Few things I've noticed.....here now!

wow glad you all are so perfect you never leave home without ID- but maybe she doesn't drive, maybe her husband has his license if they need it for credit cards...maybe a lot of things- bottom line is if you travel half way across the country, you have a $2,000 vacation planned and you don't have your ID- then Disney needs to figure out what to do with you, saying tough luck isn't the answer...and just for the record I am human and do not always have my driver's license on me...it would a simple thing for them to put in bold on the info page, the planning pages, and yes definitely the tickets page- "ID now required for every adult"- will it prevent every case of no ID? no, but it would help people be prepared

Can I just add that for many overseas visitors this may mean carrying their passport into the parks each day, not a very good idea.

She never indicated to the security guard that she had drove her and I strongly disagree. That is none of disney's business. Disney may ask for ID, but I think there are several other options rather than an ID. If you are staying on site your name is on your card, and there are several other forms of information that has your name on it. I don't believe they need a picture ID as it is really the issue of whether your name is the one on the ticket.

And honestly, I would have been appalled at the thought that she left her license at home and drove without it.

Seriously? "Appalled"? You are aware that the physical holding of the license has nothing to do with whether she is a legal driver, or a competent driver, right? If you aren't holding your license and you get pulled over (or in an accident) they might write you up for a small ticket. But they probably won't. They can check your status on their computer.

As for the person wondering about how they can identify your unconscious body - um...by looking at your cell phone.

I sometimes carry my ID. I sometimes don't. I don't give it much thought.

junmatno said:
I agree with you! And I would have asked that same question as the guard!! How are you going to use a credit card with no ID? What happens if your child gets lost and they want ID to prove who you are???!!! Some of these people complaining about this is crazy. Even if you DON'T use a credit card, you should always have ID on you. God FORBID something should happen to you, what if they can't identify you and you are unconscious? Just get over it and pop an ID in your purse/wallet/husbands wallet/diaper bag/backpack!!!!

Yep! You never know what can happen. Just carry ID people... And I feel that goes double on a trip, if you end up unconscious the first thing EMS will look for is ID. We are in the digital age and all medical records are going electronic and are being tied together so if you turn up in an ER in a strange place they will know your history. Better to be safe then sorry!

I'm pretty sure I left my ID in the hotel safe last time we went. I brought only the bare essentials with me into the parks. I'm glad I know about the ID being needed now, as I'd probably do the same for our upcoming trip.

wow glad you all are so perfect you never leave home without ID- but maybe she doesn't drive, maybe her husband has his license if they need it for credit cards...maybe a lot of things- bottom line is if you travel half way across the country, you have a $2,000 vacation planned and you don't have your ID- then Disney needs to figure out what to do with you, saying tough luck isn't the answer...and just for the record I am human and do not always have my driver's license on me...it would a simple thing for them to put in bold on the info page, the planning pages, and yes definitely the tickets page- "ID now required for every adult"- will it prevent every case of no ID? no, but it would help people be prepared

Where did I say I was perfect? I never said that. You are correct, maybe she doesn't drive but that doesn't mean she doesn't need ID of some type for some reason. And if she's traveled halfway across the country then she absolutely should have some type of proof of who she is! And if she flew then she had to have ID to board the plane....
I carry my license in a small wallet that fits in my pocket, my bra or my boot so no matter what I always have some kind of proof of who I am just in case.

She never indicated to the security guard that she had drove her and I strongly disagree. That is none of disney's business. Disney may ask for ID, but I think there are several other options rather than an ID. If you are staying on site your name is on your card, and there are several other forms of information that has your name on it. I don't believe they need a picture ID as it is really the issue of whether your name is the one on the ticket.

No, your name isn't on your "card" at DL because DL doesn't do KTTW like WDW does. Besides, that's simply a name, I can tell you my name is anything but without a photo ID I have no proof. The name on your park hopper is simply a name, there is no photo attached to confirm it is you who is trying to use the ticket. Without asking for a photo ID to confirm someone can simply buy a 6 day hopper, put any name on it and tell the person who buys it and uses it fraudulently to use that name for the day.

" ... no adult should leave the house without some type of ID"

Oh, my.

No, no adult should leave the house without a photo ID. What if there is an accident and you cannot speak for yourself? How do they know who you are? Emergency workers (my Dad is an EMT) stress this all the time, if you have ID the police/hospital can pull up information on you and you can get the help you need in a timely manner.

Seriously? "Appalled"? You are aware that the physical holding of the license has nothing to do with whether she is a legal driver, or a competent driver, right? If you aren't holding your license and you get pulled over (or in an accident) they might write you up for a small ticket. But they probably won't. They can check your status on their computer.

As for the person wondering about how they can identify your unconscious body - um...by looking at your cell phone.

The ticket is not small and yes the likelihood is that you will get a ticket, even if they can look you up on their computer to confirm the legitimacy of your license. And ummmmm they wouldn't be able to ID my body with my cell phone as it is locked and emergency workers won't be able to access it. I take my purse or wallet when I leave my home, otherwise how do I pay for things? LOL

Look, if you want to leave your ID at home fine, that's on you but I'd rather not be a Jane Doe or in a coma in the hospital without my family knowing where I am. The what-ifs are enough for me to take my ID wherever I go.

I can tell you from family memeber experience that the ticket is far from small, at least in my state. As someone else pointed out, in terms of ID, a cellphone is probably one of the least reliable ways to identify someone.

Bottom Line is if Disney wants to ask people coming on to their property for ID they have every right to do so. While you may actually not legally have to carry an ID with you at all times, I would guess you have to be prepared to deal with the consequences of not having one when it might be needed. It's a small peice of plastic (passports a different story) how hard can it be to carry with you?:confused3

Just an FYI for those that say it wouldn't be fair to make visitors from other countries carry their passports... they actually have to... I had to do some digging to find the law, but here you go:

IMMIGRATION AND NATIONALITY ACT
Sec. 264. [8 U.S.C. 1304]

(e) Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him pursuant to subsection (d). Any alien who fails to comply with the provisions of this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall upon conviction for each offense be fined not to exceed $100 or be imprisoned not more than thirty days, or both.

Which is why when we are abroad any time we leave the resort/hotel grounds, we all have our passports on us. Other countries are probably even more strict than the US.

Just an FYI for those that say it wouldn't be fair to make visitors from other countries carry their passports... they actually have to... I had to do some digging to find the law, but here you go:

IMMIGRATION AND NATIONALITY ACT
Sec. 264. [8 U.S.C. 1304]

(e) Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him pursuant to subsection (d). Any alien who fails to comply with the provisions of this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall upon conviction for each offense be fined not to exceed $100 or be imprisoned not more than thirty days, or both.

Which is why when we are abroad any time we leave the resort/hotel grounds, we all have our passports on us. Other countries are probably even more strict than the US.

Eesh...the ignorance.

You are aware, are you not, that visitors to Disneyland DO NOT HAVE TO APPLY FOR PERMANENT U.S. RESIDENCY?*

*Although I'm sure, after getting off Space Mountain, some seriously consider it.

Eesh...the ignorance.

You are aware, are you not, that visitors to Disneyland DO NOT HAVE TO APPLY FOR PERMANENT U.S. RESIDENCY?*

*Although I'm sure, after getting off Space Mountain, some seriously consider it.

Sorry if you think it is ignorant... but this is the law that will be cited if you are asked to show proof of residency and can not come up with a passport if you are traveling in the U.S. As I have found on multiple websites in the last few minutes of researching.

Eesh...the ignorance.

"US Federal Law requires that all foreign nationals carry immigration documentation - e.g. a passport showing that you have leave to enter or remain – at all times while in the USA. Some States (Arizona, Utah, Indiana, South Carolina, Georgia and Alabama) introduced legislation designed to identify and reduce the number of illegal immigrants in their States. These measures include authorisation for police officers to detain individuals they suspect of being in the United States illegally. Although some of the measures are being contested in the courts, it is important that you have your documents available for scrutiny if you are asked by law enforcement officials to present them wherever you are in the United States. ."

This is taken from the British Foreign & Commonwealth Office (government) website. She may not have quoted a correct law but still lets not jump to conclusions when you may not know the full extent of passport laws either.

When people are visiting from abroad, they're suppose to carry their passports with them at all times. It's the same as when an American travels abroad, we're suppose to carry our passports with us at all times.

As an adult you should have id with you. But hey we're all human and sometimes don't think about it.

I agree with posters who say one should carry a photo ID at all times on their person. It's not just law in many places, it's also common sense.

I also agree with whomever said Disney should clearly print in bold lettering on their tickets that one must show ID at the gate for any ticket that requires such. I think Disney can and should do a better job of informing customers that they must carry an ID, especially in advance of ticket purchases. They should better inform customers who are looking to buy tickets not just on site at the booths, but also online, in stores that sell them, etc.

I do think that if a guest gets stopped at the gate for lack of ID and does not have access to theirs, that maybe they could be sent to guest services or somewhere else where they can provide an alternate means of proving their identity, e.g. providing address, phone number, other personal information that can cross-referenced within a system database. Such a system may have some flaws, such as people having access to all that information after buying a used ticket, but I think it will still be able to stop a larger number of ticket fraud uses while allowing legitimate guests to still enjoy the parks. I realize guest services would be overrun with these requests if this were to happen, so I'd want Disney to create a separate window for this sole purpose, but I know this is asking a lot and probably won't happen for logistical problems.

In any case, if Disney can get the word out more about bringing photo ID, there will be little to no reason any guest would show up without one, eliminating the need for a database, etc.

Oh goodness, in my previous 16 trips to the US I've obviously been breaking the law, I wonder if that's the same in all the European and Asian country's I have traveled in. Please lets be sensible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter