FINED for not showing at Cali Grill!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn't dining and it's not Disney but I just got a $100+ charge because I forgot to cancel a hotel reservation. I made it online and then found a better deal so booked that as well. I thought I had canceled the first reservation but I never did. I had never even spoken to a human being when I made the reservation and therefore was never verbally informed of the cancellation policy. But it was on the website when I booked it.

It's a $100+ mistake but it's MY mistake. Not the hotel's and not the credit card company's. Mine.

I've never eaten at a Disney restaurant where I've had to give a credit card when booking because of the cancellation policy. Too many what ifs and maybes.

I personally think that their should be a charge for ANY RESERVATION that is not cancelled within 24 hours of the ADR! I am not one to plan in advance and if those people would just cancel their reservation those of us who like to make last minute plans might get some availability at ANY restaurant instead of eating fast food or in a food court!

PLEASE....have the common courtesy of cancelling your ADR's if you are not coming, thanks!

I agree that you should always cancel a reservation that you're not going to make.

However, I disagree with always being subject to a fee. No matter how late the cancellation, if Disney fills a table with walk ups, there is no loss in revenue. So, there shouldn't be a fee. (Yes, Disney had the expense of taking two phone calls. But, surely that wouldn't be $20pp.)

I have seen this mentioned before. Does Disney really keep a record of all the phone calls they receive? And they can find a particular one? I am really curious!

You'd be amazed what a digital recording system can hold. Phone conversations are pretty low fidelity.

The reason certain restaurants have the charges is that they generally do not have walk-up crowds trying to get in. Therefore not showing up to canceling late results in a wasted table and lost income to the server.

It's different for World Showcase restaurants, where there is a constant crowd and people always asking if they can get a table on the spot, so they can keep the tables full.

When we book ADRs, we try to keep to certain rules...nothing on the arrival day, at most breakfast or early lunch on the departure day, and if we are having a signature meal, that's usually in the middle. And fortunately we have never missed or canceled an ADR...we've adjusted a couple fairly close though. And once, while changing an ADR for a CP package at the same restaurant for the same date, DDining somehow screwed up and rescheduled it for the week after, which we didn't find out until arriving at the Coral Reef. The manager was wonderful and not only did we get seated (quickly no less), but also got our CP passes. And I did make sure that we didn't get charged for the no-show on the wrong reservation...

Skipped? As in didn't call to cancel? I'm in the restaurant business, and if you don't take the time to, at the very least, pick up a phone and call to say you will be "skipping" your reservation, then you deserve to be charged. Nowhere on your post does it seem there was a legit emergency, so all I can com up with is that you didn't feel like calling....laziness. I'm glad they charged you, especially after thay said they would. And deep down inside, you knew they did tell you that. Sorry this post isn"t very "Disney-ish.

I agree...I work in a restaurant for a living and if one of my tables is being held for a ressie and then they do not show I have lost money as well as the restaurant. Someone else could have used that table. Depending on how long they held the table for possibly 2 parties could have dined at that table before it closed. So instead of making some money the restaurant and the server have made none:sad2:
Call and cancel!!!

However, I disagree with always being subject to a fee. No matter how late the cancellation, if Disney fills a table with walk ups, there is no loss in revenue. So, there shouldn't be a fee. (Yes, Disney had the expense of taking two phone calls. But, surely that wouldn't be $20pp.)

There's no guarantee of filling a table with a walk-up. If the restaurants is full walk-ups will be turned away. Noone is going to want to stand around & wait in hopes someone will decide to skip their reservation sometime that night. A restaurant can't anticipate the time someone will not show up. If the no-show had a 7pm ADR, someone would have to walk up at the same time to luck into that table. If they seat a walk-up later than the time of the no-show, that will push back other reservations. Diners with later ADRs would not be happy with that. I personally think the "walk-up" excuse is an attempt by others to justify their making ADRs they probably won't keep, especially those who double book.

We were at WDW a month ago (had a great trip, except for the rain), and we had an ADR at California Grill for a Sun night. When I made the ADR, I asked what time the fireworks were scheduled that night, and we booked the reservation based on that to co-ordinate w/ fireworks. She told me she needed my CC to hold the reservation, and probably said something vague like "there is a cancellation policy for this restaurant". I made the rest of my ADR's and that was that.
When we get to WDW on Saturday, we discover that there are NO fireworks scheduled for Sunday night b/c of MNSSHP, and just decided to skip Cali Grill. We were all disappointed, but I just don't think it is worth the $$$$ if you can't get the big fireworks show with dinner.
We just got our CC statement and saw a $100 charge to Cali Grill for that Sunday:scared1: . I called Disney Dining, spent 22 minutes on the phone with them, mostly on hold, to find out that they charge $20 per person if you don't show up. I told them that nobody told me of a specific fine (believe me, I would have remembered $100!). They said they would contact California Grill and get back to me today (so far I'm still waiting...).
If they are going to charge this much $$$, they need to 1) tell you when you make the ADR exactly what the penalty is, 2) send something in writing (email or otherwise) explaining their policy.
I know we all love Disney, and that people who complain often get shot down, but I really feel they pulled one over on us this time. Should I have assumed there would be a fine when I handed over my CC#? Probably. But that does not take away Disney's responsibility to explain to me exactly what the consequence is for not showing.
Anyone else experience this?

I haven't read all of the replies (just the first page). I don't really think you have a legitimate complaint. I think you just zoned out when they were doing their little spiel. We all do but when you give over your credit card number, it's pretty obvious there's a fee for a no-show. I've had to cancel an ADR there before myself. (I knew the consequences of not doing so.) It's just a phone call or a stop at the concierge desk or, I believe, you can stop at any Disney restaurant podium to cancel an ADR at any Disney restaurant. Also...I'm really bothered by folks who make ADRs and don't bother to cancel them when they're gonna be a no-show. Especially during peak times. Think of all the people that would have given their first born to have that ADR. HalloWishes is AWESOME! I can't believe you missed that! Don't take this as a flame. It's meant more to 'enlighten'.

On another note ... I don't understand why people book a table at CA Grill just to see fireworks. I would think that people would make a dinner reservation to enjoy a good meal ... the fireworks are incidental. But that's just my opinion, which I know is in the minority around here. ;)
I agree with you. I go to CA Grill for the food. If I happen to be there for the fireworks, that's great, but I wouldn't not eat there just because of not being able to see the fireworks.

OP - You should have cancelled. You knew the day before that you weren't going to go. Even if there wasn't a cancellation fee, you should have cancelled. I just think it's rude not to.

Now see I an in 100% disagreement for going through your CC and Disney for a refund which you encountered based on your lack of respect for others. I suspect they did tell you, if not then you should have asked why you had to give a CC. Two wrongs do not make a right here but I also agree too many ppl these days feel they are entitled to more then they give to others.

Not only is there a $10.00 cc guarantee at Akershus, but if you show up with less people than you have listed for your ADR, they will charge for the missing person. We were on the free dining plan this past Sept. I woke up ill one morning, but sent my mom and husband on to Akershus, just so we wouldn't be charged. Lo and behold, a $10.00 charge appeared on my credit card after we got back. I had not used that credit card down there and seldom use it here, so noticed it immediately. I called and was informed that the charge was because we had showed up one person short at Akershus. The fact that the others showed up didn't matter.

I just wanted to re-iterate the fact that folks will still get charged for no-shows from your party (even though everyone else makes it).

agnes!

I have to agree with the OP... we ate a Cali Grill during our trip in Sept. While we didn't miss our ADR's, and I'm sure they requested a cc for the ressie, I don't remember being told about a cancellation fee... especially $20/pp. I would have remembered that! So fortunately we didn't have to cancel (in fact we were so impressed that we went back the next night and ate at the bar!).
But, yes, I would have remembered such a steep fee if it had been mentioned.

I was not told about the charge either when I made my ADR but the IPO made mine for me so they already had my cc# so they didnt go through and tell me about every charge just sent me my comf #...I WOULD let the IPO know if I needed to cancel though, also even if you call a few hours ahead alot of places may not even charge as long as you call.The last time we went I had to cancel because one of the kids were not feeling well and they said no problem thanks for calling and no charge, but at least call.I am sure if they press the issue he will get his charge back from cali grill...at wdw the customer is always right (even if they are not).

She told me she needed my CC to hold the reservation, and probably said something vague like "there is a cancellation policy for this restaurant.

This statement makes me think that you don't really remember what she said about a cancellation fee. She very well could have told you that it was a $20 fee, you just don't remember exactly what she said. I don't see how the restaurant is at fault here. You voluntarily gave your credit card number to hold a reservation - and then you were a no show. What did you think they needed your credit card number for? :confused3

On a positive note regarding Disney and their policy. Last fall we went and On our first full day we had a reservation at BBB and dinner in the castle to follow. DD got sick with the stomach flu on arrival day and we could not make the reservations. We were fully prepared to suffer the consequences in canceling but they not only waived the fee but found us an alternative day for both reservations. It just took a walk to the concierge desk in the lobby and they were very understanding.

I agree the OP has been well informed. She paid a hefty price. It's that whole live and learn stuff in life that teaches us lessons.

it has grown to 5 pages hasn't it :lmao:

I would like to thank everyone for being polite on the thread, it is appreciated!!:)

To OP,
We had the exact opposite experience and they didn't GIVE us $100's because they screwed up.
We too called for fireworks dining ADR. We showed up 15 minutes early, as we were told. Exactly 1 hour before fireworks. Not being familure with CG, we checked in and did as we were told. The hostess gave us our pagers and said "you can wait here or by those chairs, and when the pager goes off then you can go up the elevator to the resturant."
Ok we say...we wait. 5, 10 15 minutes. It's now our ADR time, 45 minutes before fireworks. And notice, hey, nobody else is waiting down here?
I go up to the hostess and about our table...she checks the computer..
and says...the manager will be down in a few minutes to talk to you.
We wait some more..The manager comes down and says...well, we were paged but because we didn't respond they gave our table away.
I'm like...what! we've been here the whole time, See the pager never went off.
She's like...we'll the page system is upstairs and since we were downstair and not close by it must not have gone off.
WHAT!!!!! I told her the hostess TOLD US TO STAY HERE.
She said, sorry, if we want to wait she'll try and fit us in as soon as she can.
I want to leave, but my family want's to stay so we stay.
We wait...now it's been 30 minutes. then 35, 40, 45. Now it's 15 minutes before fireworks.
I try talking to the manager again, she says...sorry people are sitting around waiting for fireworks, there's no tables. But we can go up and stand outside and watch from the balcony.
We go up...(we're a party of 6) there's two 4 top tables next to the windows empty, I ask if we can have those..The manager said no, since we're 6 not 4 we can't have those and they can't combine tables.
My family goes outside to watch the fireworks. A few minutes after they start, almost an hour after our ADR she says we have a table if we want it.
We sit down. The fireworks are half over..and imediately the waiter comes over and starts telling us the specials...I'm already annnoyed about missing the fireworks..and like, can't you wait till after the fireworks at this point, at least let us enjoy what's left.
The rest of the meal and service was fine. Except the table next to us had 4 kids who where running around their table playing tag the whole time.
And when we get the bill. NOT 1 PENNY taken off for our trouble.
Nothing. No offer for an appatizer, no offer for dessert, not 1 meal compted.
And they certainly didn't GIVE US $100 for missing our table because of their fault.
Personally, I'll never go there again. And anytime anyhow asks about fireworks ADR's here on the boards, I highly recommend going elsewhere to watch them.
Especially if you think it's supposed to be a "romantic" meal.
It's not, it's full of lound sceaming kids, till after fireworks.

I had adrs at CRT and H&V Fantasmic dinner pkg and they both took my credit card info. I don't remember if they told me of the exact penalty for no showing, but i certainly asked. I'm not going to give my cc info out not knowing exactly what the penalties are. I hope you get your money back though!!

It stinks, but it is what it is. They've had that policy in place for a while, I know I've seen it mentioned in guide books, on the official Disney site & here. And it sounds to me like you were told. Guess we all know the policy now.

Let's just say the OP had an illness. Would trip insurance have covered this? If so, what kind of proof do you think would have been required? I am taking a trip next year, and plan on booking lots of things that need to be guaranteed with a credit card. Just wondering. Thanks.

I personally think that their should be a charge for ANY RESERVATION that is not cancelled within 24 hours of the ADR! I am not one to plan in advance and if those people would just cancel their reservation those of us who like to make last minute plans might get some availability at ANY restaurant instead of eating fast food or in a food court!

PLEASE....have the common courtesy of cancelling your ADR's if you are not coming, thanks!

Agreed - if more people would cancel ADRs they dont plan on using - it would be easier to get a ressie.:thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter