Few questions before I finish my London trip planning...

goofy4tink

No tags...not needed! Transportation moderator
So, my friend and I fly in on Nov 9..early morning, from Boston. We fly into Heathrow, then head to our hotel..The Academy on Gower St. We're there until Friday, Nov 13 (yikes!!!), when we take the train up to Edinburgh. Staying at No. 53 Frederick St. there. We hope to take a day tour, on Sat, the 14th, out to the Highlands and such. We fly back to Stansted Airport on Sunday morning, on Ryanair. I have tickets for the coach from Stansted to London Victoria.
We'll be joining my dd and her friends during the week when they go off on various student stuff. My friend and I have both been to London before. She merely wants to get down to Wimbledon...huge tennis nut.
Any thoughts as to a decent tour company up in Edinburgh? Also, best way to get from the train (Waverly I believe) to our hotel, and then back to the airport to fly back to London?
I haven't booked the train up north yet...too early. Any advice as to that? I'm not looking to spend a ton....looks like fares are pretty decent, at least the prior week is! I'm assuming the next Friday should be similar to the previous one, right?
Is there anything I need to know, or to look out for? Just two slightly crazy middle-aged ladies wandering around the UK!!! I have an Oyster card from about 6 yrs ago...I assume I can just reload it, at Heathrow? Or is there a better way? My friend has suggested finding an alternative method of getting to our hotel vs the very long Tube ride, with changes. Any thoughts there?
Thanks everyone for any help or advice you can give us.

I've not been to Edinburgh since my honeymoon (30 years ago now - eek!!)

You don't need to change tube from Heathrow - get the Piccadilly Line to Russell Square and you will have less than 10 minutes walk to your hotel in Gower Street.

I haven't booked the train up north yet...too early. Any advice as to that? I'm not looking to spend a ton....looks like fares are pretty decent, at least the prior week is! I'm assuming the next Friday should be similar to the previous one, right?
I would do it as soon as possible, usually, the earlier you book the cheaper it is. If you don't mind about the duration, you can make stops and change, which will often reduce the cost. Check http://www.thetrainline.com/

I have an Oyster card from about 6 yrs ago...I assume I can just reload it, at Heathrow? Or is there a better way?
It Should still work, and yes you can top up at Heathrow if you are are going via the Piccadily Line into central London

My friend has suggested finding an alternative method of getting to our hotel vs the very long Tube ride, with changes. Any thoughts there?

I can't think of anything cheaper than tube or train except National Express Coach. Heathrow just isn't fun to travel to and from :)

Thanks all. Thanks for the Picadilly line info! I have no issue using the Tube. Friend likes something quicker even with the addtl cost!
I can't book the train until tomorrow....it's looking like 41£ pp. That's seems pretty good. The big reason for the train is so we can see some of the countryside between London and Edinburgh.
I can't wait to get there.

Thanks all. Thanks for the Picadilly line info! I have no issue using the Tube. Friend likes something quicker even with the addtl cost!
I can't book the train until tomorrow....it's looking like 41£ pp. That's seems pretty good. The big reason for the train is so we can see some of the countryside between London and Edinburgh.
I can't wait to get there.

You could rent a limo lol

That is very good value. It'll be like riding the Hogwarts Express :)

I have no issue using the Tube. Friend likes something quicker even with the addtl cost!

I'm not sure that any of the other options would be much if any quicker than the tube. Heathrow is quite a long way out from central London and once you take account of the traffic a taxi would not be much quicker but would be a lot more expensive. The express train comes into Paddington which isn't very convenient for your hotel and would mean more tubes or a taxi once you were in central London. As long as you can manage your luggage on the escalators the tube is probably your best option.

Options for getting from central Edinburgh to the airport are:
A bus - you should be able to buy a ticket on board unless they've changed it recently
The tram (probably easier with luggage than the bus) - you just buy your ticket on the platform
A taxi - the most expensive but quickest way

I'd get the taxi if you're in a hurry (it's cheaper than the one from Heathrow to central London) and the tram if you're not.

I'm not sure that any of the other options would be much if any quicker than the tube. Heathrow is quite a long way out from central London and once you take account of the traffic a taxi would not be much quicker but would be a lot more expensive. The express train comes into Paddington which isn't very convenient for your hotel and would mean more tubes or a taxi once you were in central London. As long as you can manage your luggage on the escalators the tube is probably your best option.
Oh man....those escalators!!!! Yep, I can handle my bags on them...it's a life skill. And yes, I remember to stay to the right!!!!! I think the tube is the best option. Better way to spend my money.

Options for getting from central Edinburgh to the airport are:
A bus - you should be able to buy a ticket on board unless they've changed it recently
The tram (probably easier with luggage than the bus) - you just buy your ticket on the platform
A taxi - the most expensive but quickest way

I'd get the taxi if you're in a hurry (it's cheaper than the one from Heathrow to central London) and the tram if you're not.
Thanks...that seems easy enough. A tram sounds perfect!!!! Terrific.

You've all been so helpful!

When we were in Edinburgh a couple years ago we booked a tour with About Scotland Day Tours - Ricki Henderson was our guide and it was a fantastic day. He picked us up in his van and took us to Stirling Castle, Doune Castle, and Loch Lommond. . . . He was delightful!

When we were in Edinburgh a couple years ago we booked a tour with About Scotland Day Tours - Ricki Henderson was our guide and it was a fantastic day. He picked us up in his van and took us to Stirling Castle, Doune Castle, and Loch Lommond. . . . He was delightful!
That sounds just like what we're looking for! thanks.

The tram is a nice journey out to the airport, £5 per person and you can get it from Princes Street.

Two recommendations for the Friday and or Saturday evenings are Mary King's Close for a tour of underground Edinburgh.

http://www.realmarykingsclose.com/plan-your-visit/opening-times-and-prices.aspx

or head towards Edinburgh Castle and pick up a Murder and Mystery Tour at the Witchery by the castle.

http://www.witcherytours.com/

Neither of these have to be booked so you can see how you feel at the time. Sadly I will be away that weekend or I would have been happy to show you around a bit.

The tram is a nice journey out to the airport, £5 per person and you can get it from Princes Street.

Two recommendations for the Friday and or Saturday evenings are Mary King's Close for a tour of underground Edinburgh.

http://www.realmarykingsclose.com/plan-your-visit/opening-times-and-prices.aspx

or head towards Edinburgh Castle and pick up a Murder and Mystery Tour at the Witchery by the castle.

http://www.witcherytours.com/

Neither of these have to be booked so you can see how you feel at the time. Sadly I will be away that weekend or I would have been happy to show you around a bit.
Thanks! We'll look into those. We've booked a tour with Rabbies for Loch Lomond and the castles for Sat...so will be looking for something to do on Friday afternoon and evening.
Would have been nice meeting a DISer from the area!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter