Feeling too old for Disney

sonofanarchy

DIS Veteran
Put this on the solo board, but not much traffic there and I could use some opinions. Been going to WDW for 25 years and it's my favorite place in the world (so far). Anyways, I go with the family every summer for 2 weeks and have a great time. However, I have always enjoyed going solo as it really gives the chance to stop and smell the roses, and soak in the atmosphere. But now, as a 37 year old man, I'm feeling very weird about going. I still love the rides in Fantasyland, but I must look like a quack going on them by myself. This is really depressing me. Anyone else that can relate to what I'm going through?

At almost 60, I have gone alone, and enjoyed it. My feeling is I will probably never see these people again, so I don't really care what they think.

At almost 60, I have gone alone, and enjoyed it. My feeling is I will probably never see these people again, so I don't really care what they think.

Where's my "LIKE" button???

I agree with PP that I will never see these people again, so who cares what they think? But also, I think WDW is one place you can go and absolutely not feel weird being solo and older. Look at how accommodating and friendly they are to adults and even solo travelers. CMs are always engaging me in conversation. I also tend to meet a lot of people from all over. Afterall, people don't know if you are with a group that is currently somewhere else. Just remember it's a magical and fun place. And if it makes you happy, go for it! :banana: :woohoo:

69 and we're going again in October. It's our 53rd trip since 1995. Ride on everything!

I would think most people dont pay attention to stuff like that on their vacation. They would likely assume you are with other folks or family and simply wanted to go on the ride. Either way, dont let that stop you from enjoying yourself. I would hate to think anyway would consider not going because of what others thought. Enjoy the magic!

I have gone solo and with my family. I have very different, lovely experiences both ways. I have never even considered what others might think of me being solo. "Too old" is a concept I have not grasped and hope to never. Someday, I will be "too dead" to enjoy WDW, so for now "the others" don't get a vote in my life. :thumbsup2 Go, be joyful, and return ready to spread the magic! :wizard:

This thread isn't about theme parks attractions and strategies, so I've moved it to the Theme Parks Community forum. :)

I still love the rides in Fantasyland, but I must look like a quack going on them by myself. This is really depressing me. Anyone else that can relate to what I'm going through?

I wouldn't worry about this! Everyone is so busy trying to have their own fun, that no one is looking at you. People are generally so concerned with themselves (and so busy and overwhelmed trying to navigate WDW) that they are barely even watching where they are walking ;)

I know how you feel. I am 28 and my first trip was earlier this year. I went with a group of friends who all have kids. I was the only single on the trip, and the only one without kids and/or grandkids. I did a lot of touring by myself (out of choice), and I did feel a little awkward standing in line to meet Snow White or Rapunzel by myself. The most awkward I felt, though, was riding Winnie the Pooh.

Anyway, I understand your concern. To much of society, single guys in a kid-heavy place can seem "suspicious". But as others have said, the people in the crowd and the CMs you meet don't know you are by yourself. I took heart in the fact that people were uniformly kind to me, and that the only "weirdness" I felt was in my own mind.

But if you are seriously concerned about it, find a buddy to go with you! A duo isn't as smell-the-roses-y as a solo, but it's better than a group!

I haven't been going as long as you have and I am a few years younger (33) I am also a Female, but I would rather go solo for the same reasons you mentioned. I dont think I would look twice at a male or female walking around solo. If you are starting to feel uncomforable going along them maybe you can find a travel buddy but I dont think anyone that is there would ever think anything about you being there alone. How would they even know?

It's a great way to chat with people you'll never get a chance to talk to again!! :thumbsup2 You love WDW so keep going. No one will know you're flying solo unless you mention it, so go and enjoy while you can. As a PP said, one day you'll be too dead to go, so go while you're upright and mobile is my opinion!!:lmao:

I'm 36, female and just rediscovered WDW after having been for just a day or 2 during a vacation with my parents in the 90's as well a 3 1-day trips to Disneyland 10 years ago.
I so do not care what other people think...I'm travelling solo, stayed on-site for 10 nights/11 days in april/may, going back for 15 nights in december, followed by another 2-week trip in sept/oct 2014. And no...I do not feel to old for this kind of stuff. WDW is for all kids...big and small, young and old :wizard:
I also had the photopass+ during my recent trip and met tons of characters. Felt awkward at first among all the kids having their pictures taken and getting autographs but that changed real soon...characters spend lots of time with me and I have so much fun.
Who cares about the looks other people give you when your boarding a boat at it's a small world solo or ride Peter Pan by yourself? I really don't care since I'm having the time of me life. You will never ever be too old to enjoy all the things WDW has to offer. Just because it's called a "kiddie ride" doesn't mean adults can't have fun as well :yay:

One of my favorite memories during the trip this past December was meeting an older solo gentleman while waiting in the Test Track line. Turns out he had been stationed at the same base as my cousin (though two decades apart) near DL and we had a wonderful conversation about military life and how DL was way back in the day since he had gone to DL every time he was back in port. I love meeting people who have older Disney memories...of the parks, the Mickey Mouse Club, watching other Disney TV shows.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter