• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Few ?? bout my October trip - HELP please!!!

suzy25mr

Earning My Ears
My father and I are going to WDW again from Oct 26-30. We originally booked the Caribbean Beach Resort, but since it will be closed, we got a great deal and are now staying at the Polynesian! (big thanks to Tammy at Dreams Unlimited!) :p
We are going to the Halloween Party, as well.

We stayed at CBR in Sept '00 for my bday and had a great time - except for the weather! It was so hot and humid! Don't get me wrong - we're used to the HHH here in DC (Hazy, Hot, and Humid) - it's a staple for our summers here. We just weren't prepared. So, here're my questions:

1. What kind of weather can we expect (to have a better idea on what to wear)?
  2. What kind of crowds can we expect (I know it'll be more than usual cuz of the Party)?
  3. Any special tips for checking in at the Poly (I've looked at the threads, just wanted to include here)?
  4. Any other tips for us?
    [/list=1]

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Disney, here I come!

One more question: How do I add a count-down thingy in my sig?

suzy25mr
One more question: How do I add a count-down thingy in my sig?

(wave) Can you see me waving at you from over here in Northern VA? :earsboy:

You can get your count down thingy over in the Tech Support section under the category of "Get your countdowns here!". The directions are excellant (even I was able to do it!)

Click here to go to the Tech Support Board

-DC :earsboy:

Originally posted by dcfromva
suzy25mr

(wave) Can you see me waving at you from over here in Northern VA? :earsboy:

You can get your count down thingy over in the Tech Support section under the category of "Get your countdowns here!". The directions are excellant (even I was able to do it!)

Click here to go to the Tech Support Board

-DC :earsboy:
Actually, I'm in Northern VA! I'm in Alexandria/Springfield (Kingstowne to be exact!). Thanks, as you can see, I got my timer in! :D

We go mid-Oct. every year because the humidity usually breaks by them. Crowds are relatively low and the weather is hot but not humid and unbearable. It's our favorite time to go!

We stayed at the Polynesian in October two years ago, and loved it! You're lucky to get the upgrade. We stayed in the Tokelau building, and had forgotten to request a non smoking room. The room we were given was a smoking room, and we asked to be moved. No problem, they moved us to a floor above, and we got non smoking garden view, with a balcony....and could actually see the lake, space mountain, and Cinderella's Castle from our balcony. I felt very fortunate.

The weather when we were there was very hot and humid....we bought the spray water bottle/fans and used them a lot. We wore bathing suits under our clothes, and when we encountered any of the occasional water spray fountain areas in Epcot, or MK, we were ready to get wet! It rained a couple of times, but never got cool at all. Have a great trip!:cool:

We usually travel in Oct... and it is unpredictable!
to answer your questions 1-4:
It could be HHH as you said... but then again it could be cool/warm and comfortable. No matter what... take a light jacket, sweatshirt or sweater becuase if the temp. does break... it will be cooler in the evenings.

2. Crowds will be light... the party is at nighttime!

3. Polynesian is great! remember though... the closer you are to the lake... the further you are from the parking lot and monorail... so be prepared to run in the rain! (Like it ever rains in Orlando... right???)
Don't be afraid to ask if the concierge level is avail. you might get an upgrade for a very small $$ amount! Keep fingers crossed!

4. As far as other tips? Enjoy the time with your father... what a great time! Make sure you do special times together and take time to stop and enjoy the time together!. the garden behind England, Dessert at Beaches & Cream, Watching the electric light pageant on a hill beside Poly while you discuss life... Dinner at Cinderella's Royal Table or one of the countries at Epcot... and for heaven's sake... there are two MUST DO's with your dad...
1. Get your EARS monogrammed at the hat shop in the town square at MK &
2. Get your pictures taken with Mickey & Minnie!

Two priceless treasures for many, many years!

have a great time!

Melissa

Originally posted by deevku
We stayed at the Polynesian in October two years ago, and loved it! You're lucky to get the upgrade. We stayed in the Tokelau building, and had forgotten to request a non smoking room. The room we were given was a smoking room, and we asked to be moved. No problem, they moved us to a floor above, and we got non smoking garden view, with a balcony....and could actually see the lake, space mountain, and Cinderella's Castle from our balcony. I felt very fortunate.

The weather when we were there was very hot and humid....we bought the spray water bottle/fans and used them a lot. We wore bathing suits under our clothes, and when we encountered any of the occasional water spray fountain areas in Epcot, or MK, we were ready to get wet! It rained a couple of times, but never got cool at all. Have a great trip!:cool:
What part of October did you stay? I've read in different places that the weather usually breaks about mid-October. Geez - hope we're as lucky as you to get that kind of view (but like I said, it's not that important since we'll be spending almost all our time in the parks). ;) Thanks for the info!

Originally posted by magical4u
We usually travel in Oct... and it is unpredictable!
to answer your questions 1-4:
It could be HHH as you said... but then again it could be cool/warm and comfortable. No matter what... take a light jacket, sweatshirt or sweater becuase if the temp. does break... it will be cooler in the evenings.

2. Crowds will be light... the party is at nighttime!

3. Polynesian is great! remember though... the closer you are to the lake... the further you are from the parking lot and monorail... so be prepared to run in the rain! (Like it ever rains in Orlando... right???)
Don't be afraid to ask if the concierge level is avail. you might get an upgrade for a very small $$ amount! Keep fingers crossed!

4. As far as other tips? Enjoy the time with your father... what a great time! Make sure you do special times together and take time to stop and enjoy the time together!. the garden behind England, Dessert at Beaches & Cream, Watching the electric light pageant on a hill beside Poly while you discuss life... Dinner at Cinderella's Royal Table or one of the countries at Epcot... and for heaven's sake... there are two MUST DO's with your dad...
1. Get your EARS monogrammed at the hat shop in the town square at MK &
2. Get your pictures taken with Mickey & Minnie!

Two priceless treasures for many, many years!

have a great time!

Melissa
It's funny you mention some things:

1. I did know to pack the light jacket - cuz my dad told me the same thing! ;)
2. I was hoping the crowds would be lighter. If you mean DTD for the party, that's not on our "schedule" (unless a group I like will be playing the HOB). If you just meant MNSSHP, then just pop me on the head. :p
3. I really would prefer to be near the monorail. I just don't think we would worry about the concierge level - it's doesn't appeal to me. I'm an independent kind of person and didn't even let "mouse"keeping in to clean the room when we stayed at CBR - I just packed up my used towels and they gave me a prepared bag of new towels, soap, and shampoo. :cool: Is there something the concierge can do that might appeal to me?
4. I told my travel agent that the most important PS was for Cinderella's Table - my dad just wasn't prepared last time and we couldn't get in for my birthday. Cinderella is my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE fairytale! I can't wait!
:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc
5. I'm hoping they'll be having the electric light parade this time - we were both looking so forward to it last time and they didn't have it (or fireworks either)! :mad:

Ok, that's it. Thanks for all your help!

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by deevku

The weather when we were there was very hot and humid....we bought the spray water bottle/fans and used them a lot. We wore bathing suits under our clothes, and when we encountered any of the occasional water spray fountain areas in Epcot, or MK, we were ready to get wet! It rained a couple of times, but never got cool at all. Have a great trip!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What part of October did you stay? I've read in different places that the weather usually breaks about mid-October. Geez - hope we're as lucky as you to get that kind of view (but like I said, it's not that important since we'll be spending almost all our time in the parks). Thanks for the info!

We've been there twice, both times in the first few weeks of October. As for view, we thought it wouldn't mean much to have it, but when we saw the Contemporary, Space Mountain, and the Castle from our balcony, it definitely added to the "magic" for us!

Originally posted by suzy25mr

2. I was hoping the crowds would be lighter. If you just meant MNSSHP, then just pop me on the head. :p

Yes... MNSSHP was what I meant! The crowds during the party should not affect your day time trips to the parks! :D

3. I really would prefer to be near the monorail. Is there something the concierge can do that might appeal to me?

I't not really what the concierge can or can't do... it is the benefit of the concierge lounge. The snacks throught the day can save you quite a bit of $$. Might be worth the upgrade. it also depends on the season... and how much you like to eat quick and easy. Now... if you like having someone else make you reservations and call for your car etc.. well then concierge is a bonus! IE: They can help get you ressies for difficult restaurants.

4. I told my travel agent that the most important PS was for Cinderella's Table

Make sure you follow the instructions on this site for getting ressies for CRT! It helped me. I have them for our trip... only because I called at 6:58! I would have missed out if I had waited any longer!

5. I'm hoping they'll be having the electric light parade this time

They have the spectromagic parade this time. Look on Deb's site for the schedule. I think it is www.wdwig.com Try that and see. I know it is happening on the 26th during our stay. It may be on Sat. night during yours as well. The fireworks should follow the parade!

Good Luck! And May your trip be magical!:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter