Feels like the first time all over again! (DLR after time off pre-trip)

bumbershoot

DIS Veteran
Hey there!

I'm Molly, the hubby is Robert, the kid's name (Eamon) is said with a long A and then a "mun". I homeschool the kiddo and DH works and travels for work. I used to say he travels half the year but recently they've backed off on that. We traditionally get lots and lots of airline miles and hotel stays from this. :)

I try to tell the whole story, I try to not sugarcoat things (not even my stupidity), I go off on tangents, and sometimes I'm prickly and/or I just don't say things the right way. Now you know me. ;)

I used to write trip reports all the time, but have backed off. I get home, other things are going on, I just don't have the time or mental energy. And it was starting to feel weird, to write reports (DL, Universal, WDW, cruises) that told everyone where we had been, etc. I was getting paranoid or something. Not sure what the something was. But it didn't feel right for a little bit.

But here we are, going back to DL. I still can't totally believe we'll be there, but we will! My boy, who is now 11, is a dancer, and got a partial scholarship to go to a big dance thing in Southern California. I figured that he might never get that again, so why not go for it? We still had to pay a chunk of money, and the hotel for it isn't going to be pretty either, but... And very recently I've realized that I'm going to be surrounded by dance moms. But it's more than that. It's going to be dance moms from competitive studios...eek! See, DS dances with the YMCA, which has a really solid dance program, but they don't compete. They try to be fair and kind and they praise the LOVE of dance over other things. The moms (and a few dads) of the dancers there are all very supportive and nice. And from what I've experienced at conventions, it's not quite the same in other studios. (dad of 7 year old taking video of her, going over footage with her as she sobbed and sobbed makes up one of my convention memories...) And here I'll be, an observer, with none of MY buddies. I think I'll be going through a LOT of wine over that week... This is my friend, her name is Merlot and this is Malbec...

So since we'll practically be there already, and it turns out DH is being sent to the area for work just before DS's and my trip, so we figured he could just stay there and we'll take a few days to hit Disney after the dancing is done.

So...just at the end of July, we have plans for the Hilton Anaheim. Given that one of the last times we were at DL we stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn way the heck down Harbor near Target, walking from the closer Hilton is no problem. We've had two one-night stays there and really liked it, so we're psyched to see what 4 nights will be like.

We don't have park tickets yet. I have NO Anaheim plans yet. I keep forgetting that we're going! Wheeee! I do have plane tickets there and back, so that's good. I have the price for a shuttle written down, though maybe DH can go take lunch from his work trip and pick us up instead. Then he finishes work the night before the dance thing is done. So there are a few other transportation options we haven't worked out but in the last few years I've become much more easygoing about that stuff. Last year we got to follow him to England and Ireland, and after worrying about trains and planes and such and finding that it ALL worked out beautifully, some of that anxiety has gone by the wayside.

I'm having to remind myself of things like WHAT exactly is Magic Morning? Crazy things like that. :)

disneyland.com to the rescue.

With Magic Morning, an early admission option, Disneyland Resort Guests (with valid 3+ day ticket) enjoy one early admission (during the duration of theme park ticket or Southern California CityPASS) to select attractions, stores, entertainment and dining locations in Disneyland park for one full hour before the parks open to the general public on select days.

And...

Magic Mornings at Disneyland Park are available during these select days:
  • Tuesday, Thursday or Saturday

So that answers that.

We're thinking of upgrading to an AP since we will be participating in events at the Star Wars Half in January. It only makes sense financially. (just a bit painful LOL) But waiting until Tuesday, when we'll be there on Monday, to use the MM means we can't upgrade until Tuesday. We do like the discounts... So I'm sure that Monday early at DL, Tuesday early at DCA (they are opposite, right?), etc will work?

Wow, what rides won't be open for us? (from disneyland's site, Starcade and Blue Sky are closed but that's IT?)

And really, why do these show up when I sign into my disneyLAND.com account?

My Plans Change There's been a change to your FastPass+ selection for The Barnstormer on 01/11/2014. Visit My Plans for details.

Good news––your MagicBand package is on the way! Your package is being sent via US MAIL PARCEL POST and your tracking number is abcdefghijklmnop.

You've successfully added a ticket to your account! Visit My Reservations to view admission entitlements. If you need help, visit the Ticket section of the Help Center.

You've successfully linked a ticket for YourBestBuddy! Visit My Reservations to view admission entitlements. If you need help, visit the Ticket section of the Help Center.

My Plans Change There's been a change to your FastPass+ selection for Expedition Everest on 11/09/2014. Visit My Plans for details.

WHY?

I leave them there on disneyworld.com because it's funny, but why are they on LAND?

OK so Robert just said "it hasn't been that long" since we've been there. I disagreed. Until I realized that we were there for the Disneyland Half just last Labor Day. OK OK but that was a San Diego trip with a run in it. And I'm a total freak when I'm getting ready for a Half, and I hurt afterward. (would help if I trained more) So I really do not remember the trip. Or much of it? Right now all I can remember is the Half Marathon part. He's telling me the story of the trip right now. :)

I remember nothing.

I found some pictures, but I took very few. I remember blips. Yeah, I think I need to lay off the Half Marathons while on disney trips...

Is Luigi's totally gone now? Yes, it seems so.

It really feels like we haven't been there in a hundred years. Crazy!

I just happened to see a post by you, and just happened to scroll through your sig looking for anything new, and here you are.

Ok fine, I'm one of the stalkers.

o_O

:)

Forgot all about this. See, Nancy, this is why I stopped writing them! I have about a quarter of a TR about Universal from January that I should finish someday.

I'm having a really hard time believing we're about to be in SoCal. Not even 2 days away and I don't have airport transportation arranged, for instance.

I wish there were a way to turn off signatures for any given post. Like I used to do in my TRs.

Two years ago July was fine.

This week has NOT been fine. Nearly got to see me mentioned in the news under a headline "brawl under the sea" because of flash photos. And people acting like I'm invisible. And the heat. And everything.

Ugh.

Sitting at the Hilton Starbucks waiting until our shuttle time. Can't wait for this trip to be over.

Sigh. I hate feeling like this. :(

Oh no!

The flash photographers are the worst. My kids will even start loudly commenting on flashes. "Why don't those people KNOW that flash photos are ANNOYING TO EVERYONE ELSE AND RUINING THE RIDE?????"

I remember both of us reminiscing and romanticizing DLR as being so much better/more than WDW. Don't tell me that DLR has lost its charm and is now as bad as WDW? We are so looking forward to our upcoming trip. If you don't want to post your thoughts here, will you PM or email me? (I think you know my email address, but if not PM me and I will tell you again....)

Crowds.
Heat.
60th anniversary.
Belatedly realizing that I should have planned for downtime with my brother rather than "up"time in Anaheim after the dance conversation.

And honestly I didn't plan much. I truly did not expect those crowds. There are many new things, and some things that are gone, that I wasn't expecting.

The night we were there too long and were fighting to get OUT before the fireworks, when crossing the hub and looking out on the OCEAN of people there, I was astonished. I have literally never seen that many people in one place in my life.

I want you have your fabulous trip. I want this to be a one-off thing that won't happen to others. I want to believe believe believe that this was a me thing and not a DLR thing. And a me this time thing. Because we'll be there in January for Star Wars rundisney weekend. And we have APs. That we bought. Before entering the parks. So it HAS TO BE BETTER in the future. :)

In case you haven't planned, PLAN. Find out what's new. Find out what to expect. Bring cooling towels and misters, seriously. Bring hats and personal air conditioners LOL. Get there early (we never did). Do not, whatever you do, try to leave the park within an hour of the fireworks. If you find yourself in the parks in that timeframe and you don't have a fireworks plan, just find something else to do and hide! Don't try to get out. Madness lies that way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter