Filters....use or don't use?

Thanks photo_chick, I have the same setup as caa1277 and a "nifty fifty" and was going to ask about a step ring. Is there any kind of deterioration in quality with them?

Sent from my iPad mini using DISBoards

The step rings can sometimes cause some vignetting, but that's it. The filter on it's own will contribute to image quality degradation, so if that's a major concern for you choose your filter wisely. (translation=get spendy)

The step rings can sometimes cause some vignetting, but that's it. The filter on it's own will contribute to image quality degradation, so if that's a major concern for you choose your filter wisely. (translation=get spendy)

I can't agree with this enough! I learned the hard way and I did not go for a 'cheap' filter - but I thought I'd save some $$ by going with a middle of the road known brand .... Trouble is, I only discovered how bad it was after I'd got home and had a good look at the photos on a large screen :headache: Needless to say, I ended up buying the one I should have bought to begin with (Photo Chick recommended B+W as a reputable brand in a previous post, and I support this recommendation :thumbsup2). So effectively I bought the darn thing twice and it ended up costing me more than just getting the better one to start with - and I still lost those photos!

Thanks, it's easier to justify one nicer brand polarizing filter (translation=get spendy) and use a step up ring than buying 3 filters for the different diameters my lenses have, luckily my 18-135 IS STM lens and my 18-55 2.8 ate both 67mm. If the vignetting isn't really bad it's not that hard to fix it in Lightroom or photoshop. I should also look into a circular polarizer.

Sadly I don't think I've used a polarizer since the film days. Maybe it's just because I was using cheap ones, back in my college days, and wasn't happy with the results (or too lazy to put them on :)). The reality is their is no excuse for this and I better pick one up along with 2 step up rings.

What impact does this have on lens hoods? My 18-55 came with a hood that attaches to the lens, not the filter screw area, but luckily they are my largest (at least for now) diameter lenses. Should I pick up a 67mm screw on type lens hood and use the step up ring to use it with others, or should I buy a lens hood for each size?

Sent from my iPad mini using DISBoards

I have a lens hood for each lens. It just works better for me. And even if two lenses are the same diameter one may use a regular round hood and the other might be wide enough to require a petal hood... it's never as easy as one size fits all.

More questions for you pros out there. What about the Tiffen brand of polarizing filters? Not worth buying or okay to go with?

Also, which is better and what is the difference between a linear polarizing filter and a circular polarizing filter?

Thanks!

what is the difference between a linear polarizing filter and a circular polarizing filter?

Both produce the same results, letting polarized light though. Most sensors in today's camera's will give improper readings with linear polarizing filters. You should check the manual for your camera but its very likely that the manufacturer specifies only circular polarizing filters.

More questions for you pros out there. What about the Tiffen brand of polarizing filters? Not worth buying or okay to go with?

Also, which is better and what is the difference between a linear polarizing filter and a circular polarizing filter?

Thanks!

Without any test data to go on I would guess that Tiffen's basic polarizer is ok as a mid-price filter. Even within brands there are different levels: uncoated; coated;special glass... Lacking data proably the best we can do is go by price and decide how high we can afford to go. For example, 77 mm B&W polarizers range from about $80 to $180, Tiffens start at about $40 and go to about $200 so there is a lot of overlap!

All polarizers start as linear but these can affect the focusing systems of some cameras (mainly dSLRs) that use a beam splitter. By adding another component (1/4 wave plate I think) the polarizer becomes circular and does not affect the focusing system.

Wow, didn't know about those specifics. I have some reading, research and learning to do. This is all new territory for me, but I'm excited to learn as I go. I appreciate everyone's help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter