data (one-finger scanners versus the older two-finger scanners) relies more on the fingerprint rather than the finger size and may be less affected by childrens' growth.

Also the vast majority of tickets sold nowadays do not ahve non-expiration added, so a child's growth does not come into play.

(Scan data is digested down to a single 3 or 4 digit number and it is not possible to recreate a fingerprint using it.)

The original reason for children not to use the finger scanner was that growth in their fingers since the last vacation resulted in different scan data.

The new scan data (one-finger scanners versus the older two-finger scanners) relies more on the fingerprint rather than the finger size and may be less affected by childrens' growth.

Also the vast majority of tickets sold nowadays do not ahve non-expiration added, so a child's growth does not come into play.

(Scan data is digested down to a single 3 or 4 digit number and it is not possible to recreate a fingerprint using it.)

Thanks for the info!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter