Feminist Dis Fans?

Bigwands

Mouseketeer
I generally try to moderate my comments in most internet spaces that aren't specifically feminist to avoid arguments and such, but it's occurred to me that I can't possible be alone in such a huge community. So, just out of curiosity, any other feminist Dis fans want to say hi?

I generally try to moderate my comments in most internet spaces that aren't specifically feminist to avoid arguments and such, but it's occurred to me that I can't possible be alone in such a huge community. So, just out of curiosity, any other feminist Dis fans want to say hi?

Absolutely. Proud feminist here. People who don't consider themselves feminists generally either don't understand the meaning of the term (it's about equality) or are actively misogynists (not much you can do about that except avoid!)

sorry forgot that OP re-post policy... And Tavie I do agree that feminism seems to have negative connotation with alot of people. They picture bra-burning man-haters, but in reality we all are just wanting to stand on equal footing... I didnt really even consider myself to BE a feminist until I had 2 daughters and realized that there was alot of progress to be made before they would be able to live in a world that doesnt try to box them in or actively try to hold them back

Hi! I am a feminist and have been so since the early 1980's! Technically the 1970's if you count being taken to demonstrations by my mom! I spend almost every vacation at Disney trying to rein in my "princess" issues and hope Disney soon creates a female character who is a surgeon or a physicist. Won't that be awesome? Let's keep the pressure on!!! Until then, I will continue to ask little girls questions like, "Are you Dr. Belle? Are you an Oncologist? You can save people's lives!!! Polite feminist subversion of the dominant paradigm!

Absolutely. Proud feminist here. People who don't consider themselves feminists generally either don't understand the meaning of the term (it's about equality) or are actively misogynists (not much you can do about that except avoid!)

Hi TravieP

I am a male and consider myself a "feminist" because I actually understand the meaning of the term and thank you for pointing that out. Yes, it is equality for ALL genders although the term is a misnomer. I am over gender-roles, gender-bias, gender-stereotypes, ect... I cannot believe that our "technologically advanced" civilization still likes to tell people what they can and cannot do and how they should act based on their genitalia. Ok, rant over. But proud MALE feminist checking in.

Hi TravieP

I am a male and consider myself a "feminist" because I actually understand the meaning of the term and thank you for pointing that out. Yes, it is equality for ALL genders although the term is a misnomer. I am over gender-roles, gender-bias, gender-stereotypes, ect... I cannot believe that our "technologically advanced" civilization still likes to tell people what they can and cannot do and how they should act based on their genitalia. Ok, rant over. But proud MALE feminist checking in.

I see where you're going, but it's not technically a misnomer. It's called feminism because females are the marginalized group the movement was initially - and still is - trying to improve life for (now bear with me for a second here). The problem is that people hear that and assume we want to throw everyone under the bus (and some do. Susan B Anthony anyone?) or that we're trying to take away another's rights (probably because it's difficult to imagine a world with out a patriarchy so they substitute a "matriarchy"). Basically it's still feminism because it's about furthering the interests of many women and these women want a better world for EVERYONE - men, people everywhere on the gender spectrum, and people of all orientations. At least that's how I try to explain it because shouting "THAT'S WHAT WE CALLED IT IS THIS REALLY SUCH AN IMPORTANT ISSUE" at people is under-productive (not that I wanted to shout at you). End of my rant.

I see where you're going, but it's not technically a misnomer. It's called feminism because females are the marginalized group the movement was initially - and still is - trying to improve life for (now bear with me for a second here). The problem is that people hear that and assume we want to throw everyone under the bus (and some do. Susan B Anthony anyone?) or that we're trying to take away another's rights (probably because it's difficult to imagine a world with out a patriarchy so they substitute a "matriarchy"). Basically it's still feminism because it's about furthering the interests of many women and these women want a better world for EVERYONE - men, people everywhere on the gender spectrum, and people of all orientations. At least that's how I try to explain it because shouting "THAT'S WHAT WE CALLED IT IS THIS REALLY SUCH AN IMPORTANT ISSUE" at people is under-productive (not that I wanted to shout at you). End of my rant.

Hi Bigwands

I completely agree with you. While equality for all is important at the end of the day things are still harder for women. I just wanted to explain why a "male" feminist can exist (lol). It is nice to be able to connect with other people who share in similar ideals =)

Just because I am a man and old does not mean that I do not support women's rights. Any man that has a daughter should be for women.
When I was in the Army ,I was a First Sgt. I was the top enlisted person in my company. My commander was a woman who's was out of the first class that came out of West Point . She was one of the best commanders I ever had in my 20 Years in the Army. Women fight and provide protection every day. It is beyond me how you could be anything but a feminist.

Just because I am a man and old does not mean that I do not support women's rights. Any man that has a daughter should be for women.
Very well said. I am a man too but I have a 2 year old daughter and, quite frankly, I'm terrified for her. I'm terrified for her body image as a pre-teen, for her objectification by guys like the 19-year-old version of me, and for the obstacles she'll face in her career. I wouldn't consider myself to be a feminist (egalitarian maybe?) but maybe I am, for her sake?

I don't know what the issue is with defining oneself as a "feminist" if you are male. The term "feminist" has nothing to do with acting or being "feminine" or seeming "feminine." All "feminism" has to do with is support equality for men AND women; i.e. pro women's rights & gender equality. I would like to think most of the men I have in my life are feminists, because they want gender equality. You don't have to burn your bra to be a feminist, or even WEAR a bra, you just have to want equal rights for all genders. :thumbsup2

Threads on the Welcome Board should be primarily for introducing yourself, saying "Hi" and asking general trip planning questions. Having a thread for those with a common interest to introduce themselves in is great but if this thread continues to be more of a discussion on this topic it will have to be moved to another board.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter