Fewer requests=more chance of free upgrade?

Houston_Disney_Fan

Mouseketeer
We just got back from a week at the Poly. Normally, I load the reservation with a lot of requests (near the elevator, 3rd floor or higher, nice balcony, etc.) This time, I didn't request a single thing, and was absolutely floored to get a free upgrade to concierge level in the Hawaii building. Does the lack of requests give them more latitude to do this? Anyone else had the same experience?

No, I wish I did. I try not to ask for requests, so I am not disappointed when I start my vacation. I will be staying at the Poly the week of Aug 10, I hope I am as lucky as you. :yay: :yay: :yay:

You sure got pixie dusted. I cant tell you how many times we have been to the Polynesian and never have gotten an upgrade. One year we went 3 times and nothing!! Oh well. I never ask or expect it. Hope you had a wonderful trip.

We will be staying at the Poly from 8/10-8/16 and hope we're just as lucky!

What room category did you reserve? And were you upgraded to the same category but CL?

We reserved a theme park view room and requested Tahiti 3rd floor (there are only 3 non-CL buildings that have theme park view rooms). I wonder if the upgrade has to do with an overbooking in a certain room category. Or if it's able to be done because it isn't as busy.

I had reserved only a garden view room, and we got a room overlooking the Quiet Pool, on the third floor. A very nice room, and we enjoyed the meals and snacks in the lobby very much. Lawrence in Concierge was quite helpful
with reservations and suggestions of how to enjoy the parks. They even extended our stay, at the garden view room rate.

It was an incredible stroke of luck, and/or magic. I'm afraid they've spoiled us now, and we will always want to stay Concierge!

I don't think so. Last June I booked woods view at the WL and was fairly specific in requests as I wanted to be high enough up on the north side (at least I think it's north) to see the Wishes fireworks. Upon arrival, we received a free upgrade to courtyard view.

Now that I think of it... maybe they just did it so they wouldn't have to worry about filling all my requests! ;)

Seriously, though, it's all about availability and the mood of your check-in CM. If a better level is available, I think it's generally offered no matter what you've requested (under the assumption that most guests would rather be upgraded than get their requested location on a less expensive level).

Seems completely random to me. If you really want a specific room category, the easiest thing to do is just reserve what you want. That's exactly why we reserved a theme park view room.

Seems completely random to me. If you really want a specific room category, the easiest thing to do is just reserve what you want. That's exactly why we reserved a theme park view room.

That's what I do, I figure just book what you want and there is no rom for a dissapointment :)

Based on what several Cast Members have told me any free upgrades are not the result of no requests on your original reservation. I was told when the Cast Member enters your name into the computer at check-in, that is when a thing will come up saying this guests gets a free room upgrade. So the OP I would say you got very lucky with the upgrade you got, so it had nothing to do with the fact you made no requests.

I have always been lucky I guess..(pre DVC)..with upgrades..garden to Lagoob at GF(actually a view of MK)....garden to Lagoon view at YC...never made requests.
At YC Club level though, I just a King..we ended up with a great room, view and balcony:)
Personally, whomever the room assignor is....I just think its easier to "move" people with less requests!

I look at it as a completely random occurance, like winning a dream, and am not expecting anything on our upcoming trip. If we do get an upgrade to CL, GREAT! If not, we still got a room with a view of the MK :cloud9:

I dont think it matters, we have gone without requests, with requests, for holidays, for special occasions and have never received an upgrade...

After reading the thread, I guess we've been more fortunate than I realized. We've received a free upgrade on 2 of our 4 checkins over the last 4 years. Woods to Courtyard once at WL and Standard to Savannah once at AKL. Both free upgrades were in June.

We've stayed at most of the deluxes, all of the moderates and all of the values. I've never requested anything more than a quiet visit or a nice view. We have never been upgraded at all. We've never even received a preferred room at the moderates or values. I've even asked at check in if I could maybe get a king bed and have been told numerous times that it would cost me extra for it.

Does the lack of requests give them more latitude to do this? Anyone else had the same experience?

Congrats!

To answer your question I don't think making no or few requests guarantees you anything. Of course if you have requests they are going to do what they can to meet your requests so they would be more limited on any possible upgrades. We've never requested anything and while our upgrade wasn't anywhere near yours we did go from a std. view room at CBR to a waterview where we could see the 'lake' from our room - great room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter