Fellow DINKS-- I need advice --> DCL or Disneyland

Lady Marie

DIS Veteran
DH and I are a young married couple with no kids--- and no plans for kids for a while.

Long story short, my DH and I had a really nice (read expensive :eek:) trip to Central Europe planned for the end of this year. We decided to postpone it until next year when we will have the money to do it up the way we want to and not leave anything undone. I'm not heartbroken bc I would rather do everything I want all in one go than always feel like I need to go back a certain place IYKWIM.

So now, we are going to half the budget of that trip and do something else this year in the meantime.

We are looking at a Caribbean cruise (probably DCL, but maybe not) or Disneyland (and other surrounding Southern Cali things). We are FL res so can't exactly predict what the rates will be like for DCL in Sept but if they are similar to what is showing now for May, then we can definitely go much cheaper than our Europe plan.

We will also have airline points to "pay" for our flight out to Disneyland-- so I am really at a stalemate here as far as budget. If one were clearly cheaper, it would be a no brainer, but they are going to cost about the same (cruise being just a little more).

Another thing to consider is the Diamond Jubilee stuff looks awesome (I should add I have only been to DL once when I was 3 and only remember bits and pieces, DH has never been-- but then again we have never been on a cruise either...).

Have any other couples done either or both and could share their thoughts and opinions of the experiences as a couple or adult without children?

I know it ultimately boils down to what we want, but at this point in my planning process, any feedback would be MUCH appreciated to help me see pros and cons on both and hopefully find a direction!

Thanks in advance! :)

I'm in my late 20s with no kids, and my vote is Disneyland. I just went on a 3-night DCL cruise last month, and while I enjoyed it, I definitely prefer Disneyland over it.

I've not been to DL since 1976 so I may be a bit biased but I say DCL. DH and I have no children and have done 8 DCL cruises (the first in 2000 and the last one in 2013) and will be going on the 9th one in July. Stay in the adult-only areas, do the later dining. The service is great and the adults-only areas are quiet and relaxing. If you're able to stay awake long enough, you can then do the adult-only bars and lounges in the evenings. We're usually up early in the gym so we're dead by 11 pm. Book a spa appointment (I recommend the Couple's experience or the Exotic Rasul on board the Magic). Do some of the adult-only activities. It's way more relaxing than a day at the parks. We'll get out to DL eventually but every time we look at it, we end up deciding to either do WDW or DCL or combine both.

I'm an AP holder, live local to Disneyland and visit nearly every week. I'm also a big DCL fan and cruise once maybe twice a year. As much as I enjoy cruising with Disney I would definitely lean towards visiting Disneyland for the diamond celebration. Cruising with Disney will always be an option for you and probably more convenient based on your location and your Florida resident rate. Nevertheless the diamond celebration will only happen once and although it will run for a while probably not last as long as fans would hope.

To me it would be a no-brainer, Disneyland only turns 60 once but DCL is not going to be leaving FL. There is so much to do at DLR that we can't do at wdw. The rides are different; Pirates and BTMR are even better at DL. The Haunted Mansion should have the Nightmare Before Christmas overlay in September. Don't forget Cars Land that we don't have here. DCL will always be there; take the opportunity to be a part of DLR's Diamond Jubilee.

Yes, Cars Land is a big plus for DH who is a huge fan! Also, the overlays seem so fun. I wish WDW did stuff like that.

I am still doing all my research but thank you all so much for all of your input!

I dont know what a DINK is, but I would choose DCL. Loved it!! Kids or no kids, it is a wonderful trip.

I dont know what a DINK is, but I would choose DCL. Loved it!! Kids or no kids, it is a wonderful trip.

DINKS - Dual Income No Kids.... basically the couples that people generally can't understand why they are going to Disney being that there are no children in the picture at all, except for on here where we find acceptance! :rotfl:

At any rate, thanks for you input on DCL, all the promo material seems super moused up and obviously that's not a problem, but I didn't want to feel out of place being without kids :-)

I live in California and go to DL ALL the time. I'll be there for the 24-hour event when they'll reveal a bunch of new things (new world of color, new fireworks show, new Condor Flats, hopefully new Grizzy River Run, maybe updated Splash Mtn). I have to say DL is pretty special. Depending how much time you'll be spending in SoCal, there's a ton of things to do! As you said you're a young married couple with no kids, hopefully I can offer some unique advice and input as I'm probably in or near the same boat (28, no kids).

First off is lodging. The 3 Disney properties (Disneyland Hotel, Paradise Pier, and Grand Californian) will all be quite expensive. There's an event called Dapper Day, however, which offers insanely good deals at those 3 hotels. The fall 2015 date is September 18th and you can score rooms at the Disneyland Hotel for 209/night or the Grand Californian for 250. I HIGHLY recommend one of those 2 resorts IF it's your DH's first time and you haven't been since you were 3. If you're unable to travel that weekend and score one of those rates, I still recommend looking at those resorts. The proximity to the parks, comfort, ease, etc, all put way ahead of staying offsite at a cheaper motel. While there are a TON of hotels/motels offsite and around Anaheim, if this is a once in a random trip to DL and you want to do it right, stay on site. I recommend the Disneyland Hotel. They recently remodeled the whole resort and it's quite stunning.

Since I don't want to ramble for too long, I'll give you the nutshell version of what my friends and I MUST DO every trip.
-Trader Sam's Grotto (Polynesian-themed tiki rum bar located at the Disneyland Hotel). Great for a drink and place to relax
-Big Thunder Ranch BBQ (Disneyland park). All you can eat chicken and rib buffet with beans, corn bread, etc. Enough said
-Cove Bar (Disney California Adventure). LOBSTER NACHOS. It's kind of tucked away on Paradise Pier but make the effort to go there and get those nachos.
-World of Color (California Adventure) It's their nighttime show and is undergoing a complete overhaul. When you go it'll be running. It's awesome
-Cars Land (California Adventure) Radiator Springs Racers is the biggest ticket ride on property. Get there early and fast pass or run right to it, it's well worth it

Finally, here are some rides that I think are much better in DL than in WDW. If you go to WDW a lot, you obviously have these rides engraved in your mind. It's always fun to ride them elsewhere and see how they match up. I find these differences:

Pirates of the Caribbean - MUCH better in DL. It's like 15 minutes and a blast.
Space Mountain - there's debate on this but they play music on the DL version and it's faster
Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters - for some reason they totally messed up this version in WDW. This DL ride is a classic. Bring you're A game

Hope this helps!

I live in California and go to DL ALL the time. I'll be there for the 24-hour event when they'll reveal a bunch of new things (new world of color, new fireworks show, new Condor Flats, hopefully new Grizzy River Run, maybe updated Splash Mtn). I have to say DL is pretty special. Depending how much time you'll be spending in SoCal, there's a ton of things to do! As you said you're a young married couple with no kids, hopefully I can offer some unique advice and input as I'm probably in or near the same boat (28, no kids).

First off is lodging. The 3 Disney properties (Disneyland Hotel, Paradise Pier, and Grand Californian) will all be quite expensive. There's an event called Dapper Day, however, which offers insanely good deals at those 3 hotels. The fall 2015 date is September 18th and you can score rooms at the Disneyland Hotel for 209/night or the Grand Californian for 250. I HIGHLY recommend one of those 2 resorts IF it's your DH's first time and you haven't been since you were 3. If you're unable to travel that weekend and score one of those rates, I still recommend looking at those resorts. The proximity to the parks, comfort, ease, etc, all put way ahead of staying offsite at a cheaper motel. While there are a TON of hotels/motels offsite and around Anaheim, if this is a once in a random trip to DL and you want to do it right, stay on site. I recommend the Disneyland Hotel. They recently remodeled the whole resort and it's quite stunning.

Since I don't want to ramble for too long, I'll give you the nutshell version of what my friends and I MUST DO every trip.
-Trader Sam's Grotto (Polynesian-themed tiki rum bar located at the Disneyland Hotel). Great for a drink and place to relax
-Big Thunder Ranch BBQ (Disneyland park). All you can eat chicken and rib buffet with beans, corn bread, etc. Enough said
-Cove Bar (Disney California Adventure). LOBSTER NACHOS. It's kind of tucked away on Paradise Pier but make the effort to go there and get those nachos.
-World of Color (California Adventure) It's their nighttime show and is undergoing a complete overhaul. When you go it'll be running. It's awesome
-Cars Land (California Adventure) Radiator Springs Racers is the biggest ticket ride on property. Get there early and fast pass or run right to it, it's well worth it

Finally, here are some rides that I think are much better in DL than in WDW. If you go to WDW a lot, you obviously have these rides engraved in your mind. It's always fun to ride them elsewhere and see how they match up. I find these differences:

Pirates of the Caribbean - MUCH better in DL. It's like 15 minutes and a blast.
Space Mountain - there's debate on this but they play music on the DL version and it's faster
Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters - for some reason they totally messed up this version in WDW. This DL ride is a classic. Bring you're A game

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much for your detailed answer. I had forgotten about Dapper Day!!!! That sounds like fun! Ok, off to do my research!

Me and Dh don't have kids and have done both, while two completely different holidays we loved both for different reasons, DL felt very special (added by the fact we got engaged) and we spent a wonderful 3 days in the parks but if I were to pick between there and a Caribbean DCL, I'd have to go with the cruise. We went on one last January for my 30th and it was one of our favourite trips yet, the food, the staff, the service, the whole cruising experience, there was just nothing I could complain about and we loved the adult only areas especially on Castaway Cay which has to be one of the most beautiful places I've ever spent a day at

Disneyland...No question about it!! If I'm going to do Disney for a vacation, I'm not going to spend it on a ship. Sorry DCL lovers. I'm sure your cruises are special to you. But I love my parks. I'm a DLR local, and a WDW vet. You can't go wrong visiting Walt's original park, and the newest domestic Disney park.

My DH and I have done both around the same age are you are. If you have never been to DL then I would say do it. It is VERY different from WDW thought. Give yourself other stuff to do while you are out there.

That being said I would always go for DCL. Because you are FL res you will be able to get a good rate if you wait to book. You might be able to afford a 7 day cruise instead of a 3/4 day.

DH and I are currently DINKS ;)

I think I would choose DL. I LOVE DCL but sometimes touring the parks is just so much more fun. The fact that DL celebrates an anniversary this year is even more appealing.

I think it boils down to this: do you want to relax and chill (DCL) or tour (DL)?

Ultimately it's what kind of experience you prefer. DCL sounds more relaxing and laid back whereas Disneyland would involve more go getting and theme park touring. I can tell you that my girlfriend and I just spend a couple days at Disneyland for spring break and had an incredible time. I now truly believe for any WDW fan or Disney fan in general, going to Disneyland is a must. I have never been on a cruise but I can guarantee a trip to Disneyland will be worth it (even if its a big more exhausting). Either way you decide, have a great time!

I vote Disneyland and Southern California as well! I think it's a must for every Disney fan to visit Disneyland, and this is the year to do it with the Diamond Celebration - from what I've seen it's going to be awesome!!! I just did a whole article in my blog about why WDW fans need to visit Disneyland: http://jollyholidaywithsuzanne.com/...t-disney-world-fan-needs-to-visit-disneyland/

I am super passionate about both parks, but Disneyland is always going to be a favorite, and it's just an added bonus that it's located in Southern California, where you can easily extend a 5 day trip into a week or more. Good luck planning!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter