• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fifth Wheel Hitch

stacktester

DIS Veteran
In the next week I take delivery of my new 5'er. It's a 2008 Keystone Cougar with the toy hauler garage.

My question is I got the Pullrite auto slider hitch and we installed it but I am not going to be able to take it out alone. I've heard people leaving it hooked to the camper and then lowering it back down when needed and mount it back in.

I'm sure my disfriends will know how to help me.

Donnie

Donnie, when I had my Superglide, I picked up a utility cart that was as high as the tailgate of the truck. Whenever I wanted to remove the hitch, I would roll the cart up against the tailgate, remove the hitch head, lift the hitch body from the rails, slide it back to the tailgate and then onto the cart. I would then put all of the pins in a plastic box, take out the rails and place them on the cart. I would then roll the cart into the garage.

When I needed to install it, I would perform the steps in reverse. I could do all of this by myself without issue. Hope this helps!

Duane

Dang good idea. I knew I'd get some good feedback. I think I could get one of those carts from Harbo Freight or the likes and put it in the shed.

Thanks

I got no glide...but can't you just remove the pins from the rail and let it hang from the king pin......

Buying a cart(think beer fund) plus storing seems like too much of a hassle for the few times you need to use the truck without the hitch...

I'd hang it...;)

Duane's idea sounds great. I have heard and read where plenty of folks do let it "hang" from the kingpin. I have never tried either, the hitch just stays in the bed of the truck.

I got no glide...but can't you just remove the pins from the rail and let it hang from the king pin......

Buying a cart(think beer fund) plus storing seems like too much of a hassle for the few times you need to use the truck without the hitch...

I'd hang it...;)

I now have a Pullrite Super5th which is also a non slider and for the most part light weight. I can pick it up from the ground and place it in the truck by myself (with the hitch head removed). However, the SuperGlide that StackTester has is heavy. It probably weighs close to 200lbs. That would be alot of weight and stress on the hitch head to hold....

I use a chain hoist to lift it out of the bed and just drive out from under it. I suppose my engine hoist would work also:confused3 :confused3 dang know you got me think'in

I think it is ironic that when I googled this question on the internet the dis camping forum was the 1st place it took me. You guys are rock stars! Alan is now in hot pursuit of a utility cart. I am in hot pursuit of a strong man to hoist the hitch from the ground to the cart. I pay in beer:drinking1

I know this is way old, but my dad mounted a block and tackle hoist from the ceiling beam in his garage.

We have used both a cart and slide it off the tailgate and left it hooked to the camper. For us, it depends how long before we're going to be using it again. IF you decide to hook it to the kingpin, make SURE you put a lock on it so it cannot be released. If some kid comes along and decides to release the pin from the hitch it could be a very bad, possibly deadly situation.

Unrelated to your question, we also lock our hitch when we're hooked up. Years ago my DH was a long haul driver and has seen idiot people pull a "joke" by releasing someones hitch and letting the trailer fall on the rails. Not funny by our standards in any form or fashion.

Congrats on the new 5er!!!

I mounted a 6' long I-beam to the ceiling of my shop and put a 1k lb electric chain hoist with a push trolley on it. It works great for unloading heavy things like a generator out of the truck. I don't have a fifth wheel, but it would work well for lifting a hitch.

Convert it to a goose neck and the only thing in the bed of the truck is a 2 5/16" ball and you can even get a turn over ball so there is nothing in the bed.

I have the B&W Turnover Ball in my truck with the Companion 5th wheel. It leaves nothing in the bed when the hitch is removed. Colibert even makes a slider 5th wheel hitch that uses the B&W Turnover Ball.

I have the B&W Turnover Ball in my truck with the Companion 5th wheel. It leaves nothing in the bed when the hitch is removed. Colibert even makes a slider 5th wheel hitch that uses the B&W Turnover Ball.

B&W is the same one I have I just forgot the brand. I like it better then the old weld in. Its a lot easier removing your ball.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter