Find Your Own "Directive" - the February Weight Loss / Life Style Change Challenge

Question of the Day - February 5
O76ixIG.gif

Let's talk... snack foods.

Guests living onboard the Axiom have only the best options to choose from for food - just kidding!
They're drinking Buy n Large slurpees flavored with pizza, hotdogs, and burgers. Um... yuck!

How do you manage snacking and snack foods?
What are your go-to snack foods? What are your weaknesses?

Bonus: Would you want to try a hamburger flavored slurpee, like those featured in Wall-e?

Last edited:
O76ixIG.gif

Guests living onboard the Axiom have only the best options to choose from for food - just kidding!
They're drinking Buy n Large slurpees flavored with pizza, hotdogs, and burgers. Um... yuck!

Bonus: Would you want to try a hamburger flavored slurpee, like those featured in Wall-e?

I play snacks off hunger levels some days I have two or three other none just 3 balanced meals. My go tos I dunno I've been opting out of buying snack foods beyond fruit which can be great for me. :) My weakness is definitely Doritos or salt and vinegar chips so I avoid buying those often.

As for the bonus. HECK NO I don't think I'd try hamburger slurpee. YUCKY sounding.

I just want to hide.
I can't tell you how many times I've felt this way. I don't really like seeing people that I haven't seen in a while because I'm so embarrassed. Ugh it's just the worst sometimes.
My go-to snacks are pistachios (LOVE THOSE LITTLE GUYS), cashews, baby carrots, and popcorn. My weaknesses are crunchy things like crackers and stuff (I love bread but try not to eat it). I mean, chocolate obv. Sometimes when I'm tired and hungry and feeling lazy I crave pizza or Taco Bell (it's across the street from my apartment and taunts me) even though I know it's so bad for you. I do try to snack low-carb though. I really do enjoy those snacks so it's not like I'm forcing myself to eat them... I just have to avoid the starchy sugary stuff.

Sometimes if I'm really craving sweets I'll eat sugar free jello, or have an Atkins chocolate shake, or I'll make a smoothie out of frozen fruit and protein powder. Fruit is so sweet on its own that it really helps those cravings. Or I'll put liquid stevia in my coffee.

If I didn't have to think about calories and sugar etc, I'd love to get down on some Creme brûlée, or molten chocolate cake, or ben and jerrys. Omg Oreos too I live for Oreos. I haven't had any of those things in months and months.. Ahhhh I miss them so!

Morning friends! Snowy morning here today AND I am supposed to be in a bit early AND I will be driving DS because of the weather..... so no time to chat. I just wanted to say .................HAPPY FRIDAY!! .................P

Hum Motivation.. I feel like I have none.. I of course want to feel better, get my diabetes under control and be more active but I can't seem to make myself move.. I keep telling myself once I lose some weight with WW it will be easier or once it's nicer outside it will be easier but IDK.. Hubs and I are just not all that active.. we are couch potatoes.. and especially this time of year (altho we have had a non-winter winter) I have just started a new diabetes medicine and I am hoping that will lower my A1C so I will feel better (not so darn tired all the time) and have more energy so I can get something done.. My goal of hula hooping 3 times a week hasn't happened yet (I've got a visitor) and can't seem to get out of my own way this week.. I will keep tracking all foods and work on getting some energy for Hooping. Off to a 1.5 hr meeting soon.. it's our yearly announcement of the Aspire Trip that lucky winners (I won in 2012) get a trip to Disney for some work some play! they put us up in the Yacht and Beach Club, give you 3 day hoppers, night in room gifts and pamper you in complete and total Disney style.. unfortunately the girl in our department who is the winner is out today but the theme for the meeting is " Follow the Yellow Brick Road " should be lots of fun and a great way to end my day..

Note - the year I went we had a Good vs. Evil dinner the first night, the second Night we went to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter for dinner and rides and the third night we had dinner backstage of the Indiana Jones show.. Food, Drinks, everything free of charge!
AspireGoodEvilDinner4-29-12-1.jpg

Hugs and Smiles to all. Michelle

Last edited:
O76ixIG.gif

I usually have a mid morning and mid afternoon snack, most days but not always. My go-to's tend to be fruit, veggies and humus, dannon lite & fit greek yogurt or think thin brownie bites (just like their protien bars but cut up into little snacks, and it totally takes care of any chocolate cravings I might have!!) My biggest weakness is and has always been chocolate but I'm not even tempted to give in to it right now!

As for a hamburger flavored slurpee.......no! :)

I got behind this week, I just had to jump ahead and jump back in. Had a good week got my workouts in, I have one more to do tomorrow but I'm heading to yoga this morning. The scale was kinder to me and I'm back to pre-scrapbooking weekend away weight. LOL now to make it through the crop next weekend and the rest of the month and hit my goal which will put me back in a decade I saw last year.

Lately for snacks I've been trying to focus more on protein and less processed carbs. Lately I've been liking deli roast beef wrapped around a light cheese stick. Also been drinking lots of hot tea to fill my belly and keep warm

My snacks range from 2-4, depending on the day. I like carrots and laughing cow cheese, cottage cheese, rice cakes with peanut butter, bananas, apples, grapes, etc. I'll usually have something sweet at night. Last night I had a cup of cocoa caramel sea salt herbal tea and 1/2 cup of sugar free, fat free instant chocolate pudding. It satisfies the sweet craving and is much better than cookies!

Which brings me to what I avoid. Cookies (oreos), chips (doritos), donuts (yes, I count those as snacks lol), cheezits, jalapeno cheddar cheetos, etc. Basically all the junk. Sure I could try to fit in 5 sp of cheetos into my diet but it doesn't fill me up and for 5 sp I could have 1 tbsp of peanut butter on 2 rice cakes and that would keep me fuller much longer.

Just curious but at what length of time do you start fueling during runs? I've run 6 miles which takes me about 1:12 to complete and I haven't fueled. I have a 7 mile run planned on Saturday and I'm not sure if I should fuel or not. Plus, will the people on the treadmills give me odd looks :rolleyes1. I feel exhausted during these runs (obviously) but I'm not sure if fueling will actually changed anything. Also, do you only do GU or do you experiment?

I could have used this last night! I took an impromptu rest day. I was bone tired and made the mistake of going home instead of going straight to the gym. The longer I sat on the couch the more exhausted I felt and just knew that the run wouldn't be good and I mentally wasn't in it.

One motivation for getting to my goal is because I want to feel healthier. Before, I used to feel my muscles when I moved. I felt like I could do a pick up game of basketball or just break out into a sprint and it wasn't weird and I didn't feel out of shape. Then I went to Disney for my wedding in 2014 and I was soooo out of shape. My legs hurt, my feet hurt, my back hurt. I felt like an 80 year old woman! It was the first time that I could remember going to a Disney trip and not feeling like a kid. And I didn't like it. Which is when I decided to change.

Disney also has motivated me to run with the races. I have always despised running. But then I got on the Dis boards and read some trip reports about the dopey challenge and I was hooked! I knew I wanted to do it. And oddly enough, I am loving running now. Which has helped with my progress.

Overall, my motivation is to be happy and healthy. I want to feel beautiful in my skin. I want to feel attractive for my husband (even though he loves me know matter what I look like) and I want to feel attractive for myself. I want to have kids some day but I want to be my healthiest self when I do it.

I'm thinking EPCOT but I have no idea what kind of ride it would be!

Hi @dsnyfn1022 I thought I'd pipe in on your fueling question, because it made a big difference for me, right where you are at. The general advice of trainers and nutritionists, is if you are going to run over an hour (some even say 45 minutes) you should fuel. You only have so much easy to burn fuel stored in your body at a time and if you go through is when you "hit the wall" as people refer to. And, you need to start early, because once you get to a deficit, its hard to recover. That said, it does not have to be a ton, and may depend on if you ate in the hour or two before you started running, and what you are drinking if anything. I waited a long time to experiment with fueling, because I have a very sensitive stomach and had heard horror stories about fuels really messing with people. But it was when I got to the 7-8 mile mark for long runs that I really felt drained at the end of the run, and it tended to continue through the day. I bought a few things, and first ate a small amount at home separate from exercise, or after a run or bike ride. Then, I took what I liked best (Clif shot blocks) to the gym and had it during a treadmill run, so a bathroom was close by;) In the end, my fuel of choice did not mess with me at all, and it really, really helped. I am a prolific and salty sweater. I come home crusted in salt from some outdoor runs. So, I use Clif Margarita Shot Bloks because they have 3x the replacement salt. Makes a huge difference. I take my first one at 20 minutes into my run, and then, every twenty minutes there after. I have a sip or two of water with each block and a sip every 10 minutes between blocks. If I am going to be running more than 2 hours, such as for a half, I might take two blocks at a time the first time (at 20 minutes) and again when I am 1 hour 20 minutes in. But that would mainly be if I knew I was low on carbs the day before, and/or went out so early I skipped breakfast, like Disney race days. I also have a fuel belt with 2 (or 3 if I add it) water bottles. On really hot days I will have 1 or 2 bottles be straight water and 1 will be a mix or water and gatorade. I'll use the mix between fueling to make up for the additional sweating.

The bottom line is you have to find what works for you. Some people can get by just drinking gatorade or the like instead of fuels. Its not enough for me. I for one gag on GU. I applaud anyone who can tolerate it. Its just a consistency thing. My favorite flavor and consistency wise is honey stinger chews, but I need all the salt in my Margarita shot blocks.

O76ixIG.gif

So snacking is the make or break for me. My meals are easy. I really solidly ingrained them in my brain back when I first started, and so I have great control and make what I think I generally very good choices for meals. But snacks, oh snacks. I love snacks. And I need them. I exercise enough I can't get by on three meals a day. I have a lot that are good choices and that keep me on plan, but I love a lot of less healthy choices too. My favorite good snacks are plain greek yogurt with a small serving with dark chocolate chips an ground flaxseed, bell peppers dipped in hummus, cheese sticks, a hard boiled egg, 3-4 slices of deli meat rolled up with a sliced of cheese divided and rolled in the middle of each, and fruits like berries and citrus.

My problems are oreos, grabbing the bag of chocolate chips meant for my yogurt and eating them by the handful, ice cream, oreos, chocolate chip cookies, oh and oreos;) And removing the oreos from the house isn't really an option. I have a son with multiple food allergies, and as a result there is a lot he can't eat. Oreos he can. When we need a safe snack for a celebration at school (there is a list we have to go from) Oreos is the go to.

Bonus: No, Just no!

Last edited:
Reminder:
Weigh-In results for week 1 are due no later than Sunday night.

Please post a PERCENTAGE towards your goal.

My goal was to lose 15 lbs this month - since Feb 1st I have lost 2.5 pounds which puts me just above 16% of the way there.

O76ixIG.gif

I'm not much of a snacker. I'm more of a meal time over eater - and most of the time it's the burgers and pizza, not the right things I should be eating. My weakness used to be the when I got home from work - my lunch is early (10:45 - 11:15) and by the time I got home I grabbed whatever I could. That hasn't been the case much since I've changed my routine. Now as soon as I get home I go back on the treadmill for my 2nd workout and normally that holds me off until dinner. After the treadmill, I'm not hungry.

I still have a sweet tooth after dinner at times and I've been going with the sugar free pudding cups. Not the best thing for you, but much better than the alternatives. It's the one thing I don't plan in my day as far as calories go, so if I want it, I add it at the end of the day (they only run 60 calories).

And as much as I like hamburgers and slurpees, I would never try a hamburger flavored slurpee.

Last edited:
O76ixIG.gif

Snacks are my absolute downfall. I love all snack foods. I like sweet snack foods, I like salty snack foods, I like any kind of snack food imaginable. Before I got serious about losing weight, I rarely ate a real meal for breakfast or lunch. I'd just have a snack here, a snack there, etc. The scale tells me that that this is NOT the way to go about life.

My go to healthy snack foods are cheese sticks, cups of yogurt, and carrots and ranch. My "acceptable" snack foods (for when I have a craving for a more (in my mind) traditional snack food) are nature valley crunchy granola bars and goldfish crackers.

I do my very best to keep away from all the other snack foods that I keep in the house for the kids - cookies, chips, chex mix, ice cream etc - though I love them to pieces. We always go out to eat one day on the weekend and that day my counting carbs, etc kind of goes by the wayside, so if I'm going to have cookies - it'll be on that one day a week.

Bonus - hamburger flavored slurpee. No Way! I do like a good hamburger and a good slurpee, just not combined.

Hi @dsnyfn1022 I thought I'd pipe in on your fueling question, because it made a big difference for me, right where you are at. The general advice of trainers and nutritionists, is if you are going to run over an hour (some even say 45 minutes) you should fuel. You only have so much easy to burn fuel stored in your body at a time and if you go through is when you "hit the wall" as people refer to. And, you need to start early, because once you get to a deficit, its hard to recover. That said, it does not have to be a ton, and may depend on if you ate in the hour or two before you started running, and what you are drinking if anything. I waited a long time to experiment with fueling, because I have a very sensitive stomach and had heard horror stories about fuels really messing with people. But it was when I got to the 7-8 mile mark for long runs that I really felt drained at the end of the run, and it tended to continue through the day. I bought a few things, and first ate a small amount at home separate from exercise, or after a run or bike ride. Then, I took what I liked best (Clif shot blocks) to the gym and had it during a treadmill run, so a bathroom was close by;) In the end, my fuel of choice did not mess with me at all, and it really, really helped. I am a prolific and salty sweater. I come home crusted in salt from some outdoor runs. So, I use Clif Margarita Shot Bloks because they have 3x the replacement salt. Makes a huge difference. I take my first one at 20 minutes into my run, and then, every twenty minutes there after. I have a sip or two of water with each block and a sip every 10 minutes between blocks. If I am going to be running more than 2 hours, such as for a half, I might take two blocks at a time the first time (at 20 minutes) and again when I am 1 hour 20 minutes in. But that would mainly be if I knew I was low on carbs the day before, and/or went out so early I skipped breakfast, like Disney race days. I also have a fuel belt with 2 (or 3 if I add it) water bottles. On really hot days I will have 1 or 2 bottles be straight water and 1 will be a mix or water and gatorade. I'll use the mix between fueling to make up for the additional sweating.

The bottom line is you have to find what works for you. Some people can get by just drinking gatorade or the like instead of fuels. Its not enough for me. I for one gag on GU. I applaud anyone who can tolerate it. Its just a consistency thing. My favorite flavor and consistency wise is honey stinger chews, but I need all the salt in my Margarita shot blocks.

thank you so much for chiming in! I also have a sensitive stomach, particularly when it comes to running. If I push myself too hard then I definitely...feel it haha. My long runs are on the weekends so I'm typically just eating breakfast before my run which is usually rice cakes with peanut butter. So I think that in those instances fueling would really help. Especially because I'm also a sweater. I wear a knee brace and I have like calcified white salty-sweat stains where the brace is (TMI?). I'm going to have to hit up the local running store or maybe Dick's and buy a few different options and try them out! Plus I do drink water while I'm running. I try to get in like 20ish oz during the whole run. I'm not so sure I can stomach gatorade while running. It would probably need to be watered down.

And it's nice to know that I won't be the only crazy person that fuels while on the treadmill :rolleyes:

O76ixIG.gif

For snacks, I usually enjoy fruit or veggies with greek yogurt dip. I also have a piece of dark chocolate here and there. I've gotta get back on the wagon this weekend! I've been a little loose this week.

So in turn, I am 0% to my goal this week, as I haven't lost anything. Stay tuned!

Last night I had a cup of cocoa caramel sea salt herbal tea and 1/2 cup of sugar free, fat free instant chocolate pudding. It satisfies the sweet craving and is much better than cookies!

Sounds delish! I'll have to try that tea.

QOTD -- my fav snack is a deli sliced turkey breast wrapped around a pickle spear. Occ I'll have a sm serving of frozen yogurt. My go-to snack is a banana or Honeycrisp apples in season. I have one dark chocolate kiss if I'm craving chocolate or a diet hot chocolate.

All this mention of food is making me hungry. :)

Snacking is tough for me - and the only way I don't do it is to not have the food in the house. It's been tougher lately because the husband went grocery shopping without me and bought Red Velvet Oreos. They are so good and i'm doing my best to not eat them, but... they're so good :(

I'm going to do my weigh-in tomorrow. Been sick the last three days and ate half a large pizza yesterday. Woops.

Just did my weigh in-213.2 lbs so about 20% of my five lb goal.

Snack food-I'm not a big snacker unless there is some form of baked goods in the house. My favorite snack isn't a foot at all-it's root beer, cream soda or black cherry soda from Fitz's a brewery out of St. Louis.

Then, I took what I liked best (Clif shot blocks) to the gym and had it during a treadmill run, so a bathroom was close by;) In the end, my fuel of choice did not mess with me at all, and it really, really helped. I am a prolific and salty sweater. I come home crusted in salt from some outdoor runs. So, I use Clif Margarita Shot Bloks because they have 3x the replacement salt. Makes a huge difference.

The clif shot bloks are my favorite too! I sweat a ton as well and I find that they really do help. I just bought a multi pack so I can try the other flavors. Strawberry is my fav so far but it doesn't have any extra sodium or caffeine or anything. Still yummy though!

Some people can get by just drinking gatorade or the like instead of fuels. Its not enough for me. I for one gag on GU. I applaud anyone who can tolerate it. Its just a consistency thing.

Totally agree. The consistency is just so nasty... Consistency of foods is huge for me and I love crunchy snacks so the gu is the total opposite of what I find appealing.

My problems are oreos, grabbing the bag of chocolate chips meant for my yogurt and eating them by the handful, ice cream, oreos, chocolate chip cookies, oh and oreos;)
I love those Oreos around the holidays when they have peppermint flavored ones. I love chocolate/peppermint combo! And I DO THE SAME THING with the chocolate chips! I put them in my yogurt because they're yummy and crunchy... And then end up stealing them straight from the bag. We have similar snacking styles ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter