Finally re-booked trip. Now I'm feeling overwhelmed.

corinne76

DIS Veteran
We cancelled our Oct 2015 trip and finally rescheduled for Spring.

I had the hotels booked but was waiting on DH's boss to approve his vacation before booking the flight.
Well, now that it's approved, I realize I have a little over 2 months to plan. and I have do all the planning. Our last trip was 2.5 yrs ago, and we went with my friend and her family. So we planned together. This time it's just us. DH isn't into DL (I KNOW, right?!?) so he's leaving it up to me. The kids don't remember much so they have no real opinion on what they want to do.

So flight, hotel, tickets, shopping, planning, meals...ugh!

So awesome planners, where do I start? I've been keeping a list of notes and things to pack, but I'm starting to feel the pressure of planning for the parks. Like it's all up to me. I have this vision of getting there and DH looking at me going, "where to?" The pressure!

Also, we're usually one park til closing kind of guests. With the closures, you think hoppers would be better? My kids are 5 and 8 if that makes a difference. OUr plan is to be there March 30 Wed til April 3 Sun.

You are going during prime spring break week so be prepared for it to be crowded. Once hours are posted you can make a schedule. Get there early (before rope drop) and hit as much as you can in the first few hours before it starts getting crazy busy.

Since your kids are pretty little I would think Fantasyland might want to be your first stop, especially Peter Pan. The line for that ride can be super long later in the day.

Those dates are likely during the peak part of the Spring Break season (usually the week before and after Easter), which means expect large crowds, but the parks should have long operating hours and a full daily entertainment schedule. The schedule should be posted about 45-days/6-weeks in advance, but entertainment may not be added until much closer to the date. Dining reservations open up 60-days in advance (generally). While I don't think it's necessary to make dining reservations right at the 60-day mark, I do recommend making reservations if you know you want to eat at TS location.

In terms of attraction strategies, I would look the list of attractions and shows and determine which ones are the most interesting to you and your family. That will help you prioritize which attractions, shows, and other activities you want to do the most. The most popular attractions (at this point) appear to be HyperSpace Mtn, Peter Pan, RSR, and TSMM. I would use FPs for HyperSpace Mtn and RSR if possible. Peter Pan doesn't have a FP and that line tends to be long throughout the day. I would either save it for the last thing or try to get to it first thing in the morning (assuming you go on a non-EMH/non-MM day and are at the park pre-rope drop). For RSR, I would probably get the FP as soon as the park opens and then head to TSMM (if you like TSMM). TSMM doesn't have a FP, so it's another attraction that has a line that stays long for much/all of the day.

Given that is a very busy time - right around Easter - the 1st thing I would do is book flight as the price can increase as availability becomes less. Then once that is all done, I would work on finding the best place to buy park tickets. Only after those three things are taken care of would I take up any time in the actual attractions, which park which day type planning. Meals can only be booked 6 weeks in advance so that is not until mid February you can book. I would say, going when it's going to be packed, I'd most definitely do Park Hoppers!!

Are you planning on staying on site or off - if you stay on then you do get the EMH, which would be very valuable during Spring Break, but they are only worth it if you can be there, at the gates, ready to go before 7AM - as regular park opening would be 8AM I would imagine.

I am a little worried about the crowds. Our last trip was beginning of June, so we've never gone when it was slow. I did warn DH about the crowds, but he opted to go in April when it might be a little cooler than summer.

We are staying off site at Park Vue Inn so know EMH. We normally don't go back to the hotel mid-day, but maybe i can convince everyone to get up early, rest and head back later

I like the suggestion of making a list of attractions. I'll go over it with the kids.

I am a little worried about the crowds. Our last trip was beginning of June, so we've never gone when it was slow. I did warn DH about the crowds, but he opted to go in April when it might be a little cooler than summer.

We are staying off site at Park Vue Inn so know EMH. We normally don't go back to the hotel mid-day, but maybe i can convince everyone to get up early, rest and head back later

I like the suggestion of making a list of attractions. I'll go over it with the kids.
We've done 2 big trips at prime time spring break. It's really not a big deal, as long as you stay calm, adjust your expectations, and be prepared for lines.

I too agree with mid day break at this time of year as around noon you will notice the squeeze of crowds & it gives you energy for night time entertainment (rather than battling crowds all day and either not making it to evening or not having it be as magical).

Get a hotel close by or utilize the ART if further away. This is a life saver. Make dinner reservations!!! Expect to wait 1.5-2 hours for dinner if you do not make reservations.

Packing, sweatshirts, ponchos, zip lock bags for phones, snacks for kids, crayons & mini coloring for kids in your purse (most resteraunt a will not have these). Autograph books prior & quarters!!! Lots of quarter for penny press & so you can do laundry in needed.

I also agree you need to get airline tickets ASAP before prices increase even more, and desirable flights are taken. Book shuttle ahead of time from airport-don't waste money on car-unless traveling to other locations while there.

Hope this helps! Happy planning!

We've done 2 big trips at prime time spring break. It's really not a big deal, as long as you stay calm, adjust your expectations, and be prepared for lines.

I too agree with mid day break at this time of year as around noon you will notice the squeeze of crowds & it gives you energy for night time entertainment (rather than battling crowds all day and either not making it to evening or not having it be as magical).

Get a hotel close by or utilize the ART if further away. This is a life saver. Make dinner reservations!!! Expect to wait 1.5-2 hours for dinner if you do not make reservations.

Packing, sweatshirts, ponchos, zip lock bags for phones, snacks for kids, crayons & mini coloring for kids in your purse (most resteraunt a will not have these). Autograph books prior & quarters!!! Lots of quarter for penny press & so you can do laundry in needed.

I also agree you need to get airline tickets ASAP before prices increase even more, and desirable flights are taken. Book shuttle ahead of time from airport-don't waste money on car-unless traveling to other locations while there.

Hope this helps! Happy planning!

We reserved Park Vue Inn, so we're across the street. A mid-day break may be good. the kids may be too excited to nap, but it could decrease the chances of DH getting fussy :)

Great tip on bringing stuff for the kids. We want to do the BB Paint the Night package and I don't want them to get too restless.

oh and I booked the flight Monday! Yay!! As soon as DH told me his boss approved his vacation, I did it! We will be going to get groceries (DS and I have allergies) and leaving Anaheim and going to Carlsbad for a few days, so we will be renting a vehicle.

thanks! this did help

I'd maybe look into the touring plans site or their Unofficial Guide. Touring plans really help you get a lot done and since you're following a specific plan it eliminates the 10 minute "where next" stand-off after every ride. (That's pretty much the only thing that saved my sanity when I took my - mostly uninterested - inlaws to WDW.)

Also important in ride planning is the height of your kids. Some rides the 5 may not be tall enough for, so you either have to have an alternate for that child or eliminate that ride from the list.

We reserved Park Vue Inn, so we're across the street. A mid-day break may be good. the kids may be too excited to nap, but it could decrease the chances of DH getting fussy :)

Great tip on bringing stuff for the kids. We want to do the BB Paint the Night package and I don't want them to get too restless.

oh and I booked the flight Monday! Yay!! As soon as DH told me his boss approved his vacation, I did it! We will be going to get groceries (DS and I have allergies) and leaving Anaheim and going to Carlsbad for a few days, so we will be renting a vehicle.

thanks! this did help
We used Von's last visit, free delivery if you send 50.00. Had it delivered to hotel, scheduled it right after we arrived. It was really nice, had bottled water & all kinds of food/snacks etc delivered-super convienent & saved so much time.

We too rented car but waited to pick up until we checked out to save $ headed down to San Diego as well. Saved parking & renting fees for car on days when in parks (since we knew we would be too busy)

Oh another great tip-pack glow sticks for night time for kids, they loved them & it comes in handy when dark.

With valentines coming up, great time to do disney inspired gifts that can serve double duty for v-day & trip, things to use/bring or wear for disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter