Feeling overwhelmed with So Cal vac planning!

We are definitely going to La Jolla. In the evenings or if we have some free time Ocean beach is closer. Is this a good beach? Sound we stick with Mission Beach?

Are you going as a family w/ young kids?

Ocean Beach is a lot shadier than Mission Beach or La Jolla. La Jolla has great beaches and is a much more upscale community (as you probably know). Mission Beach is great for families. Have you seen the Belmont Park area? http://www.belmontpark.com/ That is Mission Beach.

I love Ocean Beach. I grew up by it. But no, I really wouldn't recommend it to visiting families. (last time I was there) lot more homeless people, not as clean, and no real "touristy" stuff to do (besides walking the pier). Fun little hippy town, but I wouldn't take my kids there for the evening.

Strongly recommend Mission Beach over Ocean Beach. OB always seemed more grungy and run down to me. As you go north to Mission Beach and Pacific Beach the beaches are more upbeat.[/QUOTE

Are you going as a family w/ young kids?

Ocean Beach is a lot shadier than Mission Beach or La Jolla. La Jolla has great beaches and is a much more upscale community (as you probably know). Mission Beach is great for families. Have you seen the Belmont Park area? http://www.belmontpark.com/ That is Mission Beach.

I love Ocean Beach. I grew up by it. But no, I really wouldn't recommend it to visiting families. (last time I was there) lot more homeless people, not as clean, and no real "touristy" stuff to do (besides walking the pier). Fun little hippy town, but I wouldn't take my kids there for the evening.

Yikes! I think we will steer clear of Ocean Beach! We have a 7 year old and two 5 year olds. Mission Beach sounds like just the place for us. We probably won't be going to the beach all day, just squeezing it in here and there.

Still trying to decide about downtown and airport hotels though. hmmmm

Thanks for the comments, this has been great!

Since the posts have been about San Diego beaches I hope you don't mind if I ask a question. My kids love to snorkel. I see La Jolla has great snorkeling. We are staying in Coronado-- do they have snorkeling there or we should we go to La Jolla? Thanks!

Since the posts have been about San Diego beaches I hope you don't mind if I ask a question. My kids love to snorkel. I see La Jolla has great snorkeling. We are staying in Coronado-- do they have snorkeling there or we should we go to La Jolla? Thanks!

La Jolla is the only place in San Diego that I can think of where people snorkel. Coronado has great beaches, but not for snorkeling.

We changed our hotel plans again. Parking was $12 a night for downtown and reviews of the hotel said there was a 3:00am train that blew its horn every night. I am a light sleeper and have trouble going back to sleep, so we decided that might not be a good fit for us. Now we are staying in the Kearny Mesa area. It seems to be a nice neighborhood and centrally located.

Everything is booked, so now just the fine details and packing! :cool2:

Thanks again for all the advice! Wishing you all the best!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter