• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Few Questions

andi_b_2005

Earning My Ears
I have a few questions to ask; I am trying to plan a possible trip to Disney World in 2009.

My first question is what are the crowds usually like in early to mid May?
Is the park hopper option necessary, or do you usually stay in one park?

What have anyone's experiences been with taking a two year old to Disney? I am getting a nephew this May and he will be 2 when I would be going and I would love to take him, but my parents took me there when I was two and they remember me being awful. So I don't know if anyone has any good reactions that would influence my decision to include him.

Thanks for your help!

I have a few questions to ask; I am trying to plan a possible trip to Disney World in 2009.

My first question is what are the crowds usually like in early to mid May?

What have anyone's experiences been with taking a two year old to Disney? I am getting a nephew this May and he will be 2 when I would be going and I would love to take him, but my parents took me there when I was two and they remember me being awful. So I don't know if anyone has any good reactions that would influence my decision to include him.

Thanks for your help!

Crowds are OK in May.

Hoppers can be purchased DURING your trip, so you don't need to buy them UNLESS you want them.

Some folks take babies. Others feel that 4-5 years is a better time for all involved.

weather is usually good that time of year...go before end of month as many schools out then...

IMO..leave the 2 year old home ...they won't remember it...hard to wait in lines...many things scare them....

I'm going in early May too. Never been in May before so I'm worried about crowds too. I would only get park hopper if your gonna be there less than 4 days so you could at least get to see all 4 parks. I took DD3 in December and she loved it. She was scared of some attractions, but for the most part everything worked out fine.

We have gone a few times in May and really enjoyed it. Our early May trips had short waits and rarely did we need to use FP. Our experience has been the earlier the better, each week seems to get a little busier. The weather has been great for us during May as well. Good luck with whatever you decide!

I'd take the 2 year old. We took our son a month before he turned 2, and he had a blast. Remember it? Probably not, but the sights, the sounds, he was interested in everything. Melted down at dinner a lot, but that's because mom and dad weren't ready for that, not his fault. :)

BTW, been in mid-May in the past, weather was wonderful, crowds were fairly low. And, we're park hopper types, but it isn't necessary.

Congratulations on the upcoming nephew! Definitely a reason to go to Disney! I have not been in May so I am of no help there but regarding Park Hoppers....taking a 2 yr old is work enough....add park hopping into the mix and you could have total melt down! I would recommend a nice slow pace with one park a day...then some quality food and resort pool time!
Good luck and have a blast planning!

Took my son for his 1st birthday (yes, it was all about us) but we also had 2 sets of aunts and uncles, and most importantly, Grandma and Grandpa. If you have other adults going with you, I'd say give it a go. The little ones are so cute when they see the lifesize characters. But, that being said, they get overwhelmed quickly. They get tired. And the reason we see so many cranky kids and adults at dinner time, is because of the cost of these magical vacations, parents try to cram everything in to the day to get money's worth, and everyone's tired and short tempered with each other. Our son went back to the resort each afternoon for peace and quiet. Grands took care of this mostly for us, as they go to WDW often, but we all took turns. If you can swing this, everyone will have a great time. If it's just you, think twice or be prepared for a tired little prince. Good luck in your planning!

You really should buy the Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World. It has an entire chapter called 'WDW with Kids' devoted just to your question about taking a two year old.

My vote: fuhgeddaboudit!

Thanks everyone, I definitely wouldn't be able to take him by myself. The grandparent, and maybe the parents and one of my friends would be there as well. However I will have to think it through some more, I still have plenty of time to decide and plan.

Thanks for all your help!

Speaking specifically to this, my wife and I highly recommend the park hopper option. We like (and take advantage of) the freedom of being able to go to any park at any time.

It is also helpful if you plan on making dinner reservations for restaurants that are in the parks themselves. For example, we might spend the morning/afternoon at the Magic Kingdom and then head over to MGM for dinner at Hollywood & Vine and then the Fantasmic show. If you don't have park hopper, then you wouldn't be able to do this (well, you could but it would mean using up 2 1-day passes). You're kinda "forced" to go to the park that you've made your dinner reservations for.

Just something to think about. The party you go with and the pace you plan to take should help to make the park hopper decision easier for you. As someone else mentioned, you can always add this option after you've gotten your base tickets.

- Dave

Also, keep in mind that since your nephew isn't born yet, you have no idea of what kind of temperament he'll have. I might have considered taking my dd to WDW when she was two, but I never would have taken her twin brother. He's very sensitive to noise and crowds. When we went this past Jan., both of them were 5 and it was still very overstimulating to him. He had fun, but he also hung back and didn't want to attempt as much as his sister. If you're nephew turns out to be a laid back, outgoing kind of kid, I'd say age two would be fun. If he's a little more high strung, I'd wait. There's a lot to do at Disney with a two year old, but so much more with an older child.

Well, I think May is a great time to go!!

I also think the Park Hopper is not necessary, the only time I like it is if we have had a fairly easy day, go back to our hotel room to rest a bit, then choose a different park for that evening, otherwise, we tend to do just one park a day.

And I vote for yes to taking a 2 year old. No, they won't remember it, BUT, it's so sweet to see their little faces light up at all their surroundings! The music, the lights, the fun, it's just a picture you won't soon get out of your head!! :cloud9: Most two year olds know the characters by that age and to see them see their favorites is just priceless. Go and have fun!! But....2 years away? Ohhhhh that would be SOOO hard to wait for!

If you don't have park hopper, then you wouldn't be able to do this (well, you could but it would mean using up 2 1-day passes).

Actually, Disney specifically forbids this use of a pass. They will not allow you to use another entry to visit a second park in one day. You would have to add the hopper option to do it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter