• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ferry question Tortola and St. Thomas....

ICEMANPAD

The Turkey Day Gang sails again.
We took an excursion once in Cozumel that involved taking a Ferry. It was extremely rocky. There were people getting sick all around us. The Ferry operators passed out many sickness bags and buckets. My family said never again after that experience.

We are debating excursions to St. John from St. Thomas and to the Baths in Tortola. My family is worried because both excursions involve ferry rides. Please let us know if the rides are smoother than the ferry in Cozumel.

Thank you.

I rode the ferry to St. John from St. Thomas in Sept. 2014 and I don't remember it being rocky at all. No one was getting sick that I know of.

We took the Ferry to the baths last summer.

My son who gets motionsick pretty easily was fine.
I don't remember it being particularly rocky at all.

I do remember another child being ill on the pier when we got off, though.

It really depends on the weather. I have taken the ferry from St. Thomas to St. John multiple times. Most were uneventful rides with hardly any waves. There was a time we were on the car ferry and it was like we were in a massive wave pool. It was really choppy but kind of fun. I don't recall anyone getting sick that time.

It is a bit bumpy in the middle but manageable. It is a much quicker ride as in time versus Cozumel and there is sites to see. I loved the St. John's tour and shopping.

We took the ferry from St Thomas to St John and it was a bit bumpy. We were fine, but there were some big drops in the front from the waves.

In 2004 we had my 80 somethings mom and aunt with us so we took the St. Johns tour and really enjoyed it. I didn't notice any problems on the boat over and the boat captain or tour guide provided lots of interesting info on the area enroute between the islands.

We did the ferry to Virgin Gorda and the baths in May. Our ferry on the way over was very old and slow. It was rocky. Several people became sick including one poor boy who tried to lean over the side and let's just say the wind blew towards the back of the boat.:scared1:
On the way back we had a newer ferry and it was a very pleasant ride.

Thank you all for responding! I would love to go to St. John and to the Baths. Unfortunately, my DH and DS are concerned. We appreciate the feedback.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter