• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fill me in on 50s Prime Time--should we try it?

We ate there a couple years ago and we all thought the food was really good. My DH wasn't a fan of the antics, so he doesn't want to go back.

After all the great reviews here I think we will be going when we go in August.

I am all for the antics and hoping to get a server who is into it as I plan on being in trouble:cool1:

I know my kids will get a huge kick out of dad being in trouble.

The food was ok...not fabulous. The experience was fun to do once. We will not be going again but glad we tried it.

We went last April and were very pleasantly surprised. DH and I have pretty high standards for dining out and the food was good for disney. I live in the south & eat at lots of meat & threes. It's on spar with the average places, I think. Our waiter was hilarious. He picked on my MIL the whole time which greatly annoyed her. It was great :) in fact, it's the one restaurant that DH asked me to be sure to book on our upcoming trip.

we ate there on a trip to Disney World about four or five years ago. It wasn't great and since we were trying new restaurants every trip it's not one that we've gotten back around to trying again. I've heard of people having great experiences so I really would like to try it again.

My family has always enjoyed our food at 50s Prime Time. Nothing fancy ... just comfort food.

We usually visit each trip, not a must-do but we like it. The pot roast and chicken are our favourites. We are not interested in the antics and have never had an issue. I think the servers can sense when people just want a meal.:thumbsup2

i hit Prime time every trip. Unusally about half way thru my trip when i am ready for a home style meal. the CM interaction is great...especially if you start to play along right from the beginning....like.. HI I AM COUSIN MARY, AND WILL SHOW YOU TO YOUR TABLE... then we get like...WOW MARY HAVENT SEEN YOU IN YEARS etc etc.. and they know you "GET IT" and will play along... nothing special EI; chicken meat loaf chicken pot pie is great etc. IF YOU NEVER WERE THERE I WOULD TRY IT ONCE... but be in the mood to play along :yay:

i hit Prime time every trip. Unusally about half way thru my trip when i am ready for a home style meal. the CM interaction is great...especially if you start to play along right from the beginning....like.. HI I AM COUSIN MARY, AND WILL SHOW YOU TO YOUR TABLE... then we get like...WOW MARY HAVENT SEEN YOU IN YEARS etc etc.. and they know you "GET IT" and will play along... nothing special EI; chicken meat loaf chicken pot pie is great etc. IF YOU NEVER WERE THERE I WOULD TRY IT ONCE... but be in the mood to play along :yay:

Oh, I am so going to do that! We've never eaten here but it will be our first Disney meal on arrival day. :) I'm sure my 14 year old son will be a little embarrassed with the interaction but think he'll get into it eventually.

It is high-priced comfort food.

Yes, the quality is good. And expensive.

The best reason to go is for the wait staff. If you get a good waiter, you'll be talking about it for years. If you don't, you'll feel like you paid a lot of money for meatloaf.

on one trip the CM told my niece - who was 18 - she could not have dessert because she didnt eat her green beans (didnt like them) she said ok i guess...the cm comes back with a plate behind her back..i could see because of where i was sitting...and she said "grandpa said because you ate everything else you can have dessert" and put a small plate of green beans covered in whipped cream in front of her... hysterical we laughed about that for years

another time there with a friend ..we were eating and the CM had a guest with him...ATTENTION ATTENTION EVERYONE THIS IS COUSIN MARY FROM VIRGINIA.AND IT IS HER FIRST TIME HERE...EVERYONE SAY HELLO COUSIN MARY... everyone yells hello cousin mary...then he announces SINCE MARY DIDNT EAT HER VEGGIES SHE HAS TO BE PUNISHED...AND SHE JUST GAVE ME HER CREDIT CARD SO SHE WILL HAVE TO PAY FOR EVERYONES DINNER.. the room went crazy laughing..poor mary almost had a heart attack i think..

another time a father was sitting with a baseball cap on and was told to go stand in the corner...his kids went wild...

sometimes the show alone is worth the money HIGHLY RECOMMEND :banana:

If the decor and theme is what interests you, it is just a crap shoot. We have eaten there several times, and have had great servers, and servers who did nothing special at all. The food is good comfort food, and nicely portioned. The milkshakes are very good also. My wife and I ate there on our honeymoon, and our server began to cry because we did not send an invite to the wedding. Lol. On our next trip my wife was expecting our first child, so we made sure to take an invitation to the shower with us for our server. She giggled a bit, was she was just not as "in character" as our previous server. I would say give it a try, especially if you on the DP

On past trips I've never been interested in dining here, but for some reason it's tempting me this time. How's the food? Atmosphere? Mostly concerned about the food. Do you find it good quality and look forward to going back, or is it just a decent meal that's a one-and-done restaurant that you don't revisit?
Thanks everyone!

For us it's a must. We love the fun atmosphere. and our group of 15-20 people ( depending on the trip ) all *love* the food here. It's all good down home kind of stuff. Pot Roast, meat loaf, Fried chicken ( DW *raves* about their fried chicken ).

On past trips I've never been interested in dining here, but for some reason it's tempting me this time. How's the food? Atmosphere? Mostly concerned about the food. Do you find it good quality and look forward to going back, or is it just a decent meal that's a one-and-done restaurant that you don't revisit?
Thanks everyone!

Hi,
Specifically to your points...

The food is good quality. It is on par w most Disney food, which is good in general (by theme park standards). This is no exception. Fried Chicken and Meatloaf meals. Filling portions. Of course you will overpay and get ripped off enjoying a meal that would cost $12 at a real diner but you'll pay $24 and like it because that is Disney World -- half of what you pay is about what it's worth, and the other half is simply because it's a Disney property.

The atmosphere -- was enjoyable... not necessarily a one-and-done, but as long as there are other restaurants to keep trying and exploring, I don't see a compelling reason to come back here before trying most others. Then again that is true of most restaurants. I've only found a few that are so unique that they warrant going back to on multiple trips... like the Royal Table, or 'Ohana Breakfast with Stitch.

Overall, it's worth going. Most kids would really enjoy a fried chicken dinner and shake. If going w only adults then no this wouldn't be on my list.

It's pretty much a must do on every trip for me, either with the kids or without. The food is good (I really enjoy the meatloaf and the chicken, although the chicken can sometimes be a little salty) and as has already been said, a good server makes it lots of fun.

S'mores dessert is yummy and if you happen to be on the Disney Dining Plan you can get a milkshake as your beverage! I would say go and give it a try!

I went for the first time on my last trip and will certainly go back. Our server was great. My cousin was drinking his tea very fast so he brought three extras. He also told my cousin to put away his walkie-talkie(cell phone). The server was very entertaining but didn't over-do it. The food was yummy and portions large.

We had the opposite experience when we went in December . On past occasions we had gone with friends so there was a party of at least 5 , and the experience/interactions were great.

This time however there were only the two of us and we're we're put in the far back corner of the restaurant, the other larger tables were getting lots of interaction and fun while we got nothing, to add to the bad experience I opted for the milkshake and this didn't appear until I was halfway through my entree .

I raised the issue with a manager and was asked what they could do to make it right .. I asked that this be looked at ... as the main selling point of this restaurant is the atmosphere and interaction with the staff ... which should apply to anyone eating whether it's a large or small party

It has made change our opinion of this restaurant from a once definite .. To a maybe for future visits

Not a must-do for us, but we do go every couple of trips. It's a fun atmosphere. The food has always been on-par for what I expect out of a mid-level table service at Disney. I like it because while I CAN make the comfort food, it's not something I do very often, if at all, so it ends up being a treat. The milkshakes and desserts are good.

The antics can be everything from over the top to non-existent, so each time is a bit of a toss-up in that department. Usually there are some fun moments throughout out dinner either for your table or one nearby. If you go in expecting (or not expecting) antics, though, it can be a disappointment. Definitely worth giving it a try.

We've actually never been to DHS but are considering 50s Prime Time or Sci-Fi for our next trip.

Thanks everyone!

Literally just walked out of there. It was bad. I mean, if you just need calories to get through your day and you have meals to burn, whatever. But don't expect anything better than high school cafeteria fare.

They are fast...i will give them that. Not hard when literally nothing is being made to order.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter