• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Finding a therapist

lifesavacation

DIS Veteran
My PCP suggested a therapist to help me deal with my anxiety, which is easier said than done right now. Demand for therapists is really high and I've called at least 10 offices and no one has openings or they don't call me back. Any suggestions? I'm ready to give up trying to find someone.

I did find someone a few weeks ago and scheduled an appointment. It was a telehealth appointment. She called me from her car! She was driving around and that was supposed to be my therapy appointment. I found it very unprofessional and then the connection went bad so she just called me back on the phone. She was very distracted to whole time. Ugh! I don't want to schedule with her again, but I guess I can if I can't find anyone else.

Having done the same thing very recently, I feel for you. I went through my company's EAP program, which was really just a list of participating doctors. One didn't even return my call. One was no longer participating, one had a 3 month wait.. I was finally able to find one, and I actually really like him. So, I guess keep calling around? The one I finally found was located in an office with several other therapists - I actually called for a different dr, but this guy had sooner availability.

Thank you. I should probably call him back and ask for another name. His office social worker gave me the name of the car therapist.
I certainly don't know if it will work but I always seem to have better luck with this type of thing if my doctor is helping me within the network. It just seems to work better for me that way. Good luck with it and I hope you find someone that works well for you.

My PCP suggested a therapist to help me deal with my anxiety, which is easier said than done right now. Demand for therapists is really high and I've called at least 10 offices and no one has openings or they don't call me back. Any suggestions? I'm ready to give up trying to find someone.

I did find someone a few weeks ago and scheduled an appointment. It was a telehealth appointment. She called me from her car! She was driving around and that was supposed to be my therapy appointment. I found it very unprofessional and then the connection went bad so she just called me back on the phone. She was very distracted to whole time. Ugh! I don't want to schedule with her again, but I guess I can if I can't find anyone else.

I am a therapist and the therapist driving around during your telehealth appointment is completely inappropriate. I think there are some good suggestions listed already such as contacting a larger group practice to inquire about openings or seeing if your primary care can recommend someone in the same network. You can also reach out to your health insurance and see if they have a list of local providers.

I am a therapist and the therapist driving around during your telehealth appointment is completely inappropriate. I think there are some good suggestions listed already such as contacting a larger group practice to inquire about openings or seeing if your primary care can recommend someone in the same network. You can also reach out to your health insurance and see if they have a list of local providers.

I agree. I found the whole thing very inappropriate and uncomfortable. She said she stepped out for lunch and got stuck in traffic. My appointment was at 3:00 so I don't necessarily believe her reason.

I did manage to schedule with someone after calling a larger office (thanks for the tip), but it's not for 3 months. I'm glad I'm not having a mental health crisis because that's a long time to wait for help.

I agree. I found the whole thing very inappropriate and uncomfortable. She said she stepped out for lunch and got stuck in traffic. My appointment was at 3:00 so I don't necessarily believe her reason.

I did manage to schedule with someone after calling a larger office (thanks for the tip), but it's not for 3 months. I'm glad I'm not having a mental health crisis because that's a long time to wait for help.
That’s terrible. Things come up, but the appropriate reaction should have been to call you, apologize and reschedule. It reminds me of that story recently about the plastic surgeon (I think) trying to show up (through FaceTime or something similar) for a court appearance while in the operating room. The judge fortunately had sense and rescheduled.

With numbers dropping like they are I would insist on in-person ONLY, and I know that will be difficult to find. It sounds like the tele-conference thing your therapist is doing does more harm than good.

OP: I'd send a note to the insurance company sharing your experience and questioning her bill - doesn't seem like she should be billing her standard office rate for "treating" you while multitasking on other things. If someone doesn't challenge her, she'll just keep doing this to other patients and it's not right.

With numbers dropping like they are I would insist on in-person ONLY, and I know that will be difficult to find. It sounds like the tele-conference thing your therapist is doing does more harm than good.
I think if therapists are doing telehealth appts while they sit in an appropriate office setting then that it is fine. I have been providing telehealth appts for a year (and some telehealth before the pandemic even happened for clients who were away at college and could not get to my office).
What this particular therapist did is completely inappropriate for a therapy session. She should have canceled the appt and rescheduled for a time she could be in a private and professional setting.

For my daughter we went with a therapist who is does not accept insurance. I was able to get an appointment within the week. We pay out of pocket every other week. She likes this therapist and I will happily keep paying if it is working for her.

I did the same thing for one of my children. It was the best experience that they had. No longer in therapy, but during the time they were looking for help, it took a lengthy time to find a suitable match.

One of the universities here has a counselling service that is run by students who are in their last term of studies. They offer discounted rates and they meet with their profs on a regular basis to make sure they are on the right track. We were lucky and only had to wait about six weeks to get started. We clicked right away with ours and I'll be sad when she graduates in May.

OP: I think you got some very good suggestions from others on this board. I will add another one. Check with your local county/city. They usually have mental health referrals (like 2-1-1). Social services (including child protective services and adult protective services) and even the local probation department.

For my daughter we went with a therapist who is does not accept insurance. I was able to get an appointment within the week. We pay out of pocket every other week. She likes this therapist and I will happily keep paying if it is working for her.
Here in Canada mental health services are provided as part of our public health care system, free of extra cost to patients. Those resources are extremely slow to access and only available by referral. We’re currently looking for help and the wait list for basic counselling is estimated at 9 months here in our city. They won’t even give an estimated wait time to see an actual psychiatrist.

Blessedly, mental health is one of the few health-related services where professionals can operate private practices outside the system. If one can pay OOP the prospects are much better. We’ve got meet-and-greets booked with two different practitioners next week and our family doctor can refer us to a psychiatrist very quickly. We then can have the receipts reimbursed through our work benefits plans.

We will be OK but at the same time our hearts bleed for those without the wherewithal to do this. It really shines a light on why mental health is such a growing crisis with no real solutions in sight. :sad1:

The Psychology Today website is an amazing resource. You can put in your zip code and it will give you people near you and then each of their profiles tells what insurance they accept and that sort of information. I used it before to find someone.

Here in Canada mental health services are provided as part of our public health care system, free of extra cost to patients. Those resources are extremely slow to access and only available by referral. We’re currently looking for help and the wait list for basic counselling is estimated at 9 months here in our city. They won’t even give an estimated wait time to see an actual psychiatrist.

Blessedly, mental health is one of the few health-related services where professionals can operate private practices outside the system. If one can pay OOP the prospects are much better. We’ve got meet-and-greets booked with two different practitioners next week and our family doctor can refer us to a psychiatrist very quickly. We then can have the receipts reimbursed through our work benefits plans.

We will be OK but at the same time our hearts bleed for those without the wherewithal to do this. It really shines a light on why mental health is such a growing crisis with no real solutions in sight. :sad1:

Here in NY I could have set up a plan that takes funds out of my check and puts them into a fund that would allow me to reimburse myself but I did not do that this year. My health insurance would cover a approved therapist but we could not find one who was accepting new patients. My daughter has seen 3 different therapists and likes the current one so I happily pay the $120 dollars every other week. She gets to meet in person with this therapist and it is worth every penny. Best of luck to you and your family. I

Honestly if that my first impression of a therapist he she would be fired by me but I love online counciling with my tberpust she has a home office and a white sound thing at her house so I know her dh cant here my personal business and it takes a lot less of my time more time to study the luxury of eating dinner right before my appointment so I am not starving

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter